Educate me on riding mowers, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get a Husqvarna(Craftsman) rider or its clone. 18-24 HP with a 42 inch cut. 1300-1500 dollars and you will easily get 20 years out of it with proper care. For an acre, you don't need anything more.

Last edited:
If it must be something new and budget priced, like I suggest in all the threads on this, get a machine built by the Husqvarna group and not MTD. Most Sears riding mowers are Husqvarna group, but you have to know the model # or what to look for.

I find them a bit better built, designed and easier to maintain and work on over MTD.

EDIT. Lubener beat me to it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
I would get a Husqvarna(Craftsman) rider or its clone. 18-24 HP with a 42 inch cut. 1300-1500 dollars and you will easily get 20 years out of it with proper care. For an acre, you don't need anything more.

I am probably going to get a new mower either this year or next year myself. I am curious why these would be better than the E110?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I am probably going to get a new mower either this year or next year myself. I am curious why these would be better than the E110?

I have a 7 year old Craftsman 42” with a 19 HP B&S (aluminum with cast iron sleeve) … it is a tight turn model
(cast iron axle with grease fittings) … the hydrostatic is very smooth …
I really don’t know who makes the JohnnDeere motors … but the Briggs has been stellar …
Mower has been great … no rust above or under … it gets clearance oil and oil filters in the Spring …
Finally put a belt on it last week … old one was fine but took the deck off to inspect and sharpen blades …

Current Sears model 20381

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a decent independent Husqvarna dealer less than 2 miles from here. Also a JD dealer and a Sears Hometown store.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Look for something with a V-Twin engine as opposed to the single cylinder models. In the entry level 100 series John Deere that starts with the E120 and up.

My in-laws have the prior generation D110 and I have the D130. The difference are an extra six inches of cutting deck, single vs. V-twin, and 3 HP. I get the lawn cut in half the time, in spite of having the more challenging terrain. The E120 will set you back another $200, but it will be worth it.

If you buy a John Deere, buy from a dealer and not a big box store. The dealer will take care of you. I had a fire on top of the deck one fall while under warranty due to chopped leaves contacting the muffler. The fire burned through the wring harness. I called the dealer and tried to buy a wiring harness, but they sent someone out to pick up the tractor, replaced the wiring harness and returned it to me within 24 hours at no charge. Somehow I don't think you could expect the same from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Quote:
I really don’t know who makes the JohnnDeere motors

Briggs makes the JD engines for the big box mowers.
The S240 and X350 and up are Kawasaki engines.
The X330 is a Briggs.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: JTK
If it must be something new and budget priced, like I suggest in all the threads on this, get a machine built by the Husqvarna group and not MTD. Most Sears riding mowers are Husqvarna group, but you have to know the model # or what to look for.

I find them a bit better built, designed and easier to maintain and work on over MTD.

THIS!!!!!!

I work on mowers on the side and MTD is the sorriest!!!!

Originally Posted By: JTK

I cheated!
I believe the Husqvarna made Craftsmans have a model number begining with 917. Anything else is likely MTD.The Craftsmans have a two year warranty, I am not sure if the Husqvarna's have two year warranties but that would be the deciding factor for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Have a lawn mowing contest with the local youth. Winner who mows most grass gets 15.00!

This is like when they had a plowing contest on Green Acres.

Arnold won that one.

Two suggestions.
First choice: Talk to your family, (they must be great), and see if maybe you could get the rider you really want for the long run, and may later, pay some of the cost back. It would be better to use the "gift" to get what you want/need, rather than to buy something you might have to replace sooner than you'd like.

Second choice: Look at a Husqvarna commercial garden tractor, they're around $3500 give or take and I used one for a couple of years and was totally impressed with it's value. Given proper care, they work great. A fabbed deck, and a B&S engine. I had a 27HP hydro and it was a beast. I would stay far, FAR away from the cheaper box store Husqvarnas, and never would I buy any mower with a new Kohler engine, never. I've seen the Courages in action, and they are pathetic.

Thanks for the advice, I've read all your suggestions carefully and you mention a couple things I hadn't considered. Spent a chunk of the day yesterday with my wife, looking at a variety of choices, from soup to nuts. Have not made a decision yet. I can see how this turns into "bracket creep" pretty darn fast in this segment of OPE!!!

