Electric cars make utility bills cheaper for everyone, new research finds

not very well written..
To arrive at the $1.7 billion figure, researchers assumed that EV owners were billed a higher rate than other customers, in accordance with California's tiered-rate system that hikes prices for bigger energy consumers. The results could be different in other regions, Whited said.
ASSuME

How about for owners that have solar panels with net billing and dont pay for electricity did that lower rates for everyone too? :unsure: :LOL:

Very shallow article that reads like a rah rah puff piece.

in my neck of the woods there is no peak/off peak pricing... just the price...
Same here. They have the critical peak pricing when it's summertime and the hottest but that's it. The article also completely misses the fact that off peak times are also off peak generation when using Solar. CA wants you to only use power between 8-10am or something

I found out that you have to ask for that. My power company just like yours does an average that they say makes it pretty even, which I'm not sure they do out of the kindness of their heart. I've had my bill changed to show the usage of peak and off peak usage so I can see if it will actually lower our bill being properly charged for our usage. I finally got interested in finding this out after we bought our Tesla. I will only be charging it off peak and then comparing cost to what it would have been on their one size fits all billing.

To me, it reinforces the fact that EV's are not the utopia they were often touted to be.

Maybe you can point out the part of the story where you came to that conclusion. It basically says it's easy money for the power company since your vehicle you were once paying for fuel for is charging on their power supply so that's money going to them instead of gas stations and oil companies. What shocks me owning one is how little it actually costs to charge the vehicle and it costs much less to operate than my extremely fuel efficient hatchback.

I wouldn't call it utopia, but it's a heck of a lot better to own than I thought.

Maybe you can point out the part of the story where you came to that conclusion. It basically says it's easy money for the power company since your vehicle you were once paying for fuel for is charging on their power supply so that's money going to them instead of gas stations and oil companies. What shocks me owning one is how little it actually costs to charge the vehicle and it costs much less to operate than my extremely fuel efficient hatchback.

I wouldn't call it utopia, but it's a heck of a lot better to own than I thought.

Well, if you are ok with strip mining and in some instances child and/or slave labor I'm glad that is working out for you. There is a macro view of EV's that is necessary to keep em selling. This story represents just that.

Before we get to that; please address the fallacy the article begins with by claiming EV' owners are cutting their carbon footprint. That argument holds no water when traced to the source of the minerals/natural resources that are required for the manufacture. And that does not even address the social issues of slave labor/child labor often, but not always used to acquire same. Guessing Lebron James' kinda argument will come to attack this but same situation. The virtue that was sold to EV's is not quite coming to fruition. While yes, from dealer lot to end of life, just might be. But that begets the entire manufacturing process. Sooo not quite as altruistic as it may initially appear.

The article states utility rates are down for "everyone." Where in 2022 have electric rates gone down? Maybe they have in your community. I'm in NY and mine have gone up by more than 28%. Have your electric rates gone down? If so please give us the #'s. How many miles on your EV? When did you buy? WHat was the cost of home charge when you bought compared to now? Savings $$?

They can have their place and I see especially valuable for a work commute in urban area. But more and more they are not what was promised by many and that article is written with an agenda behind it. And if that article is correct, can you explain to me why CA is looking to ditch the mandated 30% IIRC grid payback? Related or no? I ask in sincerity as I am not up on CA electric issues. Maybe WI is a different animl and maybe you are legit with the lowered electric rates you've been provided. I'm interested to hear about it.

My question is what happens when off-peak electrical demand exceeds off-peak capacity and approaches peak capacity?

You’re confusing retail and wholesale prices. The fact that retail stays flat when wholesale drops at night means fat margins when supplying night time charging needs. Most utilities pass this benefit on through monthly energy charge adjustments. The second benefit is the cost of transmission and distribution facilities is spread over more kWh’s lowering that charge too. T&D charges are only adjusted in periodic rate cases.

Back