Ear protection..

Ditto on the headphones from Harbor Freight. Bought mine years ago for $4 bucks and they are still in great shape, for just a basic set.

I like to combine ear plugs with lower profile shotgun style muffs. The low profile style muffs don't usually have as much clamping force so are more comfortable for extended periods.

Truth is, if you need to ask strangers on the internet about basic shooting stuff...you either need some serious firearms training or just should never own a firearm.

Truth is, if you need to ask strangers on the internet about basic shooting stuff...you either need some serious firearms training or just should never own a firearm.
OP already has hearing protection but wants to get something different. With the selection of protection probably in the hundreds of choices, what's the harm in asking other's opinions based on what they use ? It's not really practical to go buy dozens of items to try.

Ear Protection
OIP.IR9XIOcKs_dCboofnMLbSwHaHa
Try these. 😄

I use some basic slim Walker 27db-rated passive muffs at the range for pistol shooting and never felt like they weren't adequate.

I find ratings subjective - there is little doubt theses lower rated plugs work better for me …
And as for foam - the barrel shaped work better for me …

Double up. Always. Soft foam plugs, Electronic muffs.
I do this as well. But my muffs are Howard Leight with a 33db rating. (Or so it says on the box). This gives excellent protection when shooting handguns.

Especially at indoor ranges. I don't use muffs, (just good fitting foam plugs), when shooting shoulder stocked weapons, (rifles and shotguns), outdoors, because of stock interference.

This is especially noticeable when shooting heavy recoiling magnum rifles off a bench. Outdoors the sound tends to dissipate more effectively.

Also, when shooting target loads in shotguns, they are a much lower pressure cartridge, (10,000 to 12,000 PSI). Compared to rifle cartridges, and several magnum handgun rounds that can attain pressures of over 60,000 PSI.

I spent about 7 years as a competitive shooter. I shot around 20-30k pistol rounds a year and 5-10k rifle(5.56)

I always double up ear pro. Foam plugs under MSA sordins with the gel cups were my most used setup. Probably 2/3 of my pistol shooting was at a indoor range. You only get one set of ears.

I spent about 7 years as a competitive shooter. I shot around 20-30k pistol rounds a year and 5-10k rifle(5.56)

I always double up ear pro. Foam plugs under MSA sordins with the gel cups were my most used setup. Probably 2/3 of my pistol shooting was at a indoor range. You only get one set of ears.
This, but I like these under my MSA's They remove a lot less situational awareness while still doing very well.

EARasers Noise Cancelling Earplugs - Reusable Noise Reduction Musicians Earplugs for Concerts, Djs – 19dB Peak Reduction​

1684833630147.png

As others have said, Double up. The foam plugs have better protection than ear muffs IF installed correctly but if you end up next to a muzzle brake neither one will be enough. The passive fat ones have the best protection but they are normally the heaviest, the electronic like the walker Razor slims with the addition of the replacement gel pads are the most comfortable with glasses but the muffs are $40 and the pads are $20 so not cheap but they do allow you wear foam plugs and still hear the range officers commands and doubled up provide good protection.
Take it from a guy that closed the barn door after the horse left, modern guns are 2x-3x louder than just a few years ago. What use to be good enough isnt anymore. There was a study showing that noise behind a gun with a muzzle brake was 2-4x louder than without the brake and if someone is doing a mag dump next to you, you will be deaf before you can get off the line.

I too double up like this. I have electronic muffs but can definitely tell the difference because they don’t reduce the sound as much.

I too avoid shooting indoors as much as I can. I like my outdoor ranges that I am a member of.
I have fired hundreds of rounds - but exactly none indoors …
Hope I never need to …

Back