eero with existing Access Points

mez

Hi Guys

I have existing Netgear R6900 router with two wired Ubiquiti Pro access point. I am getting poor WiFi in certain rooms. Newly built home with close cell insulation. I am thinking in trying eero mesh 6+ system to improve the WiFi coverage. I will disconnect the Netgear router and use eero with 2 extenders but can I still use the Ubiquiti Pro access point with the eero? The other option is still use the Netgear router and set the eero's in bridge mode. What do y'all think?

why cant you just add more unifi AP?
Need more details.. but 1 system is better than 2 usually.
although unifi gear works best when you have the whole system.. router etc.

basic details of home? example: 4000sq ft 2 story
where are APs? where is bad reception?

3000sqft 2 level plus a garage.
Only hardwired two locations
!st one is in hall first floor
2nd is in a room above the garage

For example. The AP on first floor provides like 200mbs underneath it but you take a 90 degree turn like 5 ft away down the hall and WiFi is almost 0.

Last edited:
Only hardwired two locations
unifi ap's can do wireless mesh as long as you have at least 1 hardwired location.

Although you didnt mention which pro ap.. there are several.. if its a 10 year old one might not.
The wifi gen 5 and 6 both support it (for certain) others I'd have to look up.

Surprising currently The 6 LR is in stock

I run a unifi setup at home a UDM-pro and 2 ap's 6-lite and 6-lr.

Last edited:
AP are:

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi UAP-AC-PRO, 3dBi, 22dBm, 450Mbps, 3x3 @ 2. 4GHz & 3dBi, 22dBm, 1300Mbps, 3x3 @ 5GHz, 2xGigabit, 122m​

and router/AP less than 1 year old.

Yes, those will mesh with the 6 series.

Only two Ethernet outlets in a large newly built house, what were they thinking?

Yes, those will mesh with the 6 series.

Only two Ethernet outlets in a large newly built house, what were they thinking?
I get it but the AP spec's said like 600ft range. I am lucky within 10ft i get WiFi

Have you tried manually adjusting the settings on the ubiquiti AP's, some people say it may work better than auto settings

I did to the best of my knowledge.
yes those can mesh network. what type of house and what are their current locations

I would probably explore adding 2 more ap's

take one of your current ones and mesh it with the other (so same equipment meshed)
move it and see if it helps with dead spots.

then repeat at the other hardwired location
use an app such as wifiman to test for signal and dead spots.

if this helps

add 2 unifi 6 LR's one in the previous hardwired spot and one meshing off it.

for a total of 4.

you are using both 5ghz and 2.4?

Typically 5 is much faster(great for streaming to tv etc) but for web browsing and such 2.4 is plenty fast and better wall penetration.

Are they mounted on the wall or ceiling? Ubiquiti strongly recommends ceiling mount if they're not already. It sounds like you have them mounted on the wall which is how we currently have 5 of the UAC-AC-Pros setup in the office. Go around the corner and boom, no signal. The ceiling was a much better spot but we weren't able to because we weren't about to pay $2000 for an electrician to install them, just to move offices in a few years. (any and all wiring jobs in downtown chicago requires a union electrician.)

Last edited:
Are they mounted on the wall or ceiling? Ubiquiti strongly recommends ceiling mount if they're not already. It sounds like you have them mounted on the wall which is how we currently have 5 of the UAC-AC-Pros setup in the office. Go around the corner and boom, no signal. The ceiling was a much better spot but we weren't able to because we weren't about to pay $2000 for an electrician to install them, just to move offices in a few years. (any and all wiring jobs in downtown chicago requires a union electrician.)
The one in the house in hardwire to Netgear router mounted in the 1st floor hall ceiling. That's the one where you take 90 degree turn 5ft from it and no WiFi. Ubiquiti customer service is the worst i ever dealt with. I asked them for standard setup on all parameters and got no reply.

I have the eero Pro 6+ with one Pro 6+ range extender and my iPhone will not connect 10’ in front of the main unit where I sit but I have no issues farther away, one foot to the left or one foot to the right. I’ve contacted support but no resolution. Online reviews confirm connection speeds up close are weirdly slower than farther away.

Back