ELF 5w-30 synthetic + BMW 330Ci (E46)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my BMW in for a Pre purchase inspection, when I bought it, it was done by a very reputable BMW indep. shop. They also changed the oil during the PPI.

The oil they used is noted as "ELF synthetic 5w-30, meets OEM requirements."
The oil has about 6k miles on it now. in about another 2k miles, i am planning to get an OC done on the car, also at a local BMW specialized indie shop. The owner told me they use BMW (Castrol Softech?) synthetic oil (5w-30) for oil changes, but i can bring my own oil if I want to...

As i have no experience with any other oil in this car, I am wondering...should I stay with the same ELF oil? The car drives fine with it, but then I guess the BMW oil will be fine too...

Also, what's the reputation of the ELF oil? Is it considered a "good" oil for BMWs? Just wondering why the indie shop used it, etc.

Last edited:
ELF/Total make very good oils, just make sure the oil you get is certified to the specs of your Beemer. What the heck is castrol softech? I think he is planning on putting Syntec in your car. Bring your own oil until you find out what he is talking about.

http://www.lubadmin.com/Restitution.aspx...mp;Parametre1=6

Hopefully it was ELF Solaris LLX 5W30.

Hate to say it, but a lot of these so-called "reputable indy shops" really are not that knowledgeable when it comes to oil. They often assume that a product made by the same supplier is always compatible even if there are many versions (e.g. assuming all Elf products are suitable for BMWs). So I would check and make sure that the correct ELF product was used, or I would change the oil ASAP.

Any oil with BMW LL-01 rating will be fine. Some of the least expensive motors oils can be found at the dealership for ~$5.75 bottle (5w-30 BMW branded Castrol).

Other options available at autoparts stores are are M1 0w-40, and Castrol 0w-30.

Drive more worry less!

Last edited:
I am currently using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 (winter) and M1HM 10W-40 ( summer) in my '02 330ci with excellent results. Both oils are A3 rated and are rated for the correct HTHS for this engine.

What's not to like? A strong robust oil with cleaning agents that are most excellent, easily available, and cheap at Walmart!

Using BMW filters and this oil on 5K OCIs are serving me well! 135k miles on the car.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Any oil with BMW LL-01 rating will be fine. Some of the least expensive motors oils can be found at the dealership for ~$5.75 bottle (5w-30 BMW branded Castrol).

Other options available at autoparts stores are are M1 0w-40, and Castrol 0w-30.

Drive more worry less!

+1

I use Castrol 0w30. It and Mobil1 0w40 are both available at Pep Boys or Autozone, Mobil1 0w40 also available at WalMart.

Your second Indie shop is using the right stuff too. The BMW-branded oil is formulated for BMW by Castrol and I believe that in Europe it is called Softech. It's definitely not Syntec and not available in the States except at the dealer. If you want to use Syntec make sure it's the 0w30 European Formula in order to meet BMW's guidelines.

From BMW's guidelines:

BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil
(BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866)
BMW Long-life rating LL-01

Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Any oil with BMW LL-01 rating will be fine. (5w-30 BMW branded Castrol)Drive more worry less!

Actually for street use in NA any 5W-30 OTC synthetic is more than fine if you're not into pushing the OCI.

Like previously stated just use any oil that is LL-01, I have gone off the reservation and used ACEA a3/b3 spec which I was told is the LL-01 spec but the company did not go through the BMW certification.
In my BMW e46, m54 right now I am using Rotella T6 5-40. I've used castrol 5-40, M1 0-40, Rotella T6 5-40, all but T6 are LL01 cert. I like the 40 grade cuz I think I'm getting some additional cooling feature, maybe not... makes me feel good.

Not every synthetic 5/30 can be used if you are using BMW's 15,000 mile oci. I do mine every 7,000 miles and my engine runs great and is clean as a whistle. I replaced the valve cove recently. 142,000 miles.

I have met guys that just don't worry about oil and they use 5/30 conventional @ 5,000 mile oci and have close to 200,000 miles on their BMWs they laugh at me for paying for synthetic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back