Dutch Boy Exterior Paint (Home Use)

I was in Menards and noticed they had Dutch Boy paint which intrigued me. I usually use Valspar out of convenience but I don’t think it is anything special, although Lowe’s sure thinks so.

I have some exterior trim and deck work to do and was curious if anyone here had experience with Dutch Boy.

We had a professional paint recently and he used Sherwin Williams.

I painted my one story ranch three years ago with this and could not be happier. I did 2 to 3 coats though and added some algicide to certain areas. It's basically plastic coating when cured after about a week or two.

Dutch Boy® Maxbond® Plus Exterior 100% Acrylic Satin​

I remember hearing that name WAY back in the day but can't say I ever used it or knew anyone that did. It was always Sherwin Willams, Valspar, Behr or Benjamin Moore paints that I remember using.

Dutch Boy and Valspar are brands now owned by Sherwin Willams. I doubt those two brands still have their own paint chemist. That is one downfall for employees made possible when you buy the competition.

My father was a painting contractor from 1958 to 2013
We never used Dutch Boy when he was a real boy and now its Dutch Geezer.
Nothing special and never was.

My brother retained the business and still paints today.. No Dutch 👎
Did he ever use Duron or Benjamin Moore Paints?

Did he ever use Duron or Benjamin Moore Paints?
BM and P&L mostly in my day. Still BM and Satin Impervo oil for trim.
We did all oil trim.
Duron when it first came out was absolute junk. We did a big house for a Duron rep and he supplied the paint.

In the end he agreed it was junk and we switched him over to BM. Never used Duron again.

This was in 1991. It had zero covering power. A waste of time. Of course that paint was around far earlier just not in our area.
All brands screw up and in 2011 I got a bad batch of BM for my personal house and they tried as usual to blow it off but they heard my name and replaced it all because our extended family also were union contractors as well.
At that point they had no choice.
The last time I tried Pratt & Lambert it was junk too. Of course in the 80s it was fine but they often ruined it..
Prep and skill usually is what let's you get away with a substandard paint. Not always though.

I love Menards and have used some Dutch Boy paint, but nothing exterior. I did paint a set of Corn Hole boards with it if that counts...

We've primarily used Bear from HD on the exterior paint, just because it's what I've used for years.

Just my $0.02

The last time was the third time I've painted the house in 41 years. Last time all by my self. First time used Sears, second was Glidden. Both caulked down to nothing in the sun. Glidden was bad for algae. None are one coat wonders that worked in one coat. The Dutch Boy was the best at that with two coats. I wanted three coats on the sunny side.

And the shinier it is the longer it will last so flat paint is good for the least amount of time. Satin and glossy will both degrade to a flat finish before they wash off but last longer.

I painted my house after the BM fiasco with something I didn't think I'd ever use Behr latex wall paint only. The trim was BM Satin Impervo oil which I didn't have issues with. It's always been pretty consistent.

This picture shows a 13 year old paint job I did very fast and at the time it seemed endless as i did it by myself. (Whole house) Originally they used Sherwin Williams builder grade junk paint in 2006 when the house was built. I was the second owner.

They slopped latex on the trim and caulked huge beads everywhere.
The carpenter no doubt...lol.

I got used to Behr real fast and my family and other painters said they couldn't work with it. I had no issue with it but their trim paint then was junk and I did not use it. Junk means it went on tacky regardless of thinning and dragged real bad and was hard to get it to flow and lay off without undue effort

All walls and ceilings were rolled...nothing sprayed. I would use it again for ceilings and walls. And it covered beautifully as those walls were dark brown prior. Two coats only.
Most pro painters get stuck with one brand and when and only when the mfg ruins it do they look elsewhere.

In my other house I had it built in 1999 and used BM on it and the original paint is excellent. Hasn't even been touched up. Even the bathrooms have never been repainted.

1000000188.jpg

Good advice so far. Maybe @demarpaint can weigh in also.
I'm honored!

Dutch Boy paint has been around forever, the company changed hands several times. I can count on one hand how many times I used their paint. I still reach for Benjamin Moore Paints. Their Select interior paint line is very good imo. It's not cheap, even at wholesale prices, but it works very well. I remember discussing with a fellow PDCA member different paints, and he called me crazy for using premium paint in closets and ceilings. I laughed, and said I make money in time. I don't have the time to jerk around trying to get cheap paint to cover, even in closets. I don't need the hassle or the possibility of a call back from someone unhappy with my work.

I would opt for Benjamin Moore's exterior paints and stains for the OP's project. Moorglo for the trim and Arborcoat Waterborne solid stain for the deck. It's a solid stain that looks like paint and holds up very well on properly prepared decks.

I was in Menards and noticed they had Dutch Boy paint which intrigued me. I usually use Valspar out of convenience but I don’t think it is anything special, although Lowe’s sure thinks so.

I have some exterior trim and deck work to do and was curious if anyone here had experience with Dutch Boy.

We had a professional paint recently and he used Sherwin Williams.
Consumer reports had a recent testing of paints. Can't remember which they recommended but it's out there somewhere. I recycled the magazine. Maybe someone still has it.

Certainly not a pro, but have commercial experience in my younger days and have lived through and painted dozens of places in my life and Benjamin Moore is my go to inside or out.

The only box store paint I would use is Behr. It’s not worth using Glidden(in their defense, Diamond isn’t a bad paint at all), Valspar or Dutch Boy. Ace’s house brands are made by Benjamin Moore, while SW’s cheaper lines - especially Valspar have been disappointing to use.

I’d spend the cash and consider Benjamin Moore or a “local” brand like Dunn-Edwards, Vista, Miller or California. Especially since the price difference between Behr’s best(Marquee and Dynasty) isn’t much more than Ben Moore’s Regal Select or Aura. Paint is cheap in comparison to labor(be it time for DIY or money if you’re hiring a painter). We had Kelly-Moore here in the Bay Area, a long time institution and well respected by the pros here. Private equity gutted them, and Dunn-Edwards as well as Vista Paint bought out their old stores.

I just got a gallon of Sherwin Williams Duration exterior paint and it was $7x.00 AFTER the 30% off sale! Paint has gone up 80-100% from what I remember 5 years ago!

I just looked and it’s $105.99 in satin, list price. I how this gallon goes pretty far on my exterior touch-ups

Back