EFL-910 vs. FL-910 on a '06 Mazda Tribute 2.3l?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed out my oil and filter on a 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3l, 1100 miles.

The stock filter was a FoMoCo EFL-910...I installed a Motorcraft FL-910 as the app-guide said it was the correct fit.

Used Castrol GTX 5W-20. Engine seems to run quieter after the change (less knock and the valvetrain seems to run quieter). My build date was 12/05 so I figured the oil should be changed out due to time (almost 1 year old) as well as from the break-in.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between these two filters? They seemed to be about the same size, the EFL-910 seemed to be a bit bigger but not by much.

The Wix/NAPA guide suggests the 51215 as a suitable replacement for either.

I like the low $3 price of the FL-910 at Walmart, but would consider a larger/better filter (Maybe the FL-400s or the WIx 51516?) or sticking with the OEM EFL-910 if there was a good reason to do so.

I plan to eventually use a 5k OCI, on non-synth if the numbers support it (FWIW this the severe-duty interval in the manual) so was thinking the larger filter capacity would help in this regard (I used to drive Passat 1.8Ts). I think there is plenty of clearance, but will measure again tonight.

Any ideas?

Good to know, Does the Ranger have a vertical filter? My Tribute does. I think there are some variations between the 2.3 Ranger motor and the 2.3 in the Tribute (Transverse vs. Longitudinal layout, maybe more stuff?).

Are your factory OCI's 5k/7.5k miles?

The EFL-910 is the OEM filter. For quite a while we were getting them in the Motorcraft box at the dealership until the regular Motorcraft filters ramped up in production. FL-910 is correct.

No Worries. Can get them at Wally's for $3.28 a filter.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back