DRL's and Automatic Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
VWs are easy it is ether bending one pin, so there is no contact, or removing fuse. My yota I think is 2 fuses, but not 100% sure.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not really, by your own admission you run around sometimes with the lights off for a time before realizing it.

The problem I have between the Subaru and the Chevy isn't that the one has automatic lights and the other doesn't, it's that the Subaru's gauges are always lit. That's why I don't realize that only the DRLs (which, btw, are just dimmed low-beams) are on.

Still, I don't think it would be a completely bad idea to have automatic lights mandated. I've seen enough people driving without lights in the rain and at dusk (and even at night once!) that I have to believe it would be better for safety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: semaj281
Originally Posted By: mike7139
After all these years why is it that some cars don't come equipped with drl's and automatic headlights? I can't tell you how many times I have seen cars driving around at dusk without the proper illumination. I think this is a safety issue as well.

Its nice to be able to put the key in the ignition and have the headlights turn on a night automatically and vice versa when the car is turned off.

I personally think such features are useless. I always override the DRL feature if I can, to prevent premature bulb wear/lens hazing.
As for the automatic headlamps, I control it manually especially on cars with HID bulbs. Having them automatically turn on while going through an underpass only to have them cut off 2-3 seconds later cannot be good for the bulbs.

KISS: "keep it simple, stupid"

Definitely agree with that one! I have HID`s, and I dont have them on auto either. Like you mentioned, makes no sense to start up the car in the morning (in the garage) and have them on,and shut off 2min after leaving the garage.

http://lightsout.org/

Coworker's 03 Vibe (first model year) had the backlit dash/ auto headlight combo. But the thing was too picky and would flash the lights going under a bridge. This is dangerous when an 18 wheeler is passing you!

Fix was unplugging the light sensor. Conveniently, the connector was behind a dash bezel that just yanked out.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

My car is 10 years old with HID and auto lights. The bulbs still burn bright. And aftermarket bulbs are cheap enough that replacement cost isn't a huge issue.

That's good to know. I guess it's just a control issue for me. It's the same reason why I prefer manual transmissions to autos. If I'm driving, I want to be the one in charge of the controls; the car should not be driving me.

Good for you people that know when to turn your lights on. Unfortunately most people are to dumb, or to occupied with other things to know.

IMO, auto lights should be standard on all vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Good for you people that know when to turn your lights on. Unfortunately most people are to dumb, or to occupied with other things to know.

IMO, auto lights should be standard on all vehicles.

Unless all vehicles have DRL or auto on lighting and old cars are mandated to be retrofitted it may actually be more dangerous for the very reason you point out.
IMO mandating such a thing is something we just do need big brother doing, IMO they have done far to much mandating recently as it is.

All this rhetoric about mandating automatic headlights is a bit ridiculous don't you think? When we took our driver's license tests, one of the requirements was knowing how and when to work the lights and turn signals. It is the responsibility of the individual to make good judgments.
If fast food chains and poor dieting are direct causes of heart disease and cancer, should we regulate people's diets too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Now with constantly illuminated gauges, there is no need to turn on the lights, I bet a lot of people think they have automatic lights since their gauges are always illuminated and their head lights are on.

Very true. This is exactly what happened a lot to my wife when she started driving RAV4 with illuminated gauges. I went ahead and bought auto headlights kit on Amazon. $20 IIRC, money well spent.

I'm a big fan of DRLs and never had a problem with bulbs burning prematurely. They are only run at 50% voltage in typical DRL setting, and can last forever at that low power. The only problem with the DRLs is increased fuel use. Small but measurable difference. For that reason, no factory DRL in US version of Prius.

If fast food chains and poor dieting are direct causes of heart disease and cancer, should we regulate people's diets too?

Actually we are doing it already. Trans-fats have been banned in those outfits because people kept going to them even though everyone knew trans-fats were very harmful.

Unfortunately, people are generally too dumb to be trusted about their judgments.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Actually we are doing it already. Trans-fats have been banned in those outfits because people kept going to them even though everyone knew trans-fats were very harmful.

Unfortunately, people are generally too dumb to be trusted about their judgments.

I've read about this as well. It seems foods can be considered free of trans-fat as long as it contains less than .5gram of partially hydrogenated oils. So in essence they've created a loophole for the 0 trans-fat requirement.
I guess I'll find loopholes of my own if the auto-headlamp feature actually becomes a requirement-time to bend fuses and sabotage electronics.

But I see your point. We are concerned about the individual decisions that people make, even though it's their responsibility to take the consequences in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

My car is 10 years old with HID and auto lights. The bulbs still burn bright. And aftermarket bulbs are cheap enough that replacement cost isn't a huge issue.

That's good to know. I guess it's just a control issue for me. It's the same reason why I prefer manual transmissions to autos. If I'm driving, I want to be the one in charge of the controls; the car should not be driving me.

Yeah, but the ballast/igniters are expensive as ever.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
After all these years why is it that some cars don't come equipped with drl's and automatic headlights? I can't tell you how many times I have seen cars driving around at dusk without the proper illumination. I think this is a safety issue as well.

Its nice to be able to put the key in the ignition and have the headlights turn on a night automatically and vice versa when the car is turned off.

My accord has automatic headlights, I disabled that function. I rather control when my lights go on and off.

It is the responsibility of the individual to make good judgments.

If this were happening, I'd be in total agreement. Unfortunately it's not, with MANY things...

Quote:
All this rhetoric about mandating automatic headlights is a bit ridiculous don't you think?

I am the last person that believes the government should be mandating everything. I made a mistake.. it should have read,
we just don't need big brother doing. Thanks for catching that.
Quote:
IMO mandating such a thing is something we just do need big brother doing, IMO they have done far to much mandating recently as it is.

I can't help but wonder that people who demand control on their own lights are the idiots I see with them not on in a rain storm or at dusk.

Not singling anyone out here but when you see 50 cars on the road with their lights on but one without. C'mon are you really that oblivious? Ya you are an idiot.

My biggest pet peeve is people who are sitting there in a parking lot. Not driving, just leaving the car running w/ their headlights on blaring into traffic. Especially one intersection near me that the cars sit at my roof level to the road. That is what your dam parking lights are for! You pull in, turn the switch once. You do not need to leave your lights on for no reason blinding traffic & peds.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

My biggest pet peeve is people who are sitting there in a parking lot. Not driving, just leaving the car running w/ their headlights on blaring into traffic. Especially one intersection near me that the cars sit at my roof level to the road. That is what your dam parking lights are for! You pull in, turn the switch once. You do not need to leave your lights on for no reason blinding traffic & peds.

This doesn't bother me as much as the "tuners" who decide to install HID systems into a car with reflector housings.

My saturn has the daytime running side marker lights in the front. They have lasted 6 years on the same set of bulbs. I get a 10 dollar discount on insurance because they are daytime running.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

DRLs are required up here. At least Nissan/Infiniti has some smarts about how to implement them. The G has HIDs, but the DRL is a normal halogen bulb. The HIDs only come on when you actually want to turn your headlights on.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: lexus114

DRLs are required up here. At least Nissan/Infiniti has some smarts about how to implement them. The G has HIDs, but the DRL is a normal halogen bulb. The HIDs only come on when you actually want to turn your headlights on.

Yup, mine is the same way. I responded to his comment believing he turns on his hid lights all the time manually. I may have miss interpret what he wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back