Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
How maintenance intensive is the 150hp L-twin motor on this bike? I know for 2012 they set major service interval @ 15,000 miles. The closest dealer to me for service is 90 miles away. I'm looking at this bike and at Suzuki GSX 1250FA Sport Touring. I like the Ducati more, but its about twice the price, but I do like everything about it more, however I need to know more about the motor on the 2012 model and what I would be getting myself into on upkeep expense, which I'm guessing is going to be higher than what the Suzuki will require. Main thing is are routine maintenance like oil changes DIY capable on the Ducati in between major service visits?

Oil changes are DIY, major services are best left to a qualified service department unless you comfortable making adjustment to the topend of the motor and replacing rubber belts as these are normal on most ducs. Id love a ducati in my garage, but 16,000 miles between valve adjustments on most [censored] bikes is hard to ignore, and all other service i can do myself in my own garage. the Suzuki would serve you well, be dependable, and much less expensive.. it cost to have Italian exotica !

How many miles a year do you plan on riding? If it's less than say 8k, you'd only need to have the Ducati major service done every 2 years. That's not such a big deal really. Talk to the Ducati dealer...maybe they'll throw in the first major service w/ the sale.

My advice is don't try to save a buck on a lesser bike. You only go around once: get the best one you can afford. You won't regret it.

The best choice is to try finding a leftover, but still new, 2011 Multistrada, even if you have to fly to go get it and ride it back. Euro bikes can often be had at heavy discounts if you're willing to take a leftover. In 2008 I bought a leftover 2007 Aprilia Tuono and saved a cool $4k.

Last edited:
The motor in the Multistrada is a 4 valve desmodromic water cooled L-twin and there are (2) shims (opening and closing) on each valve. The valve train is operated via (2) Kevlar? belts which require replacement every 2 years or 15,000 miles. The engine is somewhat more complex than the Suzuki and will require some finesse with valve adjustments if you plan on doing them yourself.

The oil change on the Multistrada is SIMPLE to do at home, take it to the dealer and expect to get slammed for $175+, probably the same for both bikes...

Parts can be ordered online via several dealers thus mitigating the 90 mile drive but expect 2 weeks+ for arrival, and no, the dealer is not likely going to have that odd bolt in stock. I make a small order every month on parts which I expect to replace, offseting normal "wear and tear".

Here is the kicker, the 7,500 mile service on my 696 Monster (2011, 2 valve air cooled motor) was quoted at around $1,000 in the Dallas area (oil, valves, and belts). Yours will be HIGHER, possibly MUCH HIGHER...

Ducati's are reliable motorcycles and the newer ones do not seem to require as much "TLC" as in the past but you are going to have to do your homework before biting on this. Read through the MANY Ducati forums and in particular the sub forums which cater to the Multistrada owner community to get an idea as what you are getting yourself into.

I love my Ducati but make no mistake, they do require more attention than the typical Japanese bike and are more expensive to maintain.

The Multistrada is an excellent motorcycle with electronically adjustable suspension and various engine modes, not to mention being somewhat lighter than comparable models in the class but you are going to PAY for it. The company has gradually reacted to the market given current economic conditions (switched to wet clutch, standardized parts, etc) but in my opinion, will never seriously compete with the Japanese offerings. This is not likely an issue considering their target market has the "pocket books" necessary to effect ownership.

The Suzuki will be easier to maintain and will probably cost less in the long run to own. Also, don't believe all the hype about resale value, my Ducati is likely worth only 60% of what I originally paid for it, and the bike is only a year old...

Ultimately, only you can decide what bike is right for you. The goal is riding time, not time in the garage, and not putting somebody else's kids through college. In all honesty, I love my Duc but am just calling the shots where they lay, being in the military and married, my "hobby" must compete with various other interests, but the Multistrada can be an excellent "fit" depending on your situation. I've owned several Suzuki motorcycles and the quality has always been top notch, I really don't think you can go wrong with either model. Hope this helps and your mileage will vary...

Last edited:
My dad has a new Multistrada S and loves it. He has put about 10K on it so far. His only gripes have been all the software updates to get the electronic suspension, stability control, brakes, fuelling, and dash to work properly.

It is an excellent riding bike that can be ridden all day in great comfort.

His last Ducati was one of the sport classics with the DS motor, he never had any issues and they maintenance costs did not seem particularly high. Not like ducati of past where rocker arm coatings would peel off and axles crack and electronics fail.

The ball is really in your court !! You MUST spend some time
researching both bikes AND the reputation of your local dealer
or the BEST dealer within range. Be sure you know up front what dealers charge for routine maintenance.

The good news is both bike will serve you well with proper care.
The Ducati is more $$, but it will also have more intangible
benefits and fun. Very few things sound better than a Ducati with a good pipe that is being pushed hard through the RPM range.

One slight advantage of the Suzuki might be that it would be easier to sell if you decide to get a different bike. Clean Japanese bikes are pretty "liquid" in the used bike market place. However, if the Duc is clean and runs well, I am sure
you can move it too if need be, but it may take a little more time to move it. For whatever it is worth, the bike that is very hard to sell is a Triumph. I had a heck of a time selling a
clean Triumph a couple of years ago.

I am glad I don't have to make that choice !! (chuckle....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back