In the market for a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear this Hans. What piqued my interest in the 1250 was the strong history, good price, attractiveness, and actually the lineage of the class. These things are a fairly old design and seem to be brushed off by the media for this reason. However, every single person that owns or has owned one seems to love or have loved them.

I want to look at the Honda 700. My friend that owns the Suzuki shop also has a Honda franchise in another town so I could likely get a great price on one of them if I chose that model. I plan on snooping around today.

The Suzuki dealer show is currently taking place in Orlando, FL, so I won't be able to get a price on the Honda until later in the week.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
You really oughta look at the Honda NT700. Based on your requirements, it should be ideal. I have one and love it.

Mike

That is one interesting bike. I'll have to add it to my list of potential Vulcan replacements some time next year. I was initially set on an adventure bike like Tiger 800 or Kawi Versys, but this NT700 looks like it too has a fairly upright riding position but slightly lower seat height which is a big deal for me since I'm fairly short. The NT700 is heavier though. Definitely something to consider though.

Two of the guys in our group have Kawasaki Connie 1400's and they are great machines way more high tech then the Suzuki 1250 but the Suzuki puts out just about 80 pounds of torque at 3700 rpm so it really pulls hard in any gear and saves you a lot of shifting. At 28000 miles I still had the original chain and sprockets and they looked good for another 10,000 miles, best bike I ever owned but the seat sucked.

Quote:
You really oughta look at the Honda NT700.
Introduced in Europe in 1998 as the NT650V Deauville, and upgraded in '06 to the 700, it has acquired the nickname "Dullville." Stable, reliable commuter, but not known to be especially sporty.

I just received the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News a minute ago, and they are positively gushing over the GSX1250FA.
Comparing the Suzuki to the Connie, for me, is maybe like comparing a Mustang GT to an M3.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You really oughta look at the Honda NT700. Based on your requirements, it should be ideal. I have one and love it.

Mike

That is one interesting bike. I'll have to add it to my list of potential Vulcan replacements some time next year. I was initially set on an adventure bike like Tiger 800 or Kawi Versys, but this NT700 looks like it too has a fairly upright riding position but slightly lower seat height which is a big deal for me since I'm fairly short. The NT700 is heavier though. Definitely something to consider though.

I hear ya'! I'm 5'-8" with a 32" inseam and I can only have one foot flat on the ground at a time with my NT, or both tip toe. However, the bike is balanced very very well and is easily managed. Once you begin to move the bike is very stable.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
You really oughta look at the Honda NT700.
Introduced in Europe in 1998 as the NT650V Deauville, and upgraded in '06 to the 700, it has acquired the nickname "Dullville." Stable, reliable commuter, but not known to be especially sporty.

I think that nickname is quite unfair and those who own the NT will agree. Is it as sporty as a crotch rocket? nope! Is it as good a tourer as a Gold Wing? Again nope! But it does what it does very well. 65 HP and a top speed somewhat north of 115 is hardly dull. It will cruise at 70 mph+ with two up all day long, sips fuel and is a joy to ride in the twisties.

I hear ya'! I'm 5'-8" with a 32" inseam and I can only have one foot flat on the ground at a time with my NT, or both tip toe.

OK, so I'm 5'7" and 30" inseam. Something tells me this bike will be too tall for me, unless I install a lowering kit.

I would look at the used 1250's since many owners fit givi bags/mounts to them. Suspension is the best mod anybody could do with their bike. Many good forums have a few suspension gurus that do good work on the side. I am sure the bandit people are just as passionate about the vfr, which in mods saves you a lot of money.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went out on Monday to look at the Honda and the two dealerships in my area were closed on Monday. What the heck??

My insurance agent is being a butt too. Over the past 32 years of my driving history, I've never had to do anything other than call my agent to add a vehicle. The new vehicle was simply listed to a curent vehicle binder and I'd pay the additional cost at renewal time. My insurance agent now claims I have to pay in advance for a motorcycle. I told him to just add it to my existing motorcycle binder but he claims he can only do that on "four wheeled" vehicles.

Just another hurdle to spoil a otherwise pleasureable event. Insurance is cheap on the Suzuki though at $90 every six months. I may get my bikes written through Progressive since they're about 30% cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Hans
Honda makes good bikes but the NT700 can't hold a candle to a BMW F800ST as far as power is concerned.

Yeah, and it can't hold a candle to the BMW as far as price (high) is concerned either!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I hear ya'! I'm 5'-8" with a 32" inseam and I can only have one foot flat on the ground at a time with my NT, or both tip toe.

OK, so I'm 5'7" and 30" inseam. Something tells me this bike will be too tall for me, unless I install a lowering kit.

That may be an issue. Some folks have opted to get the Sargent seat which will lower your ride height about an inch. The best thing to do is to sit on one and see how it feels.

I rode the ZX-11D from NJ to OR about 5 years ago: soft luggage, saddlebags,tailbag & tank bag. Included four 500 mile days.

The older Kawasaki big sportbikes were much less of a crotch-rocket than the newer 1000cc bikes. More room, more comfort.

