Dune & other Sci-Fi novels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Dune a long time ago, like 10 years ago, anyway I recently picked up a really nice copy from B&N and re-read it.

Then I just finished watching the movie again.

Apparently a new movie comes out toward the end of this year, and from what I gather it's the start of a series of movies on the first book alone.

Anyway, I've read all the Frank Herbert Dune series prior to this, and wanted to know if anyone on here has read any of his sons Dune novels? Is it worth it?

Anyone in here like classic Science Fiction Novels?
What are some of your favorites?

I'm now rereading the Barsoom series (in vintage Frank Frazetta glory)

20200127_232523.jpg

read dune in the '70s ,re read it once every so often.Also asimov's foundation series, now mostly read on line fan fiction- a lot of crap and unfinished stories but the occasional gems are worth it.
Besides nor much else to do right now

These are prequel books. Not as good as original Dune, but still a good read if you are into this....

Not "Classic" SF, but I like Harry Turtledove's books- particularly his Worldwar series.

The movie John Carter wasn't that bad if you read the books. But I could see how if you didn't know what was going on, it wasn't a very good movie.

Haven't been reading that much lately. At one point I was just reading the Hugo nominees, but those have been a mixed bag too so I haven't even been doing that lately.

I am currently re-reading the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey. (pseudonym for two authors)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

I have enjoyed this series enough to want to re-read it. You absolutely have to read them in order as they build on each other.

If you have amazon Prime, you can find the TV series adaptation

I have enjoyed the series on Amazon but it's no where close to being as good as the books. If they had unlimited time and budget to throw at the series, I think they could do a fantastic job and do justice to the books. But as they stand now, I think the show on Amazon is good. I'd rate it higher if I had not read the books.

-A

The Martian
Enders Game
Old Man's War
The Forever War
Children of Time
Rendezvous with Rama
One Second After - More dystopian but very good.

Originally Posted by amblerman
I am currently re-reading the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey. (pseudonym for two authors)

I have enjoyed this series enough to want to re-read it. You absolutely have to read them in order as they build on each other.

I have enjoyed the series on Amazon but it's no where close to being as good as the books. If they had unlimited time and budget to throw at the series, I think they could do a fantastic job and do justice to the books. But as they stand now, I think the show on Amazon is good. I'd rate it higher if I had not read the books.

-A

Thank you.

RE: Amazon series, I find it amazing how the crew + fans got together and pitched the dying series concept from Scifi channel to Jeff Bezos.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by honeeagle
childhoods end
a.c.clark

+1

That's a great one.

Arthur c Clark also wrote about a space elevator(fountains of paradise ?) and first popularized the concept of geosyncronized satellites ,and never used faster the light travel in his novels
50 years ago.

-A

I'm currently on the 4th season and I think it's great! I may have to read the books. Amos doesn't get too excited, but he gets down to business in a heartbeat. Lol

I finally read Dune a couple of years ago, and was underwhelmed. The civilization in which water was in short supply and thus sacred was interesting, but I didn't find it a great read. My trusted SF-buff friend, whose opinions tend to be a good guide for me, had really liked Dune, but said that the sequels were not very good.

Around the same time I read Ringworld for the first time, and was similarly disappointed.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
childhoods end
a.c.clark

+1

That's a great one.

Arthur c Clark also wrote about a space elevator(fountains of paradise ?) and first popularized the concept of geosyncronized satellites ,and never used faster the light travel in his novels
50 years ago.
Read Childhood's End way back when, Grade 6 or 7. At that age I probably missed some of the meaning, but in my memory it was the best of Clark's SF novels. Read 2001 a couple of years later (to try to understand the movie) and found it pretty complex. Agreed on the geosynchonous satellites - he was way ahead of the curve.

Also liked Ray Bradbury back in the day, but can't read his stuff now. Closer to fantasy than SF.

Found Asimov to be a better science writer than fiction writer. Interesting concepts, but a slog to read.

Read some Phillip K **** - The Man in the High Castle, and a collection of short stories. Too "out there" for my simple brain.

I find myself going back to early Heinlein every few years. Just read Starman Jones, one of the few early ones I'd missed. It was really good. Highly recommended.

Other RAH favourites are Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Podkayne of Mars, Citizen of the Galaxy, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Farnham's Freehold, and likely a few more I'm forgetting. I never got the praise for Stranger in a Strange Land, though, and found most of his later books too weird and perverted.

Any authors besides Heinlein that you still enjoy in the Scifi realm?

Unlike you, I haven't read any of Heinlein's since I was in in high school/college so I wonder if I'd still like those books.
I suspect I would. I do remember enjoying the heck out of them.. I'll have to pick one up and read through them again.

It is interesting how you can return to an author that you once enjoyed and find the experience so different. For me that was Kurt Vonneget .
I tried re-reading his stuff in my 40s and I couldn't get through the books I once found so clever and engaging.

Another series I have enjoyed over and over again is the heechee saga by Fredrick Pohl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heechee

My sons have read through that as well and liked it. Funny thing is, I'm not sure I've ever read any of his other works. I'll have to find some of his other works.

