Drum Brake Service

Wow I have never seen brake shoes crack I guess because of the age and mileage they did it. I have done plenty of drum brakes especially since my 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle has 4 wheel drum brakes and my truck and my 2008 escape has rear ones too, my dads van and Jeep all have rear drums and then my sisters car does too and my moms have all four pad and rotor and our 2004 Camry that just bit the dust has 4 wheel disk brakes. At work I don’t usually do brakes but I do occasionally the only things we still see drums on are the Tacoma’s.

OP: yes in PA inspection mechanics are required to pull the drum off and measure brake shoe thickness. They also SHOULD measure the diameter of the drum as well. Your photos are great and great write up sir 🍻🇺🇸👍

Working on these at the moment, off a Brush Bandit chipper. This is the left side, drawbar to the left. We don't know what they are off, there is severe damage on the other side, and replacement parts expensive. Apart from the obvious design faults, we think it is going to be cheaper to make a new axle with brakes that work and we can get parts for in NZ.

IMG_20200909_100336.jpg

Were you able to find wheel cylinders and brake shoes that weren’t made in China or India?

I tracked down the Raybestos/Napa ones that in the photos had USA inscribed in the cast iron. So I bought those. The ones I got didn’t have USA inscribed... I don’t recall if the box had COO either I bought them from Rockauto so I put them in. We will see how they work out...

Back