E39 BMW 528i 5spd -- alternative to BMW fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW specifies a lifetime BMW trans fluid that costs a lot of money. I don't believe in lifetime fluids. Does anyone have experience with the E39 BMW manual trans?

My E36 BMW M3 also specifies a lifetime BMW trans fluid, but Redline D4ATF has been found to work well and I am using it.

Philip Bradley

Not alot of experience with the manual but I know for the automatic "lifetime fluids" the Redline D4, Pennzoil/Q.S. Multi-Vehicle ATF, and Valvoline MaxLife Syntehtic ATF work well.

the cost of the lifetime fluid is minimal compared to the cost of the car and transmission.

Id bet that either an 80wt or atf is the reccomended viscosity. Figure out the viscosity, and then get either the redline of specialty formulations fluid to replace it if you have to not use OE fluids.

JMH

OEM is option 2 and I would do that before going with untested aftermarket fluids. With respect to the E36 M3, however, the performance community has determined that Redline D4 ATF (or its Royal Purple equivalent) is perfectly acceptable alternative to the specified lifetime fluid. I am hoping someone has similar information on the E39 528i manual trans.

Philip Bradley

Philip Bradley

If you want to know what your fluid is, just buy a quart from the dealer and send it out for a virgin oil analysis.
And, to see how poorly the OEM fluid performs, send some out for a used oil analysis after ~30k miles of usage

BMW(like most automakers now) plays musical fluids. ATF/LTF-1/MTF-LT-1/LTF-2/MTF-2....... are used in manual trannies which are supplied by Getrag or ZF.
What other auto makers use Getrag or ZF trannies? What proprietary fluids do they spec?

I would only use thin 20wt ATF's if you're completely unhappy with the 30wt MTF's.

I'd rather have the protection of a true MTF over an ATF in any gearbox that I own.
My 1st choice would be Pennzoil Syncromesh, which is priced well and available at various autoparts stores.
The boutique oils Redline/Specialtyformulation/Royalpurple/Torco/Amsoil/Neo/BG products/... have excellent choices of ATFs/MTFs to use.

I have a 2004 Toyota 4runner with the 4.7 V8 and the 5speed automatic transmission that doesn't have a transmission dipstick has a transmission cooler and no filter just a screen. Toyota claims that the ATF never needs to be changed unless you tow,(towing cap. 7000 lbs) and then it should be serviced every 60K miles. Toyota is using a new transmission fluid that is call "World Standard" ATFWS and is not compatible with any other ATF. The new 4runner also comes with 100K mile antifreeze. I plan on trading at 80K miles and figure I only need to do oil/filter changes and the diffs and transfer case. This makes the AWD 4runner one of the lowest maintance SUV's on the road, if you own it for 80K miles. I sure like these new vehicles. I know a guy that is a expert on transmissions and consults and he says that if a fluid is not over heated it will last. Heat is the enemy and shortens a fluids life. Fluid only needs to be replaced if it is over heated i.e. the new synthetics can tolerate higher temp's then the older fluids and with the fact that the 4runner has a transmission cooler if no towing is involved the new WSATF will not need to be serviced since it is a sealed unit and no outside contaminates get introduced. Guess we will see.

I e-mailed Redline. They recommended D4ATF for both the E36 M3 and the E39 528i. They said their MTL could also be used, but would provide slightly worse cold shifting. I live in NH, so I will go with the D4ATF.

Philip Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back