Dropping from a 60 Grade to a 20 Grade Oil Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
not a nascar guy but the power output is quite impressive!! its said Greg Anderson a successful NHRA pro stocker operating down south learned a lot from nascar like bolting almost everything on the block before boring + honing to get the roundest finished bores! like high end performance cars $$$$$ allows a lot of technology + the BEST built + finished parts!!

There was someone here a few years back that ran a 20W50 spec car on a 5W20 and ended up destroying the engine.
In Alaska in January ... or smashing the gas pedal to the floor right after a cold start-up? I'd like to see that thread.

Haha man it was so long ago, I cant remember exactly, but it was here in the continental US somewhere.
When I was young and dumb at 16, I ran 20W-50 in my 65 Ford with a 289 V8 (first car). It had a manual choke, and I'd start that thing up at below zero and it would barely crank over. Once started I'd fast idle it with the manual choke to about 2000 RPM. It probably wasn't great or ideal for it, but did that for 3 winters and it never blew-up. Still ran fine when I sold it.

When I was young and dumb at 16, I ran 20W-50 in my 65 Ford with a 289 V8 (first car). It had a manual choke, and I'd start that thing up at below zero and it would barely crank over. Once started I'd fast idle it with the manual choke to about 2000 RPM. It probably wasn't great or ideal for it, but did that for 3 winters and it never blew-up. Still ran fine when I sold it.
I remember the carbed cars of the early 1980s would sometimes never want to start on the coldest days of the winter.

More interesting is that Formula 1 cars run thin oils and the engines must be used (and be able to win) 3 or 4 races without being touched, no rebuilds. Oh and no refueling during a race.
Last year, Indycar engines were required to go 2500 miles before being rebuilt.

NHRA 500ci na pro stock engines run 0w oil. They chill down the engine before runs. They make about 3 hp/ci. 10,500 rpm rev limiter. High octane racing gasoline. A few seconds after start up(cold engine, etc) they do a 8000+ rpm burnout.

Just Sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back