Education Degrees from Third World countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may know and some not. I am leaving Cambodia next week because it's lawless and very dangerous. I met this woman that stated that she obtained a [censored] and MS from Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia for next to nothing. In he us We'd owe uncle Sam tons. Are these degrees worthwhile for use in the western world. America, UK, France, Germany?
Puthisastras Univesity
There are also a bunch of other universities that I walk past frequently

These prices are absolutely insane Uiversity of Cambodia $4k for a Bachelors.... Now that's a deal.

Last edited:
It depends on the Institution and the course of study.

In some cases a degree is recognized without condition, in other cases there is need for additional classes at an accredited College back in the country you intend to settle in (the USA in your case), and in other cases the entire course of study is not recognized and the degree is, in essence, worthless.

You need to perform much more due diligence specific to the case; a query on BITOG will only get you so far, and that is not far at all.

Anecdotal evidence: many people I know who have degrees granted in Cambodia and Vietnam are working as janitors here in Canada.

If you intend to moves outside your 3rd world country, you need a degree in "something". Fake degrees from China do not count.

What I see most often in the US is a bachelors degree from overseas followed with a Masters in the US. I would ask a university is the bachelors would allow you in their masters program. That would be a good test.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It depends on the Institution and the course of study.

In some cases a degree is recognized without condition, in other cases there is need for additional classes at an accredited College back in the country you intend to settle in (the USA in your case), and in other cases the entire course of study is not recognized and the degree is, in essence, worthless.

You need to perform much more due diligence specific to the case; a query on BITOG will only get you so far, and that is not far at all.

Anecdotal evidence: many people I know who have degrees granted in Cambodia and Vietnam are working as janitors here in Canada.
Their idiots then if the degrees suck the go work Retail as a manager. I was formerly a manager for J.Crew...Their clothing is addictive and trendy. The discount is 30 on opposite sex unless you say. "I'm into drag" then it's 50% all sale is 50% off. Gap also offers lucrative sales at its Gap brand, along with sister stores. Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta. Retail does suck you are on your feet for long periods, but the discounts are lucrative.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Their idiots then if the degrees suck the go work Retail as a manager.

He who writes like this should never cast stones.

The best thing of attending school in usa for bachelors is opportunity of doing an internship. If you don't do one free or paid I honestly think you are wasting your degree.

I walked out of college in recession with offers at:
Bank(paid intern)
Civil engineering firm(barely paid intern/degree in)
Computer networking company (intern)

Because I took paid and mostly unpaid internships at each one.

Taking a job in retail during college years is your last move.

Last edited:
There are a lot of benefits of doing an undergrad from anywhere but 1st world, as long as it's a reputed/accredited school in that country, along with the degree which is in demand. It's cheap, a lot quicker(because majority study full time and no semester breaks, etc..)

You would see, a lot of 'international' doctors, engineers, bankers, IT etc....folks working everywhere across the globe, with degrees from back home or masters/phd's from 1st world.

Yes, it does cost almost peanuts, but it's very difficult and competitive to get into an accredited/good/reputed school for all of the majors mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
What I see most often in the US is a bachelors degree from overseas followed with a Masters in the US. I would ask a university is the bachelors would allow you in their masters program. That would be a good test.

Yes, that, and what credits could be transferred over if you were seeking "another" undergraduate degree from a respectable U.S. university.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

^This is fairly accurate. As far as in the UK/USA/Canada/EU and Aus/NZ, majority of schools have a Database of all foreign universities/schools for which they do not need any evaluation and they simply accept their degrees after a GRE/IELTS/TOEFL exam etc...

Procedure isn't simple, but it's very doable and hence you see so many international students in all of these regions. There are specific forums/websites dedicated to questions/guidance for admissions in Engineering, Medical, Business and IT areas for all above regions.

What are you doing in Cambodia?

Are you considering getting degree there?

(If you dont mind my asking.)

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Their idiots then if the degrees suck the go work Retail as a manager.

He who writes like this should never cast stones.

full-19468-673-deck.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
........When it starts making the noise, just live the top of the tank off and see what's vibrating and making the humming noise.

If you can be the top one or two in the class in a useful field, like engineering, you might get some looks.

If you are going into a field where any degree suffices, maybe its OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back