Ear protection..

I recently got back into shooting, last week I was at the range twice, I plan on going again this week. I need purchase a decent pair of ear protection, they have to be earmuff style the ones I have now, came from Walmart I believe, but they're really crushing my ears, since I wear glasses now. What do you guys recommend, I have a large head.. which is another reason why it's probably crushing my glasses. I'm not looking to spend a fortune them either. Thank you

I like ear plugs, the foam ones. Dirt cheap, and now I try to keep one bag of them in the garage, one in the basement. Eventually a third will make its way into my range bag. From what I can tell, they are effective enough. I can usually hold a conversation with them in place. Too cheap to not have. These days I wear them when working on my car, my electric impact that I use to remove lugs is too loud for me--pop in a pair and go to town (unfortunately I can't hear the radio with them in, that's a bummer).

Just don't let them go through the wash, they don't see the same afterwards...

Are you shooting indoors and/or high power / short barrel stuff? I've heard of people doubling up, like earplugs plus muffs, when doing so.

Another plus for plugs is that I can wear them with a hat, winter or wide brimmed. I did buy a set of electronic muffs to try out, but have yet to warm up to them, probably because they are a cheap set and sound "tinny".

I like ear plugs, the foam ones. Dirt cheap, and now I try to keep one bag of them in the garage, one in the basement. Eventually a third will make its way into my range bag. From what I can tell, they are effective enough. I can usually hold a conversation with them in place. Too cheap to not have. These days I wear them when working on my car, my electric impact that I use to remove lugs is too loud for me--pop in a pair and go to town (unfortunately I can't hear the radio with them in, that's a bummer).

Are you shooting indoors and/or high power / short barrel stuff? I've heard of people doubling up, like earplugs plus muffs, when doing so.

Another plus for plugs is that I can wear them with a hat, winter or wide brimmed. I did buy a set of electronic muffs to try out, but have yet to warm up to them, probably because they are a cheap set and sound "tinny".
They don't allow them at the range..

They don't allow them at the range..
Interesting! had not heard of that, but I don't go to many ranges. Well, that changes things. I'll sit back then.

Dug out what I have. Caldwell, not sure on model. They fit on my head but they feel like a bit of a fight to get situated. They are definitely quiet. But now I see what I disliked--more like, "hear" when I turn them on: static. It's not that loud/bad but it's like listening to an FM station that isn't transmitting. I don't see how they wouldn't fit a big head, and I know I didn't pay that much for them, if nothing else, it'd be a start.

These 3M - Peltor Optime 105 hearing protection muffs are outstanding for large heads. Excellent 30db noise suppression and very comfortable to wear for hours.

1679877670132.jpg

I double up with custom fit plugs and electronic muffs and avoid shooting at indoor ranges. If I only shoot with plugs or muffs, my ears will ring like mad for days.

I double up with custom fit plugs and electronic muffs and avoid shooting at indoor ranges. If I only shoot with plugs or muffs, my ears will ring like mad for days.
Indoor shooting.

I did some hearing damage in my younger days doing that ( 22-250 and Beretta 9m ).

I too double up like this. I have electronic muffs but can definitely tell the difference because they don’t reduce the sound as much.

I too avoid shooting indoors as much as I can. I like my outdoor ranges that I am a member of.

I wear glasses and I bought these a few years ago. They are excellent:Fnova 34dB NRR Ear Protection for Shooting, Safety Ear Muffs Defenders https://a.co/d/aGZgyH5

and won't break the bank. I even wear my one in-ear hearing aid with them. No problem. My hearing was damaged from my career as a cop plus surfing in NJ in the winter for decades so I'm trying to preserve what's left and these do the job.

I use the soft foam ones made by Eros....works great and very comfortable.... I also use them at times when I go to sleep...

Al, the 23 dB NRR of those electronic Walker muffs isn't very good. You can get passive muffs for $15 with NRR over 30. There's no reason not to double up when shooting, all the hearing protection you can get is a good thing. Many sources call 25 NRR the minimum you should have for shooting.

Al, the 23 dB NRR of those electronic Walker muffs isn't very good. You can get passive muffs for $15 with NRR over 30. There's no reason not to double up when shooting, all the hearing protection you can get is a good thing. Many sources call 25 NRR the minimum you should have for shooting.
True and at practice I sometmes do. But for training you absolutely must have electronic ones.

Back