Driving Style/Gas Mileage 5w30 vs 5w20 or 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question...

even though my Focus spec's 5w20 I've been using 5w30 just so I don't have to buy two different oils for my cars. Would I get a noticeable increase in gas mileage in the Focus if I went to 5w20 or even 0w20 since I drive short distances to/from work?(5mi one way, averaging 26mpg mostly city)

I'm guessing the increase won't be that noticeable..
wink.gif

My commute is relatively short, too. My mileage, for the tanks that are mostly all city, have been pretty consistent, and depend more-so on my style of driving than the oil I'm using.

When we drive my wifes focus that is what why get city driving. You guessed right driving style will affect your gas mileage more than any PCMO.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree with Mechtech2, for mostly short distance drives xW20 is better in every way.

Except, as the OP stated, for the purpose of convenience (and price.) If my goal was to stock up on one oil for all of my cars, I'd have no qualms about going a little heavier. I could have used 0W-20 in my fiancee's Civic last winter, but a change using G-Oil for $4.80 was too hard to pass up.

The thinner oil warms up faster than thicker oil, at the end of 5 miles drive the xW20 temp may be at 160-170F and xW30 may be 10-20F cooler. You want oil temp at or near 180-190 for optimal protection and fuel economy.

Ive tried 5W-30, 0W-30, 0W-40 and am currently running 0W-20 in my Lexus V8. Yes, the mileage diferentes are small from one grade to the next but are definitely there. With the 0W-20 the engines revs faster and feels more potent. Also, the mileage has improved a good amount over the 0W-40. I intend to run 0W-20 from now on.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree with Mechtech2, for mostly short distance drives xW20 is better in every way.

Right, and the most fuel efficient 0W-20 oil at a reasonable price is the Toyota 0W-20. I'd suggest the OP try that at least once and then decide if it's worth it.

If you're only driving the car five miles to and five miles from work, I think that there would be a difference in fuel consumption with a 0W-20 versus a 5W-30.
You'd have to be really anal about tracking fuel consumption to see it, but it will be there.
Probably enough over a typical OCI that you'd actually be money ahead using a 0W-20 over a cheaper 5W-30.
Is the Toy not back-speced to a twenty grade oil?

Yep, pretty much like this:

5 mi to work in the am
5 mi to home for lunch
5 mi back to work
5 mi back home
+ extra trips around town, a couple times a week
+ long trips - 1 or 2 long highway drives a month 20+miles

I'd try the Toyota 0w20 if I can find a good price on it.

Where in CA are you ? If you're around LA area, Longo Toyota has 0W20 on sale about once a month for $5/qt with coupon in Penny Savers weekly.

I'm about 70mi north of LA but could combine a stop at Longo with another trip I usually make. I'll have to look for the coupon in the Pennysaver. Also, I might take the 4 jugs of QSUD back to WM and exchange for 5w20 or 0w20.. we'll see.

If you were in upstate New York or Minnesota in winter, then definitely 5w20/0w20 for those short trips. Since you're in temperate California, 5w20/0w20 vs 5w30 won't make any difference at all in terms of measurable fuel economy or engine longevity. The 5w30 is fine.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Since you're in temperate California, 5w20/0w20 vs 5w30 won't make any difference at all in terms of measurable fuel economy or engine longevity. The 5w30 is fine.

The short commute favours running as light an oil as possible plus the fact that Ford spec's 5W-20 for the engine, so how is a 5W-30 fine?
The only valid question is whether to run a cheap 5W-20 dino or a somewhat more expensive high VI 0W-20 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The short commute favours running as light an oil as possible plus the fact that Ford spec's 5W-20 for the engine, so how is a 5W-30 fine?

Because there really isn't that much viscosity difference/benefit between 5w30 and 5w20 in mild climates. Ford spec's 5w20 oil to eek out a few tenths on CAFE averages. The OP was looking to stock only one grade for his fleet, so in this case 5w30 is -fine-.

If 5w20 is the end-all godsend of engine oil, why does Ford use 5w30 in their line of Ecoboost engines that were developed with maximum fuel economy in mind? (Short answer....because 5w20 isn't robust enough for demanding turbo-charged engines)

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

Because there really isn't that much viscosity difference/benefit between 5w30 and 5w20 in mild climates. Ford spec's 5w20 oil to eek out a few tenths on CAFE averages. The OP was looking to stock only one grade for his fleet, so in this case 5w30 is -fine-.

If 5w20 is the end-all godsend of engine oil, why does Ford use 5w30 in their line of Ecoboost engines that were developed with maximum fuel economy in mind? (Short answer....because 5w20 isn't robust enough for demanding turbo-charged engines)

First, the spec' oil for both vehicles is a 20wt.
Toyota has back spec'd their 0W-20 for use in the 2004 Highlander.
Secondly, there is no turbo engine here so why are you changing the subject?

First, the spec' oil for both vehicles is a 20wt.
Toyota has back spec'd their 0W-20 for use in the 2004 Highlander.
Secondly, there is no turbo engine here so why are you changing the subject?

My posts were self-explanatory. In the "real world" (and not some minutiae-obsessed internet ramblings) It doesn't really matter in terms of fuel economy and engine longevity between 5w20 and 5w30. Use either with confidence. We're not talking about running 15w40 or 20w50 oil. Geeze, time for less posting and more driving.

Actually, in the real world, many of us have seen an improvement in MPG going down a grade. This may be accentuated by a bigger engine vs a 4 cylinder but, in my V8, I have seen some very good gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back