Duromax 16hp engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Just some info for anyone looking at a higher hp engine.

I've got an air compressor that was using a 2cyl Deutsch diesel engine 15hp/24 fp torque. I'm also in the middle of a frame-off truck restoration and using this compressor for sandblasting, painting, etc. Its a real workhorse, lots of cfm capacity to run everything I need so its def a shop partner.

The diesel died on me and the tab to fix injector pumps, etc was min $400, so I got the bright idea of maybe just replacing the engine as a fast fix and then me doing the repairs myself as time permitted. Priority is the truck project.

I poked around the internet and found some info on this gas engine - its a Chinese made 16 hp/21 ft lb torque.
396350200.jpg

More research didn't reveal a lot of issues or failures and I found it on ebay for $279 shipped. I thought maybe to give it a shot. A little adapter plate fab and a revised muffler routing later I was in business.
396350199.jpg

Time will tell of course, but the engine seems to work fine, plenty of power to spin the air pump and using the pull cord works to get it running, even with the pulley belts on (compressor unloaded though!). I ran it for 30 min with no pulleys attached, then changed the oil, using a straight 30w SM oil both times. No weird stuff floating around the first oil fill. I now have about 20 hrs on this engine.

Just mentioning this as I needed a quick replacement and had limited funds/time. I'm not affiliated with this mfg so don't shoot.

Lots of initial oil changes are just about Mandatory for Chinese built engines.
I too look forward to hearing a progress report in a few months.

Just a bit of an update, been running this thing several times a week in the TX heat. Guesstimate is about 100 hrs so far - so good. Hasn't missed a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back