Eclipse automatic transmission slipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse v6 with automaitc transmission and 95,000 miles...Like 4 months ago the transmission started to slip very badly from 2nd to 3rd. So i bought a remanufactured transmission.
I decided to have some fun with the old transmission right before replacing the trans....So i revved the engine to the redline and drop the shifter from N to D several times to spin the tires... Mysteriously after doing that...the old transmission started to shift perfectly fine. Now im not sure if it's a good idea to keep the old transmission or replace it anyways.

suggestions?

thanks

Well I'd leave it in there for now. At least until it starts acting up again. (it might not, at least for the amount of time you have the car. Heck, you could happen to get in a wreck tomorrow and total it out. Then you'd really be mad that you went through all the trouble to change it out.)
laugh.gif

Those transmissions were not that good to begin with. Neutral bombing a failing automatic transmission ... did nothing to help it.

Sounds like you shook something loose in the valve body.

Might be worth changing fluid, then again, might be worth not touching it at all.
lol.gif

LOL, I think this is the first I have heard of a neutral drop helping an old transmission.

My guess is you will still need the remanufactured one soon. Once a trans has worn clutches and bands, any "fix" is going to be temporary. Mitsubishi automatics do not have a good reputation and it seems a lot of them fail between 75-100K miles.

I would continue running the original as long as it lasts though. Give it [censored]!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
LOL, I think this is the first I have heard of a neutral drop helping an old transmission.

My guess is you will still need the remanufactured one soon. Once a trans has worn clutches and bands, any "fix" is going to be temporary. Mitsubishi automatics do not have a good reputation and it seems a lot of them fail between 75-100K miles.

I would continue running the original as long as it lasts though. Give it [censored]!

Years ago we had a '92 Lumina that Reverse went out on. You could still get it to move in Reverse as long as you were on a flat surface or so you rolled back down hill. So you had to be mindful how you parked.

We still kept it though for driving down to the lake on weekends and me and my Dad would have competitions to see who could get the best mileage. There were many hills along the trip and we'd often put it in Neutral and coast down the hills (sometimes I would even shut off the engine while coasting
shocked.gif
).

Dad got back one weekend and said when he shifted to Neutral from Drive, he went too far and the Transmission engaged Reverse while going 55 mph downhill.
grin.gif
I guess there was a decent lurch and the engine died, but who knows what else happened.

Engaged all gears as well as Reverse beautifully for a few thousand miles after that.
thumbsup2.gif

Toward the last of its life, it might have been starting not engage again, but wasn't the reason it was retired. We were driving down the highway when all of a sudden there was massive amounts of white smoke behind us. We happened to be driving past the guy who has a whole mess of vehicles in back for parts, so we stopped and sold it for $25 dollars.

I've never seen anyone do that before. Does it actually catch and spin the wheels,or is there a safety mechanism that prevents the tranny from catching if the engine is revved too high upon engagement?

Lol. When my old Accord's transmission began to slip I did that a couple times...it did not make the problem any worse. I was getting rid of it anyway so I figured why not have some fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back