Elon Musk

Originally Posted by Trav
The man reminds me of Howard Hughes in some ways. Absolutely brilliant mind, loads of wealth and nutty as it gets.

Spot on!! But I think his "brilliant mind" is a bit overrated....

The guy is a genius. And he doesn't care if you don't like him.
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Sounds like some one coming un-glued .

I pay little / no attention to the rich and famous .

Unfortunately, the 'rich and famous' get a lot of 'airtime' by our biased mainstream media....especially when they take positions that the media support.
Their opinions are no better than mine....but I don't get to spout mine all over the media....

You start a car company and establish a net worth of $30B and people will be interested in your opinions.

Why do you think the media is be biased in covering what the outspoken and eccentric CEO of a new and exciting car company has to say?

I guess raving lunatics on twitter who are man children is acceptable behavior.

He has nothing to loose but time and money moving a factory. Big bluffer

Successful, innovators, tinkers most always are not your average Joe, they are driven, have different OCDs, different phobias. Most of us have great ideas but never follow through on them, never get out of bed at 4 am to catch flight to present so a venture capitalists after travelling for 8 hours. It takes a different breed to stay focused and execute on plans and when everyone says, you are crazy for wanting to build an electric vehicle which is battery operated.

Seriously, crack? then we should be giving it out at lunch in schools [sarcasm, pls do NOT dispense crack in schools]

One should not spend hours critic the man who brought us a vehicle that can out do a $ million sports car. Yeah he is nutz but I bet ya he thinks I am nuttier ;-).

Originally Posted by Chris142
Good. My state hates busisnesse's and needs to lose $$$ from them leaving. Maybe then the dolts running the state will understand where $$$ comes from.

CA is the 5th largest economy in the world. I'm not sure we hate business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
A hot mess? Threatening to move Tesla from Ca to Texas or Nevada over the shutdown, suing the state of Ca, saying a few weeks ago he was going to sell all of his possessions, naming his and his baby mama child some weird name with a combination of numbers and letters "XAE A-12" or something to that effect. I heard it has something to do with a rocket and I've read that it translates to Kyle...IDK!
crazy2.gif

Ah, so it's pronounced phonetically. I was wondering how "the unknown X-factor, love, and the A-12 Oxcart" was pronounced when combined.

He sounds like a modern day Edison. Brains get you only so far, both of these guys work(ed) hard for unbelievably long hours. And Musk is able to motivate people to perform at and beyond their peak, much like Edison did.
His mistake is expecting anything resembling intellect from the mindless bots that make up most of the bureaucracy that runs many California urban communities.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
A hot mess? Threatening to move Tesla from Ca to Texas or Nevada over the shutdown, suing the state of Ca, saying a few weeks ago he was going to sell all of his possessions, naming his and his baby mama child some weird name with a combination of numbers and letters "XAE A-12" or something to that effect. I heard it has something to do with a rocket and I've read that it translates to Kyle...IDK!
crazy2.gif

Ah, so it's pronounced phonetically. I was wondering how "the unknown X-factor, love, and the A-12 Oxcart" was pronounced when combined.

He sounds like a modern day Edison. Brains get you only so far, both of these guys work(ed) hard for unbelievably long hours. And Musk is able to motivate people to perform at and beyond their peak, much like Edison did.
His mistake is expecting anything resembling intellect from the mindless bots that make up most of the bureaucracy that runs many California urban communities.

He's also a histrionic, erratic mental case and drama queen that has been removed from nearly every company leadership position he's ever had...

Edison was a plagiarist that tinkered, not an inventor.There's a huge difference. I wouldn't necessarily call Elon an inventor either, maybe a refiner. Sure, nobody's made electric cars like his, but all of the underlying technology was already there in some form. Even the self-driving stuff. So he would be like Edison, taking others' original ideas and throwing mad amounts of other peoples' money at them until something worked.

Neither is an inventor in the same sense of the word as Elon's company namesake, Nikola Tesla. Tesla was a real inventor, and yes, probably "nutty" to those of us who didn't understand ideas that were a century ahead of their time. There are things 130 years later of Tesla's inventions that we still can't duplicate. The man essentially created the driving force for the entire 20th century as we know it, and thanks to Edison's hatred of what he couldn't understand nor plagiarize, he hated Tesla and used his powerful, wealthy friends to drive the man into obscurity. Kids these days don't even know who Tesla is, yet spew favorable lies about Edison like he actually accomplished something novel. Alas, history is written by the winners and those with the deepest pockets... not the actual truth.

Plagiarist is a polite way to say intellectual property thief. But he was and is an American Icon. So was Einstein, but you cannot say that. There were many of those.

Those refiners used to be called re-packagers. Linus Torwalds is a great example, but another re-packager William Gates somehow made it. He was born at the right time.