We saw (all were being sold by full-service local shops, had 42" decks and powered by Kohler 7000 series V-twin motors, unless otherwise noted):
1. Cub Cadet XT2 riding mower at a shop with a good reputation. This was 2nd their cheapest option, after the XT1 models that you can also buy in big-box stores.
2. John Deere S240 riding mower, powered by a Kawasaki V-twin. We liked the seat and am a Kawasaki fan, but wasn't impressed with the sales experience and a stamped deck on a $2,500 machine.
3. Husqvarna YT 420DXL riding mower at a shop we know and like, less than 2 miles from home. Seemed fine, but wife didn't like the ergonomics or the seat (we made the mistake of sitting in some nicer seats and noticed a difference immediately).
4. Husqvarna Z242F zero turn at the same dealer, powered by Kohler Confidant V-Twin. This was the least expensive (that's an oxymoron!) of the zero-turns with a fabricated deck.
5. Exmark Quest E-Series zero turn at the same dealer as #1, powered by their own engine. We pretty much wrote this one off because it was $3,000, plus we would still want to add extra-cost options (it's a seemingly solid, but very basic machine). Might not have a mulching kit for the 42" deck size.
6. Gravely ZT-X zero turn at the OPE dealer we prefer. It's nice (they let us try one to see how a zero-turn handles), but $200 more than the Husqvarna and a little less than the Exmark.

I could make a case for or against any of these, honestly. Am not interested in shopping at Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply, or Sears, because I like being able to bring the machine back to the same shop for service/repairs. Let me know if you have any personal experience with these units...

terminaldegree
If you have a Toro dealer near by, stop in and look around. Toro owns Exmark and they have many of the same features and you can probably get a better deal. I recently bought a Toro MX5000 zero turn. It’s a 50” model with a fabricated deck and the same engine as the Exmark you looked at. It does a heck of a job. Your local Toro dealer might have just what you need. I’m not a big fan of Kohler engines. Husqvarna does offer Kawasaki and Briggs & Stratton on some of their models. The Gravely is a really good machine.

We ended up buying the 42” Gravely ZT X and added a mulching kit. Should get delivered on Tuesday. Sold a few things around the garage/yard to help pay for it. Will update if anything tremendously good or bad happens with this residential zero-turn.

Anything you’d suggest checking over after delivery, or to watch out for in the first few hours of use?

I have the ariens flavor of that mower, and have been very pleased. the only difference IIRC is the engine and the paint color. it's been dead-nuts reliable. the only quirk I've noticed is if you mow with the deck extended low and bang the deck a couple of times it can get jammed low and takes effort to get it freed and lifted. As long as you don't abuse it, it doesn't happen.

The transmissions don't have drains, but a little over a quart of oil can be vacuumed out and replaced. I did mine after ~100 hours and it runs a little quieter after. Great mower, very pleased. it's either 5 or 6 years old now, even with the oem battery hanging in there.

-m

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
We ended up buying the 42” Gravely ZT X and added a mulching kit. Should get delivered on Tuesday. Sold a few things around the garage/yard to help pay for it. Will update if anything tremendously good or bad happens with this residential zero-turn.

Anything you’d suggest checking over after delivery, or to watch out for in the first few hours of use?

How do you like your Gravely ZTR? Just curious how it's doing on the slopes.

I didn't realize Ariens still manufactured (some of) their own mowers and make ZTRs, etc for Gravely.

Hi meep and JTK,

Indeed, it's basically identical to the Ariens Ikon X 42, with a slightly higher horsepower rating (24) for the same Kohler 725cc engine model. According to what I've read and my Gravely dealer, Ariens owns Gravely, and they appear to have consolidated manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin. Looking over everything prior to use, I noticed a loose adjustment nut on the steering lever, checked the tire pressures, repositioned a hose clamp on the fuel filter housing, and trickle charged the battery.

We've mowed with it once so far, and it was a nice experience (let's be honest, anything would seem like a nice experience after mowing an acre with a 22" self-propelled in the Georgia heat, we're already in the 90s every day). Fast, not too difficult to drive, and easy to use. It's capable of going faster than I'd probably ever want to mow my yard. I really like having the foot-pedal mounted deck lift, which saved me from doing dumb stuff a couple of times. The mulch kit works great-- can hardly see any discharge at all, and I got an extra set of blades for next year out of it. On the slopes, it did fine, there was maybe one spot where I spun the rear tires and made a little divot, before deciding to leave that piece of grass to my trimmer. I can really get the machine into surprisingly tight quarters because of the adjustable speed and (obviously) the turning radius.

My next door neighbor owns a commercial 48" Dixie Chopper zero turn, and suggested setting the speed with one steering arm, and then using the other one to make directional corrections. That seemed to help make handling a little less "jerky". He also warned us about spinning the tires or going from forward to reverse too aggressively, as that will tear up the grass. I did manage to do that a couple of times...and am still working on trying to go perfectly straight while mowing. So, there's a little bit of a learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back