Email Address and Associated IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Question is, can my Visa card investigators actually track down this [censored] with an IP address (and house location) associated with the Yahoo email address they used? Or can these crooks completely hide themselves when pulling off on-line orders with someone else's credit card info?

They technically can, but they generally won't, assuming it's not part of a larger organized crime issue. It will require warrants across various state jurisdictions, or perhaps even the involvement of the FBI, and they won't bother with something like this. However, if Visa's security people determine that it's part of something larger (i.e. organized), law enforcement certainly could get involved.

Let's put it this way. If a tech person at a place where you buy something online snags your card and buys something and doesn't make it habitual, law enforcement won't care. If the tech person sells the database of credit cards or uses customer credit cards to finance his lifestyle, there will be trouble.
wink.gif

And yes, stuff can be compromised online. It can happen with brick and mortar transactions, too. I'd agree that online is safer, assuming that proper protocols are in place, but that's not always the case. If Sony doesn't bother encrypting stored credit card numbers, who else is using idiotic technology?

Most likely someone added a skimmer on a place you swipe the card, or an online company storing your card on file had a security breach.

Once in a while we heard employees added or modified the card reader to log the magnetic stripe reading, then sell it to crime ring to make fake credit cards.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Most likely someone added a skimmer on a place you swipe the card, or an online company storing your card on file had a security breach.

Once in a while we heard employees added or modified the card reader to log the magnetic stripe reading, then sell it to crime ring to make fake credit cards.

Does anyone know for sure if information like your address and phone number associated with the card are actually stored on the card magnetic strip and/or RF chip? If not, then it wasn't a skimmer.

Another reason I don't think it was a skimmer is because the one place where they tried to order $565 worth of wine on-line said they didn't use my initial in my name which is shown on the card itself. Sometimes I don't use my initial when doing on-line orders, so I'd say the info was hacked on the internet at some place I've used my card.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If this kind of thing bothers you, sign up for "Verified by VISA" (the other cards have similar programs) that pretty much eliminate the chance of fraud with an online transaction.

I called my bank and asked about the "Verified by Visa" service. I was told that a website needs to be setup to make use of the service, and that not all websites will support it. If the website does support Verified by Visa, then you will be asked for a code to enter as another layer of security (basically a PIN). Of course if a scammer using your card info doesn't have the required code they will fail, and then just go find some other website that doesn't use Verified by Visa.

The guy said if all websites used a system like Verified by Visa, that 98% of the credit card fraud on-line would be eliminated. Same could be achieved by making every transaction needing a PIN for in person transactions ... which is essentially what Verified by Visa is doing for on-line buying.

I also asked the guy if your full address and phone number associated with the credit card are stored in the magnetic strip and/or RF chip. He said he didn't think so. That means if someone hacks your card with a skimmer or RF reader, they will have to glean the missing info from someplace else in order to use the card on-line, because many merchants use your billing address and phone number to match the card number with the card's associated address and phone number. Scammers that do skimming are probably the guys who make fake physical cards and use them in person since most stores don't even ask for ID or ask for a PIN to be entered.

Such a loose system ... it's really ridiculous when you think about it.

Update on my credit card fraud. I found out that one of the fraud charges was for multiple tickets to a concert event; tickets bought on-line with my name and credit card info. I called the place that sold the tickets and explained the situation and they told me the tickets were indeed in my name, and were to be picked up at the box office will call window an hour or less before the event starts. Box office manager said they will have to show ID to get the tickets, but I'm betting the guy will probably have some sort of fake ID to present if he's done this type of scam before.

I called the local police department near where the box office is located, and let them know the situation. They said if the box office wants to call 911 and give these scammers some kind of an excuse to delay them for 5 minutes, the police will send a squad car to apprehend these people (it will be a group of people going to this concert, not just one guy). They may be in for a really rude awakening.
grin.gif
Guy who did this is probably doing this all the time - maybe this could be the end of his scamming career if the police apprehend and start digging into this guy.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Update on my credit card fraud. I found out that one of the fraud charges was for multiple tickets to a concert event; tickets bought on-line with my name and credit card info. I called the place that sold the tickets and explained the situation and they told me the tickets were indeed in my name, and were to be picked up at the box office will call window an hour or less before the event starts. Box office manager said they will have to show ID to get the tickets, but I'm betting the guy will probably have some sort of fake ID to present if he's done this type of scam before.

I called the local police department near where the box office is located, and let them know the situation. They said if the box office wants to call 911 and give these scammers some kind of an excuse to delay them for 5 minutes, the police will send a squad car to apprehend these people (it will be a group of people going to this concert, not just one guy). They may be in for a really rude awakening.
grin.gif
Guy who did this is probably doing this all the time - maybe this could be the end of his scamming career if the police apprehend and start digging into this guy.

If I worked for "not enough money" at a box office handing out tickets I would do absolutely nothing. It's not worth any potential conflict. You sir, are spending two much time playing private eye. Use your new credit card and let the bank handle this.

There is a good possibility this guy is one step ahead of you and will have someone pickup the tickets (other than the person who ordered them) as they probably have already been resold for more than face value. This is probably not the criminals first rodeo- as you have already stated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
If I worked for "not enough money" at a box office handing out tickets I would do absolutely nothing. It's not worth any potential conflict. You sir, are spending two much time playing private eye. Use your new credit card and let the bank handle this.

I like playing private eye - and besides it's my time to do what I want in this matter, nobody else should be telling me what to do. When it happens to you, then you can ignore it and do nothing. It's interesting to see just how much info I can dig up on this situation. Unlike most people that frown, shrug and move on without doing anything, I like to get down to the nitty gritty, especially if it's something that impacts my life.

Originally Posted By: CKN
There is a good possibility this guy is one step ahead of you and will have someone pickup the tickets (other than the person who ordered them) as they probably have already been resold for more than face value. This is probably not the criminals first rodeo- as you have already stated.

Could be the box office won't call the cops, my feeling is they probably won't as it's their call since I cant' do it myself. Who knows, if the guy who scammed is apprehended it's possible the police could get information to who's behind some of this identity theft and fraudulent buying. If it's some sucker that bought tickets that are being resold, then it's his lose and he can deal with the scammer if he even knows who it really is.

But I doubt that's the case because these specific tickets are being held for someone using my name who bought them on-line. If someone then re-sold the tickets and told the guy to go pick them up at will call under name XYZ, then he doesn't know that ID is required to obtain the tickets at will call. Seems like a scammer that wants to resell tickets would have just had them sent someplace via mail and then resell them on Craigslist or however. If he would have asked for them to be mailed then there wouldn't be any ID required to pick them up at will call.

One thing is for sure, the box office manager told me they will NOT give out these tickets even if the guy has a fake ID that has all my information on it. If I can at least [censored] them off, then I've won and they lost on this one. They also lost on getting the $565 worth of wine they tried to order on-line, as the shipment was stopped after I called the place they made the order from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back