Elon Musk

Elon tweeted after starting production in Fremont, "If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me."

I hope he knows the Santa Rita Jail is struggling with the CV...

Originally Posted by wag123
Unstable immature egomaniacal con man control freak is how I see him. Genius? Not hardly! To put him in the same category as Edison, Tesla, and Einstein would be an insult to all three.

Why do you think Musk is different from Edison?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Elon tweeted after starting production in Fremont, "If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me."

I hope he knows the Santa Rita Jail is struggling with the CV...

And to watch out for a guy named Bubba....

Originally Posted by Leo99
Unstable immature egomaniacal con man control freak is how I see him. Genius? Not hardly! To put him in the same category as Edison, Tesla, and Einstein would be an insult to all three.

Why do you think Musk is different from Edison?

Musk hasn't electrocuted an elephant yet.

Fully agree!

#NotAFan

If you follow politics, you're following quite a few "rich and famous".
Musk knows how to stay in the news and not get into trouble that would affect his life. If he gets arrested, more publicity for him and his company.
What if I started a thread praising Danica Patrick on this site, could you imagine how long it would be in a matter of hours?
He's rabble rousing, getting free advertising, and some sympathy!

FYI, Silicon Valley execs, to a large extent, do outlandish things.
Maybe not like Elon, but to change the world, you go big or go home.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
There was a revealing article in Wired Magazine about a year ago that showed Musk to be a tyrant genius. No way could yours truly tolerate him.

What percent of self built billionaires do they think are kittens?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
A hot mess? Threatening to move Tesla from Ca to Texas or Nevada over the shutdown, suing the state of Ca, saying a few weeks ago he was going to sell all of his possessions, naming his and his baby mama child some weird name with a combination of numbers and letters "XAE A-12" or something to that effect. I heard it has something to do with a rocket and I've read that it translates to Kyle...IDK!
crazy2.gif

Can't say I blame him for wanting to leave California. Hopefully others think the same way.

Not a fan of Tesla personally. I think it's a joke and that the cars are ugly. SpaceX on the other hand is interesting to me. I've been following them since 2012. They've picked up what NASA dropped IMO.

He's an eccentric dude. I can't say I find any fault in that. The world would be different without him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by Wolf359
He's not moving. As I've said elsewhere: he's just a simulation whose future ancestors just want to see what an a-hole he was...
smile.gif

Yeah, except we're not in a simulation if you believe in the fractional quantum hall effect.

https://www.popsci.com/quantum-hall-computer-simulation/

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/9/e1701758

It doesn't matter what I believe, it only matters what Elon believes...

Thanks for the links though...

Oh yeah, let me know what you think about the factional quantum hall effect. I think a Nobel prize was issued for its discovery back in 1998.

I'll get back to you on that one!

I've read that Elon's belief in it springs from watching how advanced video games have become and he thinks that it's inevitable that it would advance to such a stage that you wouldn't be able to distinguish between a simulation or not.

But I don't think he's factored in built in limitations to certain things. We still don't have AI like it was predicted in the past but we're getting closer. Fusion power is still 20 years away like it's been for several decades. Star Trek thought we'd be traveling to the stars in the 90's. Commercial plane travel is subsonic now as supersonic doesn't make financial sense. And the fractional quantum hall effect says that it and many other things can't be simulated because once you get beyond a few hundred particles, you would need more matter than in all the universe to build a computer that could calculate/simulate it. And real life is made up of way more than a few hundred particles. Each additional particle increases the difficulty exponentially.

I think you caught my irony. It's one of the key reasons I mistrust Musk and some of the "genius"-idolatry misplaced. There are multiple examples of Musk "not getting it" and acting like a self-promoting charlatan that doesn't process nonlinear thinking well and showing he may have more in common with the "genius" of Barnum and Bailey than the mentioned Edison or Tesla. I think that while it would be feasible for a future civilian to create a Matrix of sims to study, I think even over and above the science-based criticism of us being in one is the ethical implications. Would our future ancestors create sentient, self-aware beings (at least to a point) capable of feeling immense emotional and physical pain. Video game characters do not necessitate sentience. I doubt any evolved civiliazation would even allow it.

If they did they would simply be creating something akin to the "Hosts" in Westworld, creating suffering for entertainment. But even a cursory reading of Wikipedia and other articles I've read indicate that the Sim Hypothesis is assumptive rather than evidence based, as in "they can do it so they must have". It's interesting, but we could speculate about a lot of things such as parallel universes, etc. because they're actually more likely...

Other examples of Musk "not getting it" include the "Thai Cave" incident where he wanted to build a sub to drive through water filled tunnels and pop up and rescue the kids like an episode in some submarine sci-fi TV show. The problem was that anyone watching more than ten minutes of any news coverage of that event knew the caves were not all water filled and his solution was preposterous. So then he then engaged in defamation, calling the guy that actually got the kids out a "pedophile" and questions his motivation. I mean, that doesn't scream out-and-out genius to me, not the sort I would prefer to admire like Stephen Hawking.

Tesla also has a fairly horrendous worker safety record, one of the worst in the automotive world if not manufacturing in general IIRC. Lax safety practices are not productive and cannot be written off as Musk being "driven with an insane work ethic". That reeks of a two steps forward, one backward mentality. He said he was going to make ventilators, but ended up sending CA CPAP machines instead! He wants to relocated? Go to the Midwest and set up next to the meat processing plants closed by COVID-19 infections!

