Drop-in Bedliner vs Line-X Premium

2020 Ram Bighorn 5'7" bed.

Mopar drop-in bedliner ($274 + tax) vs. Line-X Premium ($680).

Truck use will be Home Depot runs and perhaps an occasional trip to the dump or junkyard. No concerns of rust in this area.

Is Line-X worth more than 2x the cost?

I have Line-X Premium and it's great. I prefer spray in bedliners because I think they look better and they don't trap dirt/moisture.

One thing to note is that Line-X prices are set by the installer so it's worth it to call around. I called all of the shops within an hour of me (a half dozen) and the price for Line-X premium varied between $550 - $800. I ended up paying $584 after tax.

Originally Posted by glock19
I have Line-X Premium and it's great. I prefer spray in bedliners because I think they look better and they don't trap dirt/moisture.

One thing to note is that Line-X prices are set by the installer so it's worth it to call around. I called all of the shops within an hour of me (a half dozen) and the price for Line-X premium varied between $550 - $800. I ended up paying $584 after tax.

^^^ this ^^^ The spray-in liners are better from the aspect they do not move and chafe the bed typically resulting in rust developing under the liner. Definitely shop around; here in Houston I have seen differences of $300 between shops. I have had both Rhino and Line-X and I like the Rhino because it is a little softer and so things do not slide as easily in the bad.

I have both the factory Mopar spray in on one truck, the plastic Mopar in the other truck.

I prefer the plastic. Easier to clean, easier when you have to slide something in/out.

Just personal preference.

I'd get the plastic one.. if you still have the truck in 5years check under the bedliner if its starting to rust have it sprayed then.

I'd go plastic.
If you negotiate well, you might be able to get one "Thrown in" the deal at no additional charge.

Go with the Line-X.
I have had all the types of truck beds.
Best to me is composit followed by a spay in.
Plastic bed liners are a lot cheaper for a reason.
But every spray in I have had I did gouge them.

Both.

Just a plastic bed liner , will move and rub and rub through some paint, it will also hold water and rust. The spray will seal and hold up, but can be gouged. Id see if they will throw in the bed liner in the truck deal. Then i would go get it line-x sprayed. Then set the cheap bed liner in.

I've had good luck with plastic liners. Doing stuff like chucking firewood in, the plastic takes the hit while the rhino lining gets "micro-dents" as the metal underneath is all that holds its shape.

I've seen 15 year old beds just after the plastic liner's been taken out... they get a little paint chafing but are way better than the ones that had nothing.

I got the spray in liner because the first truck had a plastic liner and everything would slide around. If I had firewood in the bed it would slam the tailgate everytime I accelerated and gas cans would slide around unless I tied them to a cleat. I did put a rubber bed mat on the spray in for when I haul gravel or dirt so the shovels dont gouge the liner.

Back in '02 I went through this same dilemma, spray, plastic, nothing, rubber mat . . . There are pro's and con's to each, as everyone above has stated.

I decided on the rubber mat because it would protect the bed and not look like garbage in just a few years. The rubber mat was the cheapest solution with the most impact protection. It could be cleaned to look brand new and kept things from sliding just as good as a sprayed liner.

Spray liners gouge and fade, they become chalky as the sun gets to them. They're fairly expensive.

Plastic liners look and feel cheap and while they do provide impact protection, they are useless against keeping things from sliding around, which for me is a big deal. Then there is the paint chafing thing.

Nothing at all, beat up the bed, don't worry about it, when you're ready to sell it, then either toss in a mat or have it sprayed to make it pretty. Selling the vehicle yourself, you will be able to recoup the cost of a sprayed liner. Trading it in, you will get what you get, the liner won't add any value.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Both.

Just a plastic bed liner , will move and rub and rub through some paint, it will also hold water and rust. The spray will seal and hold up, but can be gouged. Id see if they will throw in the bed liner in the truck deal. Then i would go get it line-x sprayed. Then set the cheap bed liner in.

Is Line-X the same/similar to Rhino Lining?

Anywaaaay! I like the idea of having a THICK spray-in bed liner along with a cheap drop-in bed liner set on top. As spasm3 says, negotiate for the dealers drop-in and then later, shop around for the spray-in stuff or look for a used(ebay, craigslist) drop-in liner on the cheap that fits your exact size bed if the dealer won't negotiate.

Last edited:
A sheet of plywood in the box works for me.

To do my entire crew cab truck in Line-X or Rhino is $5000 Canuck bucks. The truck is black now. but I can make it any colour I want.

There is a Taco running around town done in desert sand and a lifted Ram in grandmother's suitcase green.

$5K Ca sounds like a rip off to me but, what do I know.
I had a co-worker who bought a new F-150 in deep maroon and had the Rhino Liner the same color as the truck.

Back