Easy hydrostatic oil refresh/change

I have a John Deere X380. I was able to change out 400 cc of old hydrostatic oil, using a Mityvac.

On my transmission, there's a vent plug at the top, left, rear of the tranny. I pulled off the cover, then the plug, and was able to fit the small hose from the Mityvac, down the opening. I pulled out 400 cc of old oil, then used the Mityvac to force back in the same amount of new 20w-50 Pennzoil.

I did not need to bleed the hydro section of the pump, the tranny worked normal upon startup.

For those of us who don't have a drain plug, this method might work.

I have a John Deere X380. I was able to change out 400 cc of old hydrostatic oil, using a Mityvac.

On my transmission, there's a vent plug at the top, left, rear of the tranny. I pulled off the cover, then the plug, and was able to fit the small hose from the Mityvac, down the opening. I pulled out 400 cc of old oil, then used the Mityvac to force back in the same amount of new 20w-50 Pennzoil.

I did not need to bleed the hydro section of the pump, the tranny worked normal upon startup.

I wish you lived in Maryland! Good Job.

I did that with my LTR166 which is just riding lawnmower.

The 20W-50 didn't seem to work the best for mine unless it was just so dirty and wearing some prior. End of season it was having loss of power. I swapped next season to the Tuff Torq 5W-50 and that has been working well (knock on wood). It is time to change it again though.

Who knows maybe next time we'll see what Dave has for HPL choices.

I've looked several times on the craftsman lawnmower and I cannot find any kind of plug. I've honestly given up.

I did that with my LTR166 which is just riding lawnmower.

The 20W-50 didn't seem to work the best for mine unless it was just so dirty and wearing some prior. End of season it was having loss of power. I swapped next season to the Tuff Torq 5W-50 and that has been working well (knock on wood). It is time to change it again though.

Who knows maybe next time we'll see what Dave has for HPL choices.
I am running the HPL 5w-50 Hydrostatic Oil in two tuff torq transmissions.

Might be a silly question, but is there a spot that you could drill and tap for a plug?

Did the same method from the vent on my X354 with a manual extractor, worked good enough to repeat. I have seen later units have an exterior reservoir. There are a few YT videos that have also documented adding one. I think that is interesting but overkill.

Actually, there is indeed.

Great info. I dont not need this, but some may. If done correctly, this fights the "engineered obsolescence/failures"

If it was me, and I was going to keep the mower long term, might be worth trying. But Mityvac, does a great job also.

This just started with Brave. Might need to see abut the Ublock.

I have uBlock installed. :(

May need to adjust your block lists, here is what I have and do not see YT ads on any video:

Screenshot at 2024-06-14 10-08-07.jpg

Back