-A

Another series I have enjoyed over and over again is the heechee saga by Fredrick Pohl.

My sons have read through that as well and liked it. Funny thing is, I'm not sure I've ever read any of his other works. I'll have to find some of his other works.

-A

I tried to edit this post but too much time had elapsed.
Turns out I read at least two of his other books. Space Merchants and The Merchants War.

They were enjoyable. One thing he nailed perfectly was the ever present, personalized and targeted advertising we now face on phones, web sites, and in life in general. It seemed over the top when I read the book in the late 80s but unfortunately has become quite accurate.

Any authors besides Heinlein that you still enjoy in the Scifi realm?

Unlike you, I haven't read any of Heinlein's since I was in in high school/college so I wonder if I'd still like those books.
I suspect I would. I do remember enjoying the heck out of them.. I'll have to pick one up and read through them again.

It is interesting how you can return to an author that you once enjoyed and find the experience so different. For me that was Kurt Vonneget .
I tried re-reading his stuff in my 40s and I couldn't get through the books I once found so clever and engaging.

-A
Amblerman, ditto on Vonnegut; I read several of his novels in Grade 12. The school librarian pretty much insisted I read them. They were probably not what I needed in my life at that time. I've had no desire to reread them.

One author I loved in my adolescence but can't read now is Ray Bradbury. I gobbled up his SF (The Martian Chronicles, The Golden Apples of the Sun, A Medicine for Melancholy, etc.) and really enjoyed Something Wicked This Way Comes when I was 15 or 16. Thought it was all great at the time. Tried to read a bunch of it a number of years later, and found I couldn't do it.

You'd asked about contemporary stuff; my son put me onto The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu a few months ago. It's very non-linear, and I found it hard to follow, but it all came together at the end, and it made sense why it was written the way it was. A linear progression would have had too many spoilers. Very clever stuff, with lots of interesting concepts. There's a bit where some of the characters are within a complex video game, and Sir Isaac Newton and the great Hungarian-American mathematician John Von Neumann work with the ancient Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang to build a human computer, using 30,000,000 soldiers. From the book:

Qui Shi Huang waved his hand and three soldiers came forward. They were all very young. Like other Qin soldiers, they moved like order-obeying machines.

"I don't know your names," Von Neumann said, tapping the shoulders of two of the soldiers. "The two of you will be responsible for signal input, so I'll call you 'Input 1' and 'Input 2'." He pointed to the last soldier. "You will be responsible for signal output, so I'll call you 'Output'." He shoved the soldiers to where he wanted them to stand. "Form a triangle. Like this. Output is the apex. Input 1 and Input 2 form the base."

"You could have just told them to stand in the Wedge Attack Formation," Qin Shi Huang said, glancing at Von Neumann contemptuously.

Newton took out six small flags; three white, three black. Von Neumann handed them out to the three soldiers so that each held a black flag and a white flag. "White represents 0; black represents 1. Good. Now, listen to me. Output, you turn around and look at Input 1 and Input 2. If they both raise black flags, you raise a black flag as well. Under all other circumstances, you will raise the white flag."

"I think you should use some other color," Qin Shi Huang said. "White means surrender."

The excited Von Neumann ignored him. He shouted orders at the three soldiers. "Begin operation! Input 1 and Input 2, you can raise whatever flag you want. Good. Raise! Good. Raise again! Raise!"

Input 1 and Input 2 raised their flags three times. The first time they were black-black, the second time white-black, and the third time black-white. Output reacted correctly each time, raising the black flag once and the white one twice.

"Very good. Your Imperial Majesty, your soldiers are very smart."

"Even an idiot would be capable of that. Tell me, what are they really doing?" Qin Shi Huang looked baffled.

"The three soldiers form a computing component. It's a type of gate, an AND gate." Von Neumann paused to let the emperor digest this information.

Qin Shi Huang said impassively, "I'm not impressed. Continue."

And it goes on ... they form an OR gate, a NAND, a NOR, XOR, an inverter, and so on. With 30M soldiers, they can make 10M 2-input logic gates.

I thought this was fascinating - and took me back a good many years to studying Boolean Algebra and logic gates and so on.

So you might enjoy that one - it was a bit of a hard read for me, but worth it.

I've read Pohl in the past - can't remember anything specifically. I'll have to check out the series you've recommended. It's time to reread Childhood's End too. We'll see how it's stood up over several decades.

But I always find myself going back to Heinlein's greatest hits - his early works are all good, and a few of his novels from the '60s (which I listed in my earlier post) are top-notch. He combines credible hard science with likeable and believable characters. Heinlein once said that he wrote for three reasons, in this order:

1. To make a living
2. To entertain the reader
3. To moralize or preach or push his own beliefs

By not letting his beliefs overrun his storytelling, he wrote a lot of very good stuff in the early years. Once he was rich and famous, he was able to write weird stuff with perverted ideas, and get it published, probably on name recognition alone. Stranger in a Strange Land, Fear No Evil, Friday ... yech! No thanks! There's probably a lesson there. (YMMV - Stranger in a Strange Land is probably Heinlein's best-known work, and a lot of people would disagree with me.)

Happy reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back