Ecotec 2.4 and clogged air injection

Had to admit defeat and took the wife's Equinox to an indy shop for the secondary air injection code that won't go away. There's a service bulletin because the air injection ports get clogged up with carbon and need to be cleaned out, which is especially difficult because the cat converter, exhaust manifold, and air injection manifold have to come off. Service bulletin notes there is no permanent fix :mad: The shop concurs that the ports are clogged, 3 hours labor. Any ideas on how this could be minimized?

Minimized? Depends on cause and if vehicles maintenance level can reduce that 'cause'.

Lets start with the simple:
What fuel has been typically used?
What oil has been used, filter, and interval history?
Any Techron, or equivalent FI cleaners ever used?

Year/mileage now?

Minimized? Depends on cause and if vehicles maintenance level can reduce that 'cause'.

Lets start with the simple:
What fuel has been typically used?
What oil has been used, filter, and interval history?
Any Techron, or equivalent FI cleaners ever used?

Year/mileage now?
2013, 87,000 miles. Regular 87 octane, no cleaners. Oil is usually Valvoline Full Synthetic or Pennzoil Synthetic, STP filter usually 4000-5000 miles by the OLM. Did give it a BG EPR 109 treatment to bring down its oil consumption of 1 quart every 1000-2000 miles, but it seems to be burning oil again. Dealer won't budge on fixing the piston rings, thinks they aren't the problem even though we have the letter that says it's known for faulty rings that cause excessive oil consumption, and the build date is before the new rings were used.

4000-5000 miles and OLM =0% ??? If that is the case, then you should start changing oil and filter every 3000 miles.

Start with toptier 87 and a PEA/PIB based FI cleaner prior to every OCI.

I'd use any 0w40 oil. Check oil level frequently and keep it full. I'd even consider a 5w40 if the engine tolerates it.

HPL engine cleaner. Forum sponsor on here. You pour it in and leave there for a few thousand miles if I recall correctly.

HPL engine cleaner. Forum sponsor on here. You pour it in and leave there for a few thousand miles if I recall correctly.
Think of their Engine Cleaner as the appetizer. You need to follow-up by using their oils if you are trying to “clean;” their oils clean more than the Engine Cleaner.

Turn off the air injection DTC's with tuning software.....A permanent fix ;)
This. But does your area have emissions testing?

Fabulous, the shop called with an update. They started digging into it, and discovered the exhaust manifold was cracked too. Figures, we've experienced nearly every other "feature" of the Equinox except the blowing crank seals, and it's only got 87,000. Maybe I'd better buy one of those vented oil caps to make sure we don't blow the crank seals.

Picked it up today. Ouch. $1200 but it has a new exhaust manifold, the ports are clean, the check valves are new (I replaced those) and for now the CEL is off. Even the tech had to shake his head when I asked if he had any suggestions to minimize the soot. Pretty much said GM knows it does this, doesn't have a fix, so just plan on this being "routine maintenance". He said the tiny holes in the manifold gasket were pretty much clogged, and they had to dig out the ports in the head with dental picks and solvent.

Last edited:
Ha, I could see it being like the piston ring class action lawsuit. Good luck actually getting it fixed, even if you have the letter from GM. Piston rings? Is there a problem with the piston rings? Oh no, that doesn't apply to your car, even though you're within the build dates and you're burning oil. You have a totally different issue. These are not the droids you're looking for.

Back