E10/E15 Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The phase separation thing can happen, but highly unlikely in a modern vehicle with a closed, non vented fuel system. My 2015 Chevy 2500 gasser uses nothing but E85 all year. I rarely put more than 5000 miles a year on it and a couple of years never saw more than 3000 miles. During the winter, it sits sometimes for 2-3 weeks between use. Filled with E85. Nary a problem.

Since water is required for phase separation to occur, I suggest that folks not introduce water into their fuel tanks thereby greatly reducing the risk. I never put water in my fuel tanks. Also, keep the fuel tanks topped off as much as possible in the winter if the vehicle is going to sit tor long periods. Again, greatly reduces the risk of a ethanol phase separation issue.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It seems my Toro mower is finicky with the ethanol fuel. The longer the gas is in the gas can or gas reservoir, the harder it seems to start.

I think I'm going to start putting in E0 during the end of the cutting season so that it's stored with non ethanol fuel. My understanding is ethanol is bad for the carb??

I use nothing but e0 91 octane Esso in my small engines all summer long. They use little enough fuel that the cost isn't an issue. In my 84 Oldsmobile I use regular e10 87 octane all summer and then switch to e0 91 again the last couple tanks before snow gets forecasted and I park it for winter when stabilizer also in it. No issues at all this year in any of my stuff. The gas is almost a year old that I'm using in the leaf blower and trimmer because I bought too much. Both are running perfect with no apparent fuel issues.

I have my girlfriend's dad's mower here to try to fix.... Had regular gas in it used a couple times then stored for winter and it never ran again.

IMG_20190610_174851.jpg

IMG_20190610_174234.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back