Ebay email and account security question

Status
Not open for further replies.
All hail in the land of Bitog, the great and powerful.

So, tonight I'm checking my email when low and behold I see an email from Ebay telling me I MUST reset the password to my Ebay account.

Hummmmmmmmmm

Yes, I read recently that Ebay had been hacked by some hacker out there in cyberland who can't get a girlfriend and sits up nights happily hacking hoping to hijack the hypersensitive history of would be Ebay buyers and sellers.

Yes, I do have an Ebay account out there somewhere. I visited Ebay probably six or eight years ago in search for tractor parts to keep "D" the Mighty living in a piston pumping kinda way.

Yes, I found my parts and promptly paid for them via a postal money order that was sent "snail mail" to said person who had the parts I wanted. I never opened a "paypal" account, and other than my Email address and super secret security sentence, I posted no info to my account.

After I received the parts I needed, I never used the account again. Quite frankly, I don't even remember my screen name, (it had something to do with a tractor) and I certainly don't remember my password. So when I heard of the hacker's success, I kinda blew it off.

Now I've received this Email from Ebay and I'm thinking it's some kind of scam. What say you guys? I haven't opened the email for fear of releasing some kind of killer virus in my humble computer so I don't even know what it says.

Secondly, what could a hacker do with my account. He knows my email address, but big deal. He might even know I like old tractors. I doubt that's much use to him. I never posted any bank info or credit card info, so my account is really a dud to someone looking for something financially exciting. But then there's always that uneasy feeling that something might be going on out there which I am totally and completely unaware of since I am so cyber stupid.

Help me sleep well tonight fellas and tell me I have nothing to worry about.

yea it seems like the vast majority of people get the email RIGHT AFTER CHANGING THEIR PASSWORD.. ebay = FTL

its probably legit but dont click the link if you arent sure you can reset from www.ebay.com

A screenshot showing them sending me the URGENT password reset email... 4 days after I reset my password

ebayfail.JPG

Last edited:
Alrighty then - just visited Ebay and after banging out the cobwebs in my memory, found my old account and changed my password. Checked my account activity as well - nothing happening so I feel so much better now
smile.gif

Thanks guys, I'll be dreaming of you all tonight in an oily way.

They were compromised in March and want everybody to change their password just in case, although they say nobody appears to have been hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back