Easy method to clean rubber floor mats

So you're washing these things in your bathtub?

In all honesty, unless you wash them very infrequently, the leftover car wash solution from a car wash session is more than adequate for cleaning floor mats.
I do wash them fairly infrequently except in winter, and I barely use any car wash type detergent when washing the vehicles, so a couple drops of dish detergent in far less water, works out best for my use in the driveway.

I could add it to the vehicle wash water, but I'm not that desperate to save ~8 oz of water I'd pour off to end up with a stronger detergent solution.

I have been doing this for decades and have a pretty refined process. I only wash my mats when they are taken out to vac out the interior which needs done far less often than the exterior wash, except in winter, depends on how much it's snowed and how much salt was thrown down.

Last edited:
I use a 1/5 solution of Dawn. Then scrub it down with a brush. Mat looks brand new except for the heel wear spots

Vacuum the loose stuff off, rinse it, and then take a scrub brush and lather it up with just a regular bar of soap, and then scrub that mat. Hose it off after and let it dry. Just plain old fashion soap will get that mat cleaner than ANY other product.

Everyone has a method that works for them

I use dish soap and water, purple power, whatever I feel like using that day and a drill brush and rinse

Back