DT Special Order tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at DT site on tires to see what's available now for one of the vehicles. I typically replace tires before worn & need replacing anyway, like em fresh.
On one of the tires (Michelin Premier) checking availability all locations listed (10-12 locations) said they are "Special Order". None of the other tires were special order for the vehicle.
So I called a DT and the tech said "yup.. special order generally takes a couple days to get them in".

So they don't carry the tires in the store, can't go there and look at them, and if I had the full hazard replacement warranty and have a tire go bad or damaged they won't have same tire in the store should I get there and need a damaged tire replaced, they won't have the tire for a couple days.

Been running the Defender on the DD, although still tread left, I usually replace tires before they are worn down and need replacing - like em fresh instead of worn near end of useful life. Thought of trying the Premier tires but now I dunno...

Maybe I'll go with Defender's again and toss the thought of trying the Premier tires.

Although I have over 65k on the Defender's and tread left, was looking to see if any Holiday sales were going on and what DT now has for the DD (maybe I was bored for the moment). Also thinking everyone out x-mas shopping and maybe DT not as busy (yeah right). Maybe I just feel like "maybe just get new tires" early and be done with it.

They also has some tire called OHTSU which is the cheapest & I'd never consider, even cheaper than DT house brand "Arizonian".
So just a little morning thought over coffee - I don't think I like the special order thing at DT, although I've never had a good tire need warranty or road hazard replacement, but ya never know, but I do know I wouldn't want to go there have a tire deemed needing replaced and then have to wait a couple days to return for a replacement. must get more coffee....

Ohtsu is made by Sumitomo, same company that makes Falken. My experience with Falken wasn't good, it would have taken THREE sets to get 65K, I would stick with the Defenders.

How much coffee have you had?
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Errtt

So they don't carry the tires in the store, can't go there and look at them, and if I had the full hazard replacement warranty and have a tire go bad or damaged they won't have same tire in the store should I get there and need a damaged tire replaced, they won't have the tire for a couple days.

The flipside is you stand a random chance of having your tire discontinued in 2-3 years when you go for a replacement anyway, or have it special order. Michelin, of course, will still be around to give you an "equivalent" but the tread pattern might not match, etc.

Too bad they can't get it overnight on a hub-run. They should have one store within an hour drive that's attached to the regional warehouse for those who want something slightly more esoteric.

Just so everyone understands:

There are literally HUNDREDS of models of tires and if you add all the tire sizes, we are talking 10's of thousands of sku's. An individual store can't stock them all - AND - even local warehouses can't deal with it.

Discount Tire has over 900 stores and more all the time. They have regional warehouses within daily delivery distance. But even then, not all the warehouses carry everything.

The way Discount Tire works this is that every store manager selects what tires he is going to stock and every warehouse manager selects what he is going to stock. Hopefully, there will be only a few instances where a customer has to wait - and hopefully, they get better at it as time goes on.

Needless to say, what a store manager in Minneapolis stocks is going to be different than what a store manager does in Orlando.

I always get my tires from DT because they are convenient, offer good service, match any price from anybody and can order any tire I want. I've never had to replace a tire on a set of 4 by itself. Does this really happen that often? Not something I worry about. I worry more about getting the right tire for my needs from a brand I trust made in a country of my preference.

Just wanted to chime in about the Ohtsu tires -- They're really quite good, they just don't last very long -- I got about 30,000 miles out of the set I had on my Prius.

They were really fantastic in the snow last winter when they were nearly new.

DT even got discontinued "reserved" tires from Michelin/BFG's 'Bammy warehouse for me, at my request.
thumbsup2.gif

It seems they themselves did not know they could do this for a customer, until I told them they could.
21.gif

A local indie dealer/installer told me about this reserve 'program' when I went looking for two discontinued BFG g Force Super Sport all season in a VERY rare size (245/50-16).
smile.gif

Best of all, despite being discontinued, their build dates were less than a year ago.
happy2.gif

The Discount tire near me will give you a similar tire as a loaner until a replacement tire can be shipped in. It is usually the cheapest tire that meets the same specs and has a similar tread, and they always put them on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back