That being said, no one wants Tesla to succeed more than I do. Tesla has a huge factory here not that far from my place, I love Tesla cars and fully believe in a lot of his underlying ethos and I do agree with Musk on some issues like the existential dangers of unrestrained, ill thought out, AI. He has been successful in turning Tesla to profitability and his Space X is great. One of the reasons that SpaceX seems to work is that Elon lets someone else run it and stays out of the way as the ideas guy. Maybe something he'd be better off doing in Tesla...

I don't care what he does, as long as he keeps make cool things I'm ok with him. I'll never know nor do I care what these people are like personally. Leave that to his friends and psychiatrists.

And quite frankly, having the option to move to a different state is what makes this republic great. Competition and freedom.

He's a salesman just like his polar opposite twin brother at the top of the executive branch. They say what their fans like to hear, nothing more nothing less.

I think you caught my irony. It's one of the key reasons I mistrust Musk and some of the "genius"-idolatry misplaced. There are multiple examples of Musk "not getting it" and acting like a self-promoting charlatan that doesn't process nonlinear thinking well and showing he may have more in common with the "genius" of Barnum and Bailey than the mentioned Edison or Tesla. I think that while it would be feasible for a future civilian to create a Matrix of sims to study, I think even over and above the science-based criticism of us being in one is the ethical implications. Would our future ancestors create sentient, self-aware beings (at least to a point) capable of feeling immense emotional and physical pain. Video game characters do not necessitate sentience. I doubt any evolved civiliazation would even allow it.

If they did they would simply be creating something akin to the "Hosts" in Westworld, creating suffering for entertainment. But even a cursory reading of Wikipedia and other articles I've read indicate that the Sim Hypothesis is assumptive rather than evidence based, as in "they can do it so they must have". It's interesting, but we could speculate about a lot of things such as parallel universes, etc. because they're actually more likely...

Other examples of Musk "not getting it" include the "Thai Cave" incident where he wanted to build a sub to drive through water filled tunnels and pop up and rescue the kids like an episode in some submarine sci-fi TV show. The problem was that anyone watching more than ten minutes of any news coverage of that event knew the caves were not all water filled and his solution was preposterous. So then he then engaged in defamation, calling the guy that actually got the kids out a "pedophile" and questions his motivation. I mean, that doesn't scream out-and-out genius to me, not the sort I would prefer to admire like Stephen Hawking.

Tesla also has a fairly horrendous worker safety record, one of the worst in the automotive world if not manufacturing in general IIRC. Lax safety practices are not productive and cannot be written off as Musk being "driven with an insane work ethic". That reeks of a two steps forward, one backward mentality. He said he was going to make ventilators, but ended up sending CA CPAP machines instead! He wants to relocated? Go to the Midwest and set up next to the meat processing plants closed by COVID-19 infections!

That being said, no one wants Tesla to succeed more than I do. Tesla has a huge factory here not that far from my place, I love Tesla cars and fully believe in a lot of his underlying ethos and I do agree with Musk on some issues like the existential dangers of unrestrained, ill thought out, AI. He has been successful in turning Tesla to profitability and his Space X is great. One of the reasons that SpaceX seems to work is that Elon lets someone else run it and stays out of the way as the ideas guy. Maybe something he'd be better off doing in Tesla...

It has been rumored the Elon suffers from a mild degree of autism. When viewed through that lens I think of him more as Christopher Loyd acting as Doc Brown in Back to the Future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
If Tesla leaves Fremont, he will lose the Silicon Valley talent base which fuels his company...
It was bad when NUMMI closed which is a main reason Fremont offered Musk a ton of incentives at the time.
Touché.

A shame all that 'talent base' with its intellectual wisdom sent our friends with GM and Toyota down the river.
Decent pay for perfunctory tasks. And then the exodus.

Of course several companies have successfully compartmentalized administrative and production contributions to different locales.

I think that Tesla's leaving California is a forgone conclusion and only a matter of time. Elon has been threatening to leave for several years and move to a "right to work state" over his employee's attempts to unionize. The reason that his employees wanted to unionize to begin with is because of how poorly they are treated, his regular violations of labor laws, and because of Tesla's dismal safety record. He also despises California's regulations and paying California's taxes.

I think that Tesla's leaving California is a forgone conclusion and only a matter of time. Elon has been threatening to leave for several years and move to a "right to work state" over his employee's attempts to unionize. The reason that his employees wanted to unionize to begin with is because of how poorly they are treated, his regular violations of labor laws, and because of Tesla's dismal safety record. He also despises California's regulations and paying California's taxes.

That may all be true, but he also has a track record of making nonsensical statements and threats he never follows through on. That said, I'd love to see the Buffalo "Solar City" Tesla plant become something more than a panel project...

California is simply hostile to manufacturing anything but software IP.

If you build actual products they don't want you here.

You will be regulated, penalized, fee'd, inspected, permitted and regulated into near oblivion.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
California is simply hostile to manufacturing anything but software IP.

If you build actual products they don't want you here.

You will be regulated, penalized, fee'd, inspected, permitted and regulated into near oblivion.

UD

I agree 100000%

Remember, Tesla's edge is software. That's why they are here.
For example, when Ford started their self-driving program, the Dearborn guys went to Palo Alto. Pretty pricey place...
Another example is the Porsche Taycan. Electric it is, high tech it ain't.

The things Musk has done, such as coding his own ERP system, just might be impossible anywhere but Silicon Valley.
Status quo don't cut it here. You gotta want more; you gotta want different.

Will Elon leave? Who the heck knows. He's whack. Hang on for the ride.

Last edited:
Back