EBC "Red, and "Green" Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
For front brakes..

What's the difference between them? Anyone use em? I could swear I've used EBC pads on my motorcycle, but the Alz is setting in, ya know? Is EBC major-league?

The Reds are about 12.00 more, but they give no indication why. Here's the link: Pads

They also have a S-Hott looking set of rotors, too, and pretty cheap? These any good? Rotors

Thanks!
cheers.gif

I've used EBC pads. They're good. IMO, Green are OEM replacements. Red are an upgrade for the aggressive driver and a must for dimpled, drilled, or slotted rotors.
If available, Hawk and PerformanceFriction also make excellent pads.

I've used slotted, drilled, and dimpled rotors, and hate them. For the daily driver, I recommend solid rotors.

I have EBC Greenstuff on My 2001 olds Alero & the braking is excellent. Like night & day from the ceramic pads i had on prior to installing the EBC green.I bought My set of EBC's on E-Bay for $25.00!!

I bet they chew the pads up for starters, at least soft pads..

They look pretty cool, though. All I know is, the factory pads are always really good, and the replacements are always faders. Jeez, you guys are talking $24.00 rotors, these are $121.00 a pair. I thought that was cheap!

Demonstrating, once again, what *I* know!
crushedcar.gif

Some people say they do, other say they don't. I heard the slots eat pads worse than the drilled ones. $121 a pair is a good price for a good quality rotor. I'm going to EBC Red's on my GP next.

Those drilled/slotted rotors are noisey, they eat pads, they require more pedal pressure, they reduce the available surface area, they reduce the mass of the rotor.......they are best left for the fad gee-whiz look cool crowd.

Dunno about chewed up, but harder compounds with lots of sintering will wear them down. I've never replaced rotors, or ever turned one. But then, I've never let the pads wear to the bitter end either, and never had warpage issues..

The custom, crooked in my opinion, of turning the rotors every time they install pads is a waste, assuming the pads didn't wear down to their bones...
crushedcar.gif

The Greenstuff are what is termed "fast street pads", its basically a pad suited for street driven cars driven in a spirited manner. They work great even from cold, and keeps working good even when hot. They do dust a fair bit. Most suitable if you are after a pad which performs better than an OEM replacement.

The Redstuff would be the start of "track" compounds. They still do well if you drive hard regularly on the streets, but be aware they won't bite as well when cold, or cool. Therefore, if you do a lot of regular commuting, the pads may not be up to temperature and won't give you the bite you are expecting.

My dad and I, both motorcyclists, have used EBC pads on most of our bikes. However, when we bought EBC green pads for hi Jeep Grand Cherokee w/new Brembo rotors he consistantly has squeal/screech when they were cold. 400 miles later...no change. We tried all the tricks in the book, and finally determined it was the compound. Why? Cause we swaped the pads with some generic Raybestos semi-metalic's pads and they were fine.

The EBC greens absolutly had more bite, they just were not worth the noise.

Quote:

The Greenstuff are what is termed "fast street pads", its basically a pad suited for street driven cars driven in a spirited manner. They work great even from cold, and keeps working good even when hot. They do dust a fair bit. Most suitable if you are after a pad which performs better than an OEM replacement.

I have the Green pads on my 1996 Camaro and they are a very good pad. You aren't kidding though...they do dust quite a bit. I think they are the "dirtiest" pads I've ever owned.

The Redstuff would be the start of "track" compounds. They still do well if you drive hard regularly on the streets, but be aware they won't bite as well when cold, or cool. Therefore, if you do a lot of regular commuting, the pads may not be up to temperature and won't give you the bite you are expecting.

I have the Green pads on my 1996 Camaro and they are a very good pad. You aren't kidding though...they do dust quite a bit. I think they are the "dirtiest" pads I've ever owned.

EDIT: I suck at the internet =/

I would not use the "Red" on the street. They need to be hot to have enough friction. Have them on my BMW and there was many times I couldn't even activate ABS. They likely will INCREASE your stopping distances on a daily driver. Not a safe choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back