Ebay oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was searching the net and ebay and saw that there are some old AMSOIL ASF and SDF filters on there for sale. What is a shelf life on them or any oil filter for that matter? I would think the ASL would no longer be useable. The SDF ones might be questionable as well.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Just was searching the net and ebay and saw that there are some old AMSOIL ASF and SDF filters on there for sale. What is a shelf life on them or any oil filter for that matter? I would think the ASL would no longer be useable. The SDF ones might be questionable as well.

Oil filters don't have a shelf life. I've used old ones without a problem. I always buy in bulk
Some filters sit in my garage (not heated or insulated) for 10 years or more
It's a filter. The media can't go bad from sitting around, unless you store it in a damp or moldy place.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

Oil filters don't have a shelf life. I've used old ones without a problem. I always buy in bulk
It's a filter. The media can't go bad from sitting around, unless you store it in a damp or moldy place.

I believe that about the media, but my concern would be the ADBV and the o-ring hardening over time.

What's the savings vs. the risk?

I would just buy some new ones and forget about it.

If someone gave you some old filters, you could roll the dice and try one.

There's probably no risk. Any damage to the inside element would almost certainly show some kind of external evidence.

As for knowing there is a problem after you install it, good luck. Unless there is a catastrophic failure of the media you might never know.

At a shop that my neighbor owns they serviced a 7 year old Toyota 4Runner with a V8 engine. The 4Runner owner had previously done his own oil changes but did not know there was an oil filter that should also be changed. It had the original oil filter with 70K miles on the clock. They did several frequent oil and filter changes along with Auto-Rx and there are no signs of damage either in the running or an internal examination with a fiber optic scope. The 4Runner passed Cal smog and they're watching for any problems. It's been a year and everything looks okay. The oil used by the owner and the oil in the engine now is Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30 and was changed every 5K miles. The 4Runner was a commuter vehicle and sometimes tow vehicle for a ski boat with no bad weather, cold or snow.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

Most Manufacturers say 5 year shelf Life on filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

At a shop that my neighbor owns they serviced a 7 year old Toyota 4Runner with a V8 engine. The 4Runner owner had previously done his own oil changes but did not know there was an oil filter that should also be changed. It had the original oil filter with 70K miles on the clock.

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The 4Runner owner had previously done his own oil changes but did not know there was an oil filter that should also be changed.
How can anyone be smart enough to change his own oil, but so stupid as to NOT KNOW there is a filter??

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
How can anyone be smart enough to change his own oil, but so stupid as to NOT KNOW there is a filter??

Maybe I missed something, but I'd sooner think that since Jiffy Lube never asked about changing his oil filter, he figured that it had never been changed.

Edit: Oh yeah... it did say that he did his own oil changes.

Maybe he thought that 'doing your own' meant taking it to an independent shop rather than to a dealership?

Last edited:
Here's what a technical services guy at Baldwin filters told me when I asked what the shelf life was for their filters. One, the company does not set a shelf life. Two, Baldwin only accepts returns from its wholesale customers if the filter is less than 5 years old. Three, if not exposed to water, their filters should be usable for up to 15 years.

That's Baldwin. I wouldn't expect a Chinese made filter to be good after 10-15 years.

Are any of those older Amsoil filters synthetic based? A synthetic based filter doesn't suffer the age issues of a cellulose based filter, but the gaskets are still an issue, as i have had some shiny blue PureOnes that i used up until 2012 where the gaskets were severely dry rotting and cracking from being stored in a garage. I had to get Purolator to send me new gaskets for all 4 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back