driveworks filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I already know the answer, but are these any good? I got my sales flyer in the mail today from AA and it had a coupon for a jug of Havoline and a driveworks filter for 16.99, thought it wasn't to bad of a deal if the filter isn't junk. Who makes them?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
They are Purolator Classic filters made in China instead of USA

They aren't actually purolators, though. They are a clone.

The DW cannister filters (where you can see the media) that I've looked at seem well made with even pleats....if the regular (cans) are as good, I wouldn't hesitate to use them....for a short (5K or less) OCI...

Driveworks filters are neither Purolators nor are they Purolator clones. They utilize the same numbering system, and similar construction.
Purolator is owned by a 50/50 partnership between Mann and Bosch. Mann has a few subsidiaries in China and Korea that produce oil filters. The Driveworks filters probably come out of a Mann owned manufacturing operation in China.
They are a well made, sturdy filter that will endure for an entire OEM interval.

Originally Posted By: salv
oh, and the flyer I read has Havoline at 18.99 for 5 quarts with a Driveworks filter.

The mail out flyer has a coupon for it for another $2 off, at $16.99.

Driveworks seem reasonably well made but efficiency is a big unknown. A Fram rep that pops in here once in a while suggested they tested efficiency on DW at about 80%, but obviously they could have ulterior motives there.
laugh.gif

See above I like the comment left that said "a filter is something you do not want to buy just for price. Oil can screw up y
grin.gif
our engine a bit a bad filter bye bye motor in about 5 min.
Driveworks filters are neither Purolators nor are they Purolator clones. They utilize the same numbering system, and similar construction.
Purolator is owned by a 50/50 partnership between Mann and Bosch. Mann has a few subsidiaries in China and Korea that produce oil filters. The Driveworks filters probably come out of a Mann owned manufacturing operation in China.
They are a well made, sturdy filter that will endure for an entire OEM interval.

One person's negative experience is an anomaly, and is not representative of the filter's quality. I would tend to believe that the poster in the link you provided ottotheclown, had over-tightened his filter and damaged it.
I had a customer that changed his own oil in his brand new vehicle at 4500 miles. He had been changing his own oil for 30 years. He double gasketed the new filter, lost all of his oil while driving, and blew the motor on his vehicle. The manufacturer declined to help with the cost of the repair. He spent $5000 to put a remanufactured motor in a brand new car. Can't blame the filter.

If you read the article you will see the filter was at fault not he person putting it in. Makes no sense to me to play around with a part that is going to wreck your engine. that is just me choose what you want.
One person's negative experience is an anomaly, and is not representative of the filter's quality. I would tend to believe that the poster in the link you provided ottotheclown, had over-tightened his filter and damaged it.
I had a customer that changed his own oil in his brand new vehicle at 4500 miles. He had been changing his own oil for 30 years. He double gasketed the new filter, lost all of his oil while driving, and blew the motor on his vehicle. The manufacturer declined to help with the cost of the repair. He spent $5000 to put a remanufactured motor in a brand new car. Can't blame the filter.

Nothing about that post demonstrates a clear failure of the filter vs an improper installation of the filter. Yes a weld can break if the filter is overtightened. It is an incredible reach to say that the DW filter is of poor quality because one guy had a bad experience and put it up on a forum. There are many more posts of filter failures on major brands.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
They are Purolator Classic filters made in China instead of USA

They aren't actually purolators, though. They are a clone.

Agree the DW is not a Purolator, and imo it doesn't look all that much like a Classic or any other Purolator. To me looks more like a Donaldson without synthetic media. The only Puro similarity is the DW uses an abbreviated version of the Puro numbering system, last four numbers.

As has been posted here, they 'appear' to be a decently made filter. They have no 'authoritative' efficiency rating. And, many filters sizes like the 7317/14610 size only come in the smaller size, in this case the shorty 14612->4612.

Not at mine, Advance Auto is the only place that sells it any where close to me. walmarts around here stopped selling it years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back