ELIMINATES ALL (contaminant) ENGINE WEAR!!!!

Volkswagen filters were the ones to beat back then.
1718456078755.jpeg

I'd be curious to see/know how it would test out under today's ISO 4548-12 efficiency standard . . .
Good question.
Was it really that good - -
& then pleated cellulose filters got “cheaper & cheaper” over time?!??
Or was it 90% efficient at 35 µm ?!?!?

Even in 1967, people understood the basic logic that better filtration meant cleaner oil and less wear. 😄
It’s actually really amazing to me . . . Just *HOW Many* vehicles were produced - -
for so many years - - without ANY type of oil filtration *AT ALL* .
Barely even a screen , *if that*

Not much, IIRC... I had 2, my first car-an anemic 1200 CC 40 HP 63 MPH on flat ground top speed '64 Beetle, and a somewhat better '73 Type III fuel injected Squareback. Frequent oil changes were a good idea!
Kept out the chunks. Makes you wonder what would be found on that screen. Does anyone remember?
I did many oil changes on these, and I only recall seeing parts of gaskets, seals, and some carbon.
There was also usually a pasty substance, across the bottom plate, that would rinse off in the parts cleaner.
3,000 mile OCIs were called for, never used synthetic, they did have an oil cooler, there were relatively few oil related engine failures.
Probably because a valve would drop, or the studs would pull loose in the case, before there was much of a chance for bearing problems. I can recall a few thrust bearing failures.
The dealers usually had at least one, (sometimes two) "unit man" that did nothing but engine and transmission overhauls, in the "unit room."
Having a rebuilt engine was common, and (relatively) cheap on those. Early Type 1, 2, 3 models used the screen, Type 4 finally got an oil filter.

It’s actually really amazing to me . . . Just *HOW Many* vehicles were produced - -
for so many years - - without ANY type of oil filtration *AT ALL* .
Barely even a screen , *if that*
Many of those engines really didn't last very long compared to today. Seemed they were showing signs of lots of wear around the 100K-125K mile mark. Of course all the other things that help reduce engine wear (air filter, oil, materials used for engine parts, manufacturing techniques, etc) were also not as good as they are today.

Last edited:
Many of those engines really didn't last very long compared to today. Seemed they were showing signs of lots of wear around the 100K-125K mile mark. Of course all the other things that help reduce engine wear (air filter, oil, materials used for engine parts, manufacturing techniques, etc) were also not as good as they are today.
Yes, many needed a "valve job", and also the rest of the vehicle was not built to last either. It was common to have to replace several suspension parts way before that 100k. And maybe a muffler or two.

If the screen on the oil pump pick-up tube is good enough for the oil pump, then it must be good enough for the rest of the engine. 😜 😄

Back