E-10 Causes Sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading an article in this month's edition of Canadian Technician on Oil Sludge. The author indicated the E-10 is causing increased sludge & water build up in the crankcase from the use of E-10. Internet digging didn't seem to reveal much on this topic. Any truth to this? If so how severe is this issue?

Yes, all my lawn mowers and weed eaters and only lasting a few years with e10. Go to small engine shops and they will have dosens of failed fuel system equipment not worth repairing, and they will tellya e10 is [censored], for motor health.

Places like home depot are carrying smalls can of fuel without e10 , which probably isnt a bad idea.

In my bike with a cat, I run a leaded racefuel mix since new, which eats the bad property results of e10, such as hard carbon. That motor has over 100,000 miles on it, runs like a top.

Thread is about oil, not fuel systems....

302K miles, all on E10, OCI from 4K to 11K miles; if there is a problem with sludging, it hasn't shown up yet in my vehicle.

Last edited:
E10 does cause sludge. Ethanol attracts water, so anywhere that gasoline goes, water goes too. Water is also a combustion byproduct of ethanol. When water gets mixed with motor oil under heat and pressure, it forms a sludgy, emulsified goo.
Ethanol has no benefit in motor oil other than operating as a fuel line antifreeze.
Anyone that tells you that it is a step closer to alternative fuels is wrong. Ethanol as a fuel is very inefficient, dirty burning, and very expensive to produce.
It is time to abandon ethanol entirely.

May be a issue in really cold climates with a engine that is short tripped and rarely up to full operating temp, driven normally it isn't a problem...

Everyone likes to tell horror stories that they've "heard" or read about. Leaving aside the questionable benefits, Massachusetts has required E10 since it was invented and I've never directly seen nor heard of anyone having an issue with sludge or fuel system components. Perhaps an engine with a faulty PCV system, or one that has lots of blowby due to poor maintenance may experience issues with E10...

There are other ways to look at the same facts:
-Ethanol removes water from the fuel system, protecting it.
-Water is a byproduct of gasoline combustion, also.
-Ethanol in the motor oil has no effect on the fuel line.

I would like to see how ethanol burns dirtier than gasoline.

Originally Posted By: salv
E10 does cause sludge. Ethanol attracts water, so anywhere that gasoline goes, water goes too. Water is also a combustion byproduct of ethanol. When water gets mixed with motor oil under heat and pressure, it forms a sludgy, emulsified goo.
Ethanol has no benefit in motor oil other than operating as a fuel line antifreeze.
Anyone that tells you that it is a step closer to alternative fuels is wrong. Ethanol as a fuel is very inefficient, dirty burning, and very expensive to produce.

Quote:

Anyone that tells you that it is a step closer to alternative fuels is wrong.

Brazilians will tell you otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

+1

Must be the cars I have that have only seen E10 fuel and 7-11k mile oil changes on full synthetic oils are sludge monsters. Oh wait, there's not even a hint of varnish under the valve covers. I've had the Fit's valve cover off to adjust the valves, and can see the exhaust cam on the Cruze through the fill hole. Those engines are pristine under there. My old Buick running mostly full synthetic oils and E10 gas was pristine when I dropped the oil pan to replace a leaking pan gasket.

Anecdotally, E10 has not caused a sludge problem on any of my personal cars. Then again, I also keep up on maintenance on those cars.

The problems from E10 are mostly in engines that are not run all the time (like a car is). In some cases the fuel tank was old (and dirty) and the transition to E10 was not a pretty sight. And there were a few gas tanks in older boats where the E10 attacked the fiberglass fuel tank and it started to leak and had to be replaced.

Not sure I by the sludge comment.

Quote:

What's left of the rain forest down there indiucates otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Scout1
Hang on, I thought the extra oxygen in it made for cleaner combustion. Why do you say it's "dirty burning"?

ethanol only burns clean under complete combustion. that does not happen in a motor. burning ethanol actually increases emissions that are bad for human lung health. Studies have already shown this.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
There are other ways to look at the same facts:
-Ethanol removes water from the fuel system, protecting it.
-Water is a byproduct of gasoline combustion, also.
-Ethanol in the motor oil has no effect on the fuel line.

I would like to see how ethanol burns dirtier than gasoline.

Originally Posted By: salv

Salv, what's with the misleading post? Water is a byproduct of just about every combustion process...

Dirty, huh? What makes you say that?

Quote:

No they won't since their air quality is getting worse with ethanol fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back