Electra Glide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since we sold our '04 Heritage Classic 4 years ago, my wife has not really enjoyed going on rides together. I thought that the BMW GS was fine but after a little questioning it seems that the GS is just too tall for her and that I ride it too aggressively.

I had no idea that she felt this way.
21.gif

After some prodding, she admitted that she missed the Heritage and would like to ride on the back of a Harley with a trunk that sported a wrap-around back rest (tourpack).

Now I am not selling the GS since I really love that bike! Adding anther bike to the stable was the only option.
wink.gif
Thus began my weeks of perusing CL, ebay and cycletrader.

Her stipulations were that it had to be a Harley and it had to be red although she would allow for variations like burgundy and maroon. We looked at the new bikes but for our intended weekend pleasure riding, we just could not justify the cost.

I finally found a bike that we both liked at a reasonable price and bought a two owner 1998 Electra Glide Ultra Classic with 48,000 miles. We have already put over 200 miles on this last year evo and I think that it will work out just fine. Best of all, the little lady is happy.

Here are a few lousy pics from just after I unloaded it this past Saturday:
2015-03-29%2018.05.15-L.jpg

2015-03-29%2018.05.07-L.jpg

2015-03-29%2018.04.11-L.jpg

2015-03-29%2018.04.27-L.jpg

2015-03-29%2018.04.50-L.jpg

Nice score, should serve your purposes well. Harleys are like airplanes, put an experienced one next to a new one and given similar paint condition, only enthusiasts can tell the difference.

Beautiful! I wish we had year round summer... if we did I would have 4 bikes in the stable.

Very nice bike. Almost 20 year old but looks like new.

Are you going to change all fluids to start fresh for summer ride ?

I love to ride but at the same time I was scared to death at speed above 55-60 MPH. Riding in city streets at around 40-45 MPH or less is okay to me.

Looks well cared for. Women like those tourpaks behind them plus they ride good.
How many cassettes do you have?ha

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

My thinking right now is to do the full scheduled fluid changes at 50k with Castrol GTX20w-50 in the engine, Rotella 15w-40 in the primary and I'm not sure yet about the trans.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Looks well cared for. Women like those tourpaks behind them plus they ride good.
How many cassettes do you have?ha

Haha, you picked up on the fact that the bike features a cassette tape player.
cheers3.gif

The radio works fine so it will probably be upgraded eventually but it's not high on the list.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

My thinking right now is to do the full scheduled fluid changes at 50k with Castrol GTX20w-50 in the engine, Rotella 15w-40 in the primary and I'm not sure yet about the trans.

Sweet!!! Another Evo rider! Glad to see someone else isn't afraid to use a non-MC specific oil....double sweet! I'm using Mobil 1 75/90 in the tranny of my '89 Electa Glide. Seems to work well.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Nice score, should serve your purposes well. Harleys are like airplanes, put an experienced one next to a new one and given similar paint condition, only enthusiasts can tell the difference.

The only differences I could find on Cessna 172s was the lack of carb heat- on a 50 year difference.

The seat looks old school, but the rest of the bike looks new in the pics!

The only obvious visual change was in 1963 or 1964 they dropped the straight tail fin for the current swept type. In the mid 70's they made some changes to the wing but more difficult to discern casually.

Nice! Consider getting a back rest for your first mod. They're worth every penny and your back will thank you. I use Redline Shockproof heavy in my 95 EG's transmission, and it shifts like butta.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Originally Posted By: bigdreama

Sweet!!! Another Evo rider! Glad to see someone else isn't afraid to use a non-MC specific oil....double sweet! I'm using Mobil 1 75/90 in the tranny of my '89 Electa Glide. Seems to work well.

Thanks fellow Florida evo rider.
cheers3.gif

Although I am not much of a synthetic fan, I am experiencing some notchy shifting and an occasional elusive neutral and I have heard good things about Redline's Shock proof gear oil so I may go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Finn
That is one great looking Ultra!

Thanks, Finn.

Incidentally, we were in your neighborhood a couple of years ago and here is a pic of me and the little lady on a fjord boat tour out of Bergen, Norway.

047-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back