eBay Fram Ultra Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would notify the Seller of 'dented' Filters.
Then go from there.

The Filters that you are going to keep - What is the Date Code ? ? ?
If they look good inside and out, I would use them.

I bought some Fram Ultras on E-Bay and the boxes were beat-up / Filters looked OK
The Date Codes showed they were 3-4 years old.
No rust inside, so I will use them.
I store them in my basement in a plastic-bag with desicant.

Everybody likes to find a deal.
But, let the Buyer beware.

These fram ultras are good for 20K miles. even if you use them for 10K miles you would change them 10 times in 100K miles. with the average person putting 15K miles/year that 6.6 years of oil changes.

Saving $5/filter 10 times is $50 over 6.6 years = $7.57/year. You cant get a good Hamburger for that price. If you change it more frequent that than I would challenge the need for a fram ultra.

Last edited:
Like another poster mentioned, purchase from seller tc14jr. I have purchased 2 sets from that seller in the past and they all arrive in new condition. Another pro tip- you can get a pack of 6 of the Fram Pro Synthetics (Fram Ultra clone) from that seller for $24. There's your $4 filters.

I was considering buying from this seller, but noticed it's an older packaging with 15000 miles on it, while the new one is 20000.
I sent them a message about it and here's their reply.

These aren't the newer packaged ones.
FYI... they're the same design as the new ones. Fram just upped their claim of mileage from 15 to 20. A few years ago... they upped it from 10 to 15.
To my knowledge... no change was made internally.
Just my opinion... but why anyone would go over 8-10K on a filter is beyond me. Anything over 10 is just crazy!
But anyways... these are probably 3 years old... and there's no shelf life on filters regardless of what anyone says.

They basically just sell old filters

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i have always wondered about slightly dented filters. will they iron out any creases or dents when oil pressure is applied?

It depends on how severe the dent and how thick the can is. If it's dented enough to create a sharp crease and/or the can is thin, it can fatigue crack and leak. The general advice is not to use it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The seller buys filters from stores that went belly up, or buys old closeout inventory and sells it cheap. I have bought 6 packs of Fram Ultra filters on Ebay cheap, knowing the boxes were going to show signs of age or had been opened. I was OK with that since buying the filter not the box. Last batch I bought I had two dented filters, I sent the seller pictures and a few days later I had two perfect dent free replacements, and was told to keep the two dented filters. That was good CS in my book. I will continue to buy them when needed and save $$.

+1. If they let you keep the Dented filters cut one open for us to see.

If we had dented beer cans would we return them or just drink them?

Seriously? You want to buy filters for half price buy expect to come with seal stickers intact or your money back?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
If we had dented beer cans would we return them or just drink them?

They're already pressure tested, so no leaks = all good.
smile.gif

I was burnt twice by Rock Auto close-outs. That was long time ago: some parts were dented, some had rust on them, some threads were stripped.

The same goes for third parties on Amazon. Bought an Aisin fan bracket for a Land Cruiser, and the threads were damaged.

I avoid any seller on eBay with feedback score less than 99.7%.

Ask Fram if they have any warranty. I'm sure the answer is no, as these are not from an authorized retailer. These are second hand. More and more I prefer to buy from a local store or their website, like Walmart. Been burned by Rock auto and by Amazon. What is the savings here in the big picture versus retail at WM?

This is the evidence from their ebay store:

"SAE Parts scours the globe finding the best surplus parts from all over the world."

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Ask Fram if they have any warranty. I'm sure the answer is no, as these are not from an authorized retailer. These are second hand. More and more I prefer to buy from a local store or their website, like Walmart. Been burned by Rock auto and by Amazon. What is the savings here in the big picture versus retail at WM?

This is the evidence from their ebay store:

"SAE Parts scours the globe finding the best surplus parts from all over the world."

Actually, I asked Jay Buckley/motorking this exact question-and he said Fram would cover them IF they were undamaged/undented. I have bought several 6-packs of filters on eBay, and other than the fact the sellers can't package them correctly (causing dents that they have to replace or credit) & the filter boxes are somewhat ugly, I've had ZERO issues with the ones I've used. WM is generally around $9, I've bought them in an eBay 6 pack for $23 (XG8As), which would be well under $4.

I bough some Fram Ultra XG10060 from the same seller and a couple arrived dented also. Some pictures and messaging the seller, he prorated refund me the bad filters. Packaging was not as bad as the OP's but one could tell they have traveled a bit in their lives before being sold by him.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would file a claim and dispute the products. You will most likely get them for free. Otherwise have them send you a packing slip and return the order. I have never purchased oil filters online. I have had some poor products that I purchased online and like to buy from power sellers if I can.

