DVD/Blu-Ray player with Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sony blu ray wifi and a samsung blu ray wifi. apparently, the wifi on the samsung is super picky. I had to move the samsung to the living room so it would connect to netflix. if it was in the upstairs bonus room, it would drop the internet connection to netflix ALOT. the sony blu ray wifi worked in both locations. so the samsung wifi must be weaker than my sony wifi blu ray.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: Cujet
it starts out with a fuzzy picture every time. But after a minute or two, it's fairly clear.

I experience the same thing when streaming Netflix through my Xbox 360, so I wonder if that it a Netflix thing and not specific to the streaming device.

Must be device. With my panasonic bluray player I have never had a fuzzy NF picture - in the beginning or any other time ...

Just got the Panasonic model 220

It's the recommended buy on several magazines / websites

The alternative is the Sony 590

I went with the Panny because it can do Skype if I buy a camera and the interface is better and blu rays start up faster

Haven't had the wifi issues that some claim to have

Streamed Vudu HDx pretty flawlessly but had to do a hard reset once at the beginning

These seem to be the best 2 choices. Some say the LG 620 model is good for handling lots of different formats

I primarily want blu ray quality and the 3d option and the nice to have Skype option

Based on reviews no need to spend more unless you are an audiophile

OP Update: I ended up buying a Roku 2 XS. My only need is streaming and the Roku got great reviews and was relatively inexpensive. I'll probably use the Roku via wireless, but the wired Ethernet port on the Roku affords me that option if I need/want to use it instead.

Nice choice. Make sure to check out the Crackle channel once you get it... there's some good stuff there (I use it mainly for Seinfeld).

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've got a new Roku. It's pretty good. My internet is 27mbps and it starts out with a fuzzy picture every time. But after a minute or two, it's fairly clear. But not as good as my Blu-Ray.

Which model Roku do you have? I think the newer models will start with a slightly lower resolution stream, which will then improve, as the buffer increases, so there's no delay when starting the video. I think they call it "adaptive streaming" which alters resolution based on bandwidth and buffer size.

I have the older model (N1000?) that starts out at the highest level but there's a slight delay when loading videos. Our Blu Ray player (LG) does the same thing.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I ended up buying a Roku 2 XS.

Hmm... I wonder if I made a mistake in purchasing the XS versus the XD. It appears that he XS uses a remote that operates on radio frequency which means I won't be able to program my IR universal remote that controls everything else.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
Pretty sure all Roku remotes use IR frequency. I think you just won't have the motion sensing part.

No, the remote that comes with the XS has no IR thing on it and the manual has a note that says, "Because your enhanced remote uses radio frequency instead of infrared, you don’t need to have a direct line of sight to your Roku player!"

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which universal remote control do you have? Some of them support radio.

It's a Sony RM-VL600. IR only. No radio support.

The Roku will respond to IR controls regardless of the model. It's just your remote that doesn't have them. You just need to track down the right codes for your Sony remote. However I am not sure what you will do if your Sony has to learn the commands.

http://www.roku.com/accessories#4

Both remotes work with all Rokus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdeare
You just need to track down the right codes for your Sony remote. However I am not sure what you will do if your Sony has to learn the commands.

I may have to see if the good folks at Roku Support can offer any help. Otherwise I may just have to but the regular remote so that I can "teach" my Sony universal/learning remote. Or maybe I just learn to live with a second remote. It also appears as if there's an iPhone app, but that would just be the equivalent of a second remote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back