Ebay purchase and US Customs -- what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a big "Man from U.N.C.L.E." fan, I've always wanted a replica of the ID card used on the show. A fan and long-time Ebay seller in Britain with 100% positive feedback is offering replicas, and for $23.00 USD (the card plus registered mail shipping), I figured this was worth trying.

He sent the package, and I have a tracking number. It arrived at the ISC (the International Center) of the USPS on June 20, and when I called USPS to find out more, they told me:

1) Customs has it (my gosh, what did he put as the description? "Official ID Cards"?);
2) They won't be able to tell me anything more until they send me a detention notice, which could take 30-45 days; and
3) They can keep the item as long as they want. Essentially, it will take between 6 weeks and infinity for me to receive my purchase!

This is bloody annoying, to use the seller's phrase. My question is, am I justified in asking for my money back until and unless I receive my shipment? True, he fulfilled his part of the bargain, I suppose. On the other hand, if he's used to shipping things internationally, you'd think he'd be wise about how to get things through Customs!

My view on it is that I've spent $23.00, and have nothing. What should I do?

(Never again will I order anything from outside the U.S.!)

Your statement in ( ) is the answer to your question.

My personal eBay policy is USA only. Zero exceptions (unless I really want something, don't ya know?)
wink.gif

Odd...I've ordered lots of things direct from Hong Kong, no customs delays ever. I think for you it's just a matter of waiting for an understaffed govt. organization to look at your card and make sure it's ok. Kinda like the DMV. There's probably 4,000 people in front of you in line.

Some one suggested that I could fax printouts of the eBay transaction and my emails to and from the seller to the NY Customs office. Might that speed things up a bit?

Your supplier did not breach your contract with him. As soon as he placed the materials in the mail his job was done. Any problems you have with customs is on your end not his an dyou have to deal with it. You have no recourse to ask for your money back. Your product is being held by customs wich is always a chance you take when you import anything in to the country. Be prepared to wait a while and be prepared to make a lot of calls send a lot of fax's and wait some more. I am sure you will get your ID cards people get illicit drugs imported forcrying out loud so it is just a matter of time. It is not like they sent you a siesure notice or anything wichmeans you will never be seeing your stuff again because it is contraband.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Some one suggested that I could fax printouts of the eBay transaction and my emails to and from the seller to the NY Customs office. Might that speed things up a bit?

No, it won't do squat. Years ago, my Audi dealer ordered spare parts (pre-cleared by the shipper!) from Germany and the parts got stuck in US customs for a month. I receive about 2 packages from overseas per week. Occasionally, maybe once every other year, a shipment gets hung up in customs. Usually the package isn't even being opened (Customs will put a note on the package if they have opened it). Your stuff most likely just sits there for a number of days until it gets cleared.

You bought a movie prop replica. If this is not a licensed, official prop replica, chances are that customs, in a crackdown on copyright and trademark violations, will confiscate the item. As I said, it is unlikely that your package will even be opened.

The vendor is neither responsible for US customs' actions, nor does the vendor have any influence on US customs.

Quote:
On the other hand, if he's used to shipping things internationally, you'd think he'd be wise about how to get things through Customs!

I wouldn't think that. It's out of the hands of the vendor/shipper what happens to a shipment.

PS: More of my domestic mail gets diverted, lost and found or just lost than any of the international mail that I ship or receive. There are a few countries with which I will not do business through the USPS, but only via other carriers.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Plus, we have to keep the country safe from the terrorists.

The randomly detained mail is subjected to fruit and vegetable and drug and explosive sniffing dogs.

Every international parcel that comes to me gets opened by Oz customs (maybe I'm on the "list")...if it turns up at all.

I've bought stuff off Amazon.com out of England, France, Germany, Japan and have always had it in 7 to 10 business days from the shipped date.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Maybe the seller has had problems like this in the past, and can tell you how to speed up the customs process. You could ask nicely.

Canada is the worst country (to that I ship) when it comes to delays at customs. I ship regularly via Air Mail to Canada and it takes almost always over two weeks. To Europe and Scandinavia takes usually 4 to 6 days. Europe to US takes sometimes 4 days, sometimes three weeks. By checking label numbers I can tell that the delay is always caused by US customs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Every international parcel that comes to me gets opened by Oz customs (maybe I'm on the "list")...if it turns up at all.

I ship about ten times a year to Oz. Nobody ever told me the package was opened by customs, and nobody ever had to pay an import tax or fee.

mori,
never had to pay any taxes etc. Most of my packages have been opened by customs. My partner's only a couple of times. They'll remove things like seeds, things made from wood etc. as a quanrantine matter.

Funniest one was a friend recieved (well didn't), a can of spray cheese from an internet buddy.

It got quarantined, and she was given two options. Pay $45 to have the cheese irradiated and forwarded to her. Pay $25 to have it incinerated....she chose option three "If you do not reply withing 14 days, the item will be destroyed"

I just sent a package weighing 25lb and 3.2 oz to Australia. In it were contained six bottles of Fat Tire. And four bottles of this beer...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/33770

...was really afraid it would look like anti-aircraft rounds and be opened by U.S. customs or OZ agents. The package took twelve days to go from U.S. to OZ. Cost $119.25. Not ever gonna do that again as spent two many nights worrying that black suits were gonna show up at more door! Not too mention worrying that one of the glass Fat Tire bottles would bust and leak, thereby letting the "cat out of the bag"!

I wrote "FOUR COLLECTIBLE BOTTLES; SIX GLASS SNIFTERS" on the customs form.

Packaged arrived yesterday morning and my bud from Down Under was very happy with the "stash"!

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
If you live close to a farming region, they are extra careful.

Canadian customs are terrified of bees. Says right in their customs rules that bees, dead, alive, or in stasis, must not be imported under any circumstances. I envision an army of Dudley Do-Rights shooting down border crossing honey bees.

"Sir, are you smuggling any bees in your beard, eh?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back