I'd do that if and only if the seller refused to make good on the filters in question. I would give them a shot at doing that first. As I said earlier I had no problems getting the 2 dented filters I got replaced.

No big deal if you file a claim at the same time you notify the seller. They will get the word promptly either way that you are less than satisfied. And notifying Ebay of the issue via a claim is just keeping them in the loop. Either way the seller has several days to try and resolve it with you. Ebay has your back on damaged goods. I've filed about 10 claims this year on 50 orders...all for damaged goods not as described. All you need are some photographs showing the damage. In every case I was made whole including shipping. If I didn't hear back from a seller within 24 hrs I'd initiate the claim. It's just a simple way of documenting what you got. It doesn't hurt the seller one iota. And it covers both parties until an agreement is reached.

eBay will step in to guarantee your refund even if the seller balks. I'd also be disappointed, especially if the seller listed the filters as "new." They should have been listed as "new other."

I've also bought Fram FPS filters from seller tc14jr with no problems at all.

SAE answered my message and asked to go through the eBay return process, which I did. I now have a shipping label for a return (prepaid). I'll end up made whole but it's interesting that the seller wants the filters back and is paying for return shipping- only thing I can think is they will be resold. Just an FYI in case you use the XG8A.

I looked at tc14jr for FPS filters and seller doesn't have the FPS8A listed so I hopped over to Rock Auto and found them on closeout for about $2.50 a piece. Hopefully better luck there. I've never bought closeout items from them. I'm really hoping they pack better than just loose filters in a box and won't send damaged inventory. Any experience there?

RockAuto has it's risks also, Their returns process is not as convenient as Ebay and their seller protection.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would file a claim and dispute the products. You will most likely get them for free. Otherwise have them send you a packing slip and return the order. I have never purchased oil filters online. I have had some poor products that I purchased online and like to buy from power sellers if I can.

I'd do that if and only if the seller refused to make good on the filters in question. I would give them a shot at doing that first. As I said earlier I had no problems getting the 2 dented filters I got replaced.

No big deal if you file a claim at the same time you notify the seller. They will get the word promptly either way that you are less than satisfied. And notifying Ebay of the issue via a claim is just keeping them in the loop. Either way the seller has several days to try and resolve it with you. Ebay has your back on damaged goods. I've filed about 10 claims this year on 50 orders...all for damaged goods not as described. All you need are some photographs showing the damage. In every case I was made whole including shipping. If I didn't hear back from a seller within 24 hrs I'd initiate the claim. It's just a simple way of documenting what you got. It doesn't hurt the seller one iota. And it covers both parties until an agreement is reached.

I hear ya.
wink.gif
I notified the seller through the Ebay system, I didn't feel the need to dispute it with Paypal, unless I was not satisfied with the outcome. In any event I had no problems getting a rapid reply and the outcome was exactly what I wanted. I also gave the seller positive feedback and did business with them again.

In situations like this I give the seller the benefit of the doubt, and enough rope to hang themselves with if things don't go my way.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
IMO, buying filters on eBay or from Rock Auto is taking on some risk on what you're going to receive. All you can do is see if the seller will correct the things that are wrong.

Interesting, I have never ordered filters from ebay but have ordered quite a few from RockAuto and they have always came in perfect condition (as well as every other part I have ever ordered from them).

Filters from Rock Auto came in today. I ordered 8. Could see some shelf wear on the boxes but not bad. Did a quick inspection and 1 has a little ding in the end cap, one in the side. Both about the size of a pencil tip- not sure what would cause that. Also noticed 2 had excess glue around the outlet holes. Not covering the holes but just looked like some extra dripped. Not sure either is cause for concern unless someone thinks otherwise, but the dings bother me more than the glue. Overall pretty happy with them for a not great packing job. I'm kind of amazed they made it so well and definitely think now the other filters were beat before shipping.

Took another look when I went to take pictures and now I'm 99% convinced those issues are too minor to worry about. Everything else looks great. Here are pics anyway. I did find the date code- A32521 which should be 2013 (boxes have a 2013 copyright), I didn't even know these were around then! For 5 years old they have no rust or other issues I can see so not worried there either unless someone can tell me otherwise. I think I ended up pretty good for the 2nd shot at this anyway.

Adam

20190109_162746.jpg

20190109_162122.jpg

20190109_162034.jpg

20190109_162002.jpg

20190109_161933.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back