Originally Posted by BHopkins

I agree with Ws6. Elon is a genius. And he has serious mental issues. Perhaps it comes with the genius.

I don't know squat about Elon, but I will tell you after a long career in law enforcement, it is startling how many emotionally disturbed individuals are highly intelligent.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Edison was a plagiarist that tinkered, not an inventor.There's a huge difference. I wouldn't necessarily call Elon an inventor either, maybe a refiner. Sure, nobody's made electric cars like his, but all of the underlying technology was already there in some form. Even the self-driving stuff. So he would be like Edison, taking others' original ideas and throwing mad amounts of other peoples' money at them until something worked.

Neither is an inventor in the same sense of the word as Elon's company namesake, Nikola Tesla. Tesla was a real inventor, and yes, probably "nutty" to those of us who didn't understand ideas that were a century ahead of their time. There are things 130 years later of Tesla's inventions that we still can't duplicate. The man essentially created the driving force for the entire 20th century as we know it, and thanks to Edison's hatred of what he couldn't understand nor plagiarize, he hated Tesla and used his powerful, wealthy friends to drive the man into obscurity. Kids these days don't even know who Tesla is, yet spew favorable lies about Edison like he actually accomplished something novel. Alas, history is written by the winners and those with the deepest pockets... not the actual truth.

Tesla was the OG mad scientist. Brilliant mind. A bit touched. Tesla backed AC while Edison backed DC. AC won. Tesla wasn't interested in money. Tesla had ideas for the wireless charging that just came out a few years ago.

He's definitely toeing that line between genius and insanity. I think it depends on which day you catch him. In his defense, California is not very helpful towards businesses to begin with so I can see where he's coming from given that they're mostly shut down last I checked.

Subie, I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I don't see anywhere in my post where I called Edison an inventor. Kinda looks like you set up a strawman, then commented on it. But I may be looking at it wrong.

FWIW, it was just announced Elon is restarting production and telling county officials to shove it. I think I'm going to pop some popcorn and watch.

Can't say enough to complement Tesla the man. As far as I'm concerned one of the smartest things Musk ever did was to co-opt the name.

Originally Posted by Leo99

You start a car company and establish a net worth of $30B and people will be interested in your opinions.

Why do you think the media is be biased in covering what the outspoken and eccentric CEO of a new and exciting car company has to say?

It should be noted that technically, he didn't start Tesla, Eberhard and Tarpenning did.

Those two brought Musk in as a money man (courtesy his returns as one of the PayPal Mafia), and he eventually forced them out, which should be the subject of a good book one day (after everyone dies and the settlement agreements and hush money no longer matter).

Musk does deserve enormous credit for building the company, through his ability to raise capital, and vision (if not operational acumen). It's right to question whether the other two would have been able to achieve the same.

He's got an incredible work ethic, and single-mindedness, but it also make him a difficult boss. Impulsiveness and the lack of self control are not his strong suits. And, despite all these years in the spotlight, he's still awkward and less than a dynamic public presence.

One wonders how much father along Tesla would be if he'd had a yin to balance out his yang, or trusted #1/COO, or "adult supervision" like he does at SpaceX.

naming his and his baby mama child some weird name with a combination of numbers and letters "XAE A-12" or something to that effect. I heard it has something to do with a rocket and I've read that it translates to Kyle...IDK!
crazy2.gif

X - Chi
ae
A-12 - twelfth letter - L

Except he's usng Chi with a k sound...

REally handly for the kid growing up...

Unstable immature egomaniacal con man control freak is how I see him. Genius? Not hardly! To put him in the same category as Edison, Tesla, and Einstein would be an insult to all three.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
He's not moving. As I've said elsewhere: he's just a simulation whose future ancestors just want to see what an a-hole he was...
smile.gif

Yeah, except we're not in a simulation if you believe in the fractional quantum hall effect.

https://www.popsci.com/quantum-hall-computer-simulation/

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/9/e1701758

It doesn't matter what I believe, it only matters what Elon believes...

Thanks for the links though...

Oh yeah, let me know what you think about the factional quantum hall effect. I think a Nobel prize was issued for its discovery back in 1998.

I've read that Elon's belief in it springs from watching how advanced video games have become and he thinks that it's inevitable that it would advance to such a stage that you wouldn't be able to distinguish between a simulation or not.

But I don't think he's factored in built in limitations to certain things. We still don't have AI like it was predicted in the past but we're getting closer. Fusion power is still 20 years away like it's been for several decades. Star Trek thought we'd be traveling to the stars in the 90's. Commercial plane travel is subsonic now as supersonic doesn't make financial sense. And the fractional quantum hall effect says that it and many other things can't be simulated because once you get beyond a few hundred particles, you would need more matter than in all the universe to build a computer that could calculate/simulate it. And real life is made up of way more than a few hundred particles. Each additional particle increases the difficulty exponentially.

Back