Dying appliances: When we don't notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
USUALLY the reason older fridges run the compressor more often are either because the coils are filthy and the air fins are clogged with dust...DRASTICALLY reduces efficiency you need to clean these parts at least once a year, or the door seals are failing.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
USUALLY the reason older fridges run the compressor more often are either because the coils are filthy and the air fins are clogged with dust...DRASTICALLY reduces efficiency you need to clean these parts at least once a year, or the door seals are failing.

I cleaned them once a month, that wasn't the issue unfortunately.

One thing I found with mine is the balance between freezer and refrigerated compartment is very hard to determine and balance out. I temporarily put in two temp controllers just for the displays. Took a couple weeks of minor adjustments between the freezer control, which is where the evaporator is and is just an air flow control and the refrigerated compartment, which gets the excess cold air from the freezer.

This fridge, a Kenmore, has a problem sometimes. It will only cool to about 45f in the refrigerated compartment. If I were to adjust the temp control colder it was already a closed switch and still would not go below 45f.

Took the wire harness apart at the connector, reassembled and all works fine. I have to do this about once a year. Apparently one of the pins in the connector is wonky somehow. All I do now is take out two screws, drop the control piece and unplug it, plug it back in and good to go for awhile.

My wife wanted to replace our refrigerator a number of years ago because it was making a funny noise, and it ran all the time. After months and months of putting it off, she finally wore me down enough to buy a new one. It's a Frigidaire Gallery...fine fridge. We put the old GE into the garage. It's still out there, plugging away. It's the water/Gatorade/soda pop/leftovers fridge and freezer. That unit, original to our house (1993), still works like a champ. I feel bad for it in the heat of the summer -- it's out in the 100 deg F garage just a'running 24/7. It likes this time of year, though...nice and cool out there...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My wife wanted to replace our refrigerator a number of years ago because it was making a funny noise, and it ran all the time. After months and months of putting it off, she finally wore me down enough to buy a new one. It's a Frigidaire Gallery...fine fridge. We put the old GE into the garage. It's still out there, plugging away. It's the water/Gatorade/soda pop/leftovers fridge and freezer. That unit, original to our house (1993), still works like a champ. I feel bad for it in the heat of the summer -- it's out in the 100 deg F garage just a'running 24/7. It likes this time of year, though...nice and cool out there...

If it was running all the time in the house it's working even harder in the garage. Given that a big reason for replacing older units is that they use half the energy you're not doing yourself any favors by not junking the old fridge. You'd be much better off with a cheapo new unit because it would at least be much more efficient than the 93 model.

Mine is a 1999 with a bottom mounted condenser...cleaned it for the first time with compressed air...holy [censored] was it dirty!!! Runs much less now

This thread is relevant to my interest now that I am getting a new dishwasher. Any recommendations? Seems like Frigidaire has my vote on cost vs. features so far.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Wow, this thread reminds me to do ours, as I think we haven't done it for a couple years now...

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
This thread is relevant to my interest now that I am getting a new dishwasher. Any recommendations? Seems like Frigidaire has my vote on cost vs. features so far.

Bosch or Meile are top of the line DWs

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Wow, this thread reminds me to do ours, as I think we haven't done it for a couple years now...

I am certain our house is probably much dustier than yours
smile.gif
The pets and the age of the place pretty much guarantee that there's dust action 24/7.

I have a Kenmore fridge that is 12 years old where a lot of the wear items are starting to rear it's ugly head. Had to replace the evaporator fan which was hard to diagnose. Then recently I had to replace the automatic defrost bi-metal thermostat because the evaporator coils were freezing up every week. Gave it a good cleanup and hopefully it will last until the dreaded compressor piston slap.

Also trying to find out what to use to protect/renew door seals. Door seals is still pliable but don't want to use WD40 or PB blaster which might harm the seals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I have a Kenmore fridge that is 12 years old where a lot of the wear items are starting to rear it's ugly head. Had to replace the evaporator fan which was hard to diagnose. Then recently I had to replace the automatic defrost bi-metal thermostat because the evaporator coils were freezing up every week. Gave it a good cleanup and hopefully it will last until the dreaded compressor piston slap.

Also trying to find out what to use to protect/renew door seals. Door seals is still pliable but don't want to use WD40 or PB blaster which might harm the seals.
Don't know if you have to use anything but soap and water. Maybe some silicon spray if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back