If I were you I'd start looking for a good, clean, UN-MODIFIED (if possible) and lower mileage Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird (last couple years were fuel injected), a Hayabusa (after 2008, I believe), Yamaha FJR1300 or the Kawasaki ZZR-1200 (basically my ZX-11D with more go-power).

Not really easy to find one of these GOOD, CLEAN Un-Modified & lower mileage bikes, but if you find the right one...

You could be saving up to 50-60% over a new bike with less performance and less touring capability. Cheaper insurance, quite often better gas mileage, too... I get 40+ on the ZX-11D.

Cheers!

p.s. The suggestion of the new Ninja 1000 is a great one: this is a better overall motorcycle (IMHO) than the Suzuki, and will keep up with the hottest sport bikes on the street. Motorcyclist Magazine's Bike of the Year. Good luck finding a deal on one of those!

Norm, I used to own a 1998 ZX-11D. It was alright but not particularly comfortable and certainly not what I want to spend hours in the saddle of.

The Ninja 1000 is a incredibly nice bike but it's still missing the fairing, center stand and ABS.

My deal on the GSX1250FA fell through on Tuesday so I'm just waiting for a opportunity to go someplace else and get a bike.

For now I'll ride my 1979 Honda CBX. It's old but it still turns heads with those six chrome header pipes gleaming in the sun.

The weather turned cold this weekend so I have some time.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Norm, I used to own a 1998 ZX-11D. It was alright but not particularly comfortable and certainly not what I want to spend hours in the saddle of.

The Ninja 1000 is a incredibly nice bike but it's still missing the fairing, center stand and ABS.

My deal on the GSX1250FA fell through on Tuesday so I'm just waiting for a opportunity to go someplace else and get a bike.

For now I'll ride my 1979 Honda CBX. It's old but it still turns heads with those six chrome header pipes gleaming in the sun.

The weather turned cold this weekend so I have some time.

CBX. . awesome bike! I was in the Wilkes-Barre, PA area last year and went into a bike shop there--the owner was a CBX enthusiast / collector. . .he had more CBX stuff than I'd ever seen in one place. . .wish I could remember his name. . .good guy though. I'm glad to see people riding the older Hondas when so many people today just throw stuff away instead of fixing it up. . . ..

Yes, I was 15 years old when the CBX went on sale. It left a lasting impression on me. It didn't remain the 'King of Quick' for very long with the introduction of the XS-11, the GS-1100 and Kawasaki's GPZ1100 but it did become a instant classic. I spent my high school years working at a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership and one summer at the local Honda shop. That had to be the coolest high school job around.

I was at a local truck stop two weekends ago when a older gentleman pulled in for fuel. He was riding a 1983 Suzuki GS1100.. the old 'whale' looking model. His bike looked fantastic and he'd obviously done some restoration work. I chatted with him to see if he was local but he wasn't.

I have looked at the Honda 700, the Ninja 1000 and the Concours. My friend at the bike shop also recommends the Concours but it's just too big for me. I've pretty much settled on the Suzuki and I'll just have my friend order one from the warehouse. He's 8 hours away from where I live currently but it will make a nice weekend trip I guess. Motorcycles are not selling well in this economy which is why I'm surprised about my recent dealings at my local shop. But, my money will spend any place I choose so I'll just ride it out.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Yes, I was 15 years old when the CBX went on sale. It left a lasting impression on me. It didn't remain the 'King of Quick' for very long with the introduction of the XS-11, the GS-1100 and Kawasaki's GPZ1100 but it did become a instant classic. I spent my high school years working at a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership and one summer at the local Honda shop. That had to be the coolest high school job around.

I was at a local truck stop two weekends ago when a older gentleman pulled in for fuel. He was riding a 1983 Suzuki GS1100.. the old 'whale' looking model. His bike looked fantastic and he'd obviously done some restoration work. I chatted with him to see if he was local but he wasn't.

I have looked at the Honda 700, the Ninja 1000 and the Concours. My friend at the bike shop also recommends the Concours but it's just too big for me. I've pretty much settled on the Suzuki and I'll just have my friend order one from the warehouse. He's 8 hours away from where I live currently but it will make a nice weekend trip I guess. Motorcycles are not selling well in this economy which is why I'm surprised about my recent dealings at my local shop. But, my money will spend any place I choose so I'll just ride it out.

Yeah. . .I'm always surprised how cocky some local dealers can be. I try to buy local when I can because it's handy to be on good terms with the local dealer in case of warranty claims etc., but I'll admit, sometimes despite your best efforts you just can't come together on pricing.

When I bought the Connie, my local dealer's pricing was high so I just printed out the internet pricing that was being offered the next state over. . .told the sales guy, "nothing personal and I'd like to buy my bike from you guys, but I'm NOT paying more than this price. . .and yes, I will drive to NJ to do the deal--it'll be a fun ride home!". . .after that, I got a call back within an hour and was told to come over and do the paperwork. . . .I doubt they lost money on the deal.

Be sure to post some pics of your new Suzuki when you get it!!

Here's some pics of my Connie:

100_1852.JPG

100_1853.JPG

100_1854.JPG

100_1860.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back