Drying...What do YOU use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a wash, what do you use?...Synthetic or natural chamois? Cotton or microfibre towels? Silicone blades? 'Blow dry' on the road? Something else?

I've been using syn.chamois w/ a cotton towel folow-up for years. I just began using a "California Blade"...its helped reduce drying times on those early Sun. morning washes.
smile.gif

I've been using one of those silicone blades for quite a while now. Then I have my own stash of cotton towels (no longer good enough for bathroom duties as my wife puts it). I just use the towels along with microfibre ones for the bikes.

Califronia Blade, then a Microfibre cloth to soak all the places that i can't use the blade

using natural chamois will strip some wax, so try to avoid using that

Microfibre is just so good, and getting a lot cheaper these days too

NOTHING but 100% cotton terrycloth towels, man-made fabrics leave little scraches in the paint that show up in the sunlight

Originally Posted By: teaelle
Microfibre is just so good, and getting a lot cheaper these days too

I agree. I love Microfibers, but quality does vary. I get really nice one's from Groit's garage that are expensive but I've been using them for almost 4 years and they still work like day one. On the other hand, I bought a bag full of 50 of them from Costco for like $20 and they work well too. Maybe not as long, but for the price I'm happy.

A lot of the time I will get most of the water off by driving the car for a few miles first, then just wiping off what is left with a synthetic chamois, or more recently with a microfiber cloth. It saves a lot of time doing it this way, plus then I am not touching the paint as much. And I'm hoping that once I start using Meguiar's #21 Version 2.0, that there will be even less water spots on the paint after I wash the car and go for a quick drive. The new version of this stuff (as well as NXT) has hydrophobic technology, just like their Ultimate Quik Detailer has right now, and it causes water to practically jump off the paint when you drive in the rain.

First of all, I keep enough wax on it so wiping is kept to a minimum.

Then, I either use a synthetic chamois or a microfiber towel....depending on my mood (or sometimes whichever one is closer at hand...)

I've never been satisfied with using cotton towels. Maybe it is just me.

For a final rinse, take the nozzle off your hose and turn the water pressure down do that you have a smooth, gentle stream exiting the hose. Hold the hose close to the body panels and parallel to them, then give the car a final rinse. If the car is well waxed then all those millions of tight, beautiful little beads will run together and sheet off the car. You can remove maybe 90% of the standing water on the vehicle this way.

Then blot the remaining water with a waffle weave microfiber towel. Terry cloth towels actually have more "bite" than microfiber and will more easily scratch the paint. That's why we use small pieces of terry cloth to "edge polish" oxidized single stage paint when doing a restoration. The terry cloth is actually pretty aggressive and helps quite a bit with this hand work. Avoid them for drying the paint, but stick with the best quality microfiber you can afford.

Waffle weave microfiber is the only way to go IMO. I've used chamois real and fake, terry clothe towels, water blades, those drying things you buy at car shows....you name it. Nothing comes close to the performance and safety of microfiber drying towels. Worth every penny if you ask me.

I also use Waffle weave microfiber to dry. The way you rinse the car off will determine how much water remains on the car. For the final rinse remove the nozzle and flood the car from top ro bottom. The water mostly sheets off and makes drying a lot easier.

Most people here have the right idea. From my years of steady detailing, I have found the perfect drying method for myself:

Do not wash in direct sunlight. Run the water slowly from the top of the vehicle so it will sheet off your car and leave minimal water droplets. The California water blade takes care of 80% of the water, and a tagless waffle-weave microfiber towel (with hemmed edges for scratch prevention) takes care of the rest. All of this is done in five minutes to prevent waterspotting.

However, I have some pretty hard water in my area, so I go over the car with quick detailing spray anyway to remove the unseen deposits. Yes, my car is my temple.

Originally Posted By: Patman
. . . [t]he new version of this stuff (as well as NXT) has hydrophobic technology . . .

You mean it foams at the mouth and has to be shot before it bites somebody? I'd stay away from that stuff, dude.

I purchased a towel called the "AquaDry" a few weeks ago and it didn't work at all. It just smeared the water all over, leaving just as much water on the car as before I wiped it. It was under $5 so I didn't even bother wasting my time driving up to the store and back to return it, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It looked kind of like a chamois only with more of a cloth texture to it. Still haven't found a good drying technique, everything seems to smear. I've also used "The Absorber," the big orange cloth that does the same thing as the AquaDry. I'll try just using a microfiber towel next time, and see how that goes. On Sunday it should be just above freezing, so I can hopefully wash it one more time before winter.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Patman
. . . [t]he new version of this stuff (as well as NXT) has hydrophobic technology . . .

You mean it foams at the mouth and has to be shot before it bites somebody? I'd stay away from that stuff, dude.

Nah, hydrophobic means water fearing.
smile.gif

Blade + Absorber,

Patman, do you still have your vette? I find that driving mine dry with the flat rear end collects too much dust (though I do use this method on occasion)

Mike
+1 for the smooth gentle stream of water

After power rinsing, I run a hose over the car, then blade the flat areas, then use the absorber to finish the curves and door jambs, etc.

Originally Posted By: ssj4

Patman, do you still have your vette? I find that driving mine dry with the flat rear end collects too much dust (though I do use this method on occasion)

Yep, I'll never sell my Vette!

I do find that the rear collects a lot of dust over the course of an entire day, but it won't collect very much at all in the quick drive that I take to blow off the excess water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back