Echo 2 stroke oil / stalling leaf blower

Hey Guys:

I have an older (~7 years maybe) Hitachi leaf blower.

A few years back, I bought a 16oz bottle of Echo branded 2 stroke oil. The idea was to save a bit on buying premix and I thought Echo was good quality.

Every summer I mix about a gallon with no ethanol gas. (The Echo bottle leaks, and is generally a mess - but that is another story). I'm now having stalling issues when hitting the throttle from an idle. And the only way to resolve is mix in half a tank of premix gas - which defeats the purpose of mixing my own.

I don't see adjustment screws, and the ethanol free gas is 90 octane. (Premix is 93 I believe, maybe 94).

Is my thinking wrong that if I can find a low speed adjustment screw, I need to open it slightly to enrichen the mixture?

Appreciate the help.

The fuel to oil ratio affects the fuel air ratio in the engine. A 20:1 fuel to oil ratio will burn leaner that a 50:! fuel to oil mix. Try mixing your fuel in the same ratio as the ready mix.

Looks like I posted the same issue 2 years ago. Oops.

I've had some Echo equip for many many years. The oldest I had, SRM2400 weed trimmer, was somewhere around 20 years old. I often put a little more oil in the fuel than required. Newest Echo I have is a backpack blower PB7555. I instinctively did the same thing and added a little too much oil than required. After a few tanks I had start-up issues and it wouldn't run smoothly.

Had to dump the old fuel and start a new. Issue resolved. Something to check out on yours.

I very highly doubt it's the Echo oil. I suspect poor quality gas.

I tend to use VP-C9 fuel, as the local ethanol free pump fuel is awful and does not last. Clearly my stuff runs better on C9.

You may be experiencing the same thing. Quality fuel makes a huge difference. I strongly suspect you actually have ethanol in your fuel, whether or not you used the E-free pump.

I'm thinking a bad batch of gas. Last summer my mower ran fine. I went up to the local Conoco and filled up my 1 gallon gas can like usual. I topped off the mower and by the end it started running real rough. I checked the plugs etc nothing. I had a local guy look at it he dumped the gas and refilled with new gas. He cleaned the carb and it worked. The gas was bad.

I had a Hitachi blower (until the wife ran straight gas in it last year). That thing ran well even on E10 87 gas, but a little extra oil in the mix caused erratic idle and hard starts. Therefore, I suspect the OP was a little heavy on the oil when he mixed the gas. A measuring cup will ensure the proper mix (OM says 25-50:1 but 40-50:1 was best in mine). YMMV

Thanks all.

I guess I assumed that bad gas went the way of the dodo. Is E0 just not used as much, so it sits in the station tank and gets old?

I have a new batch this year - but haven't run any yet.

Thanks all.

I guess I assumed that bad gas went the way of the dodo. Is E0 just not used as much, so it sits in the station tank and gets old?

I have a new batch this year - but haven't run any yet.
E0 lasts 3 months around here. After that, it tends to start smelling bad.

E0 lasts 3 months around here. After that, it tends to start smelling bad.
Interesting. When I first bought my house and did not realize how much gas I would be using to mow, I bought a 5 gal can and filled it with E0.

After 2 seasons, I'm pretty sure I was burning mostly Sta-bil and not acutal gas.

I kicked around buying E0 fuel (no lead) from the local airfield. I never understood why they even carried it - best I can figure someone was running a Rotax experimental, or the field owner sold to landscaping businesses. I think they stopped selling it.

Might want to check the spark arrestor screen in the muffler. After that many years they can get clogged with carbon and cause stalling issues.

You can burn the carbon out with a torch, or get a new arrestor. You'll be tempted to take the arrestor out and pitch it in the garbage. I've done that twice on echo machines. Both ended up puking unburned oil out the muffler and making a mess. Yours may or may not do this but be forewarned.

watch the youtube videos that show you have to adjust the carburetor.
No adjustment screws unfortunately. The replacement is $80!

I found one guy that had to modify a different model slightly. I bought one to keep on hand if I have further issues.

No adjustment screws unfortunately. The replacement is $80!

I found one guy that had to modify a different model slightly. I bought one to keep on hand if I have further issues.
Check out Donyboy73 and steve's small engine saloon. They both show how to adjust carbs that have hidden adjustment screws on 2 cycle equipment.

punching hatchi leaf blower carb into amazon came up with both carbs and rebuild kits. if it bogs while you are pulling the trigger usually the high speed needs to be adjusted. i tune my 2 cycle stuff almost every time i get mix a new tank of fuel .

I have the Hitachi RB24EAP leaf blower. No adjustments on the carb except for the idle speed. But I also use both Echo Red Armor and Amsoil Saber in it and it runs great, so I doubt it’s caused by using Echo oil. What ratio is your fuel mixed?

L8R,
Matt

Back