Drivetrain Failure under Waranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know who actually has had a drivetrain related lubrication failure during the warranty period.
With all the hoopla about following dealer/manufatures service intervals to the T, I wonder if anyone has had any issues.
While we are here why not give us some failures after the warranty too. following the OEM service intervals?
there has to be some stories out there, is anyone brave enough to post up actual experiences?

None here. Cars today are lasting longer than most people care to keep them using any API SM/ILSAC GF4 oils. In fact I was talking to a friend today about how reliable and maintenance free most cars are.

Look back through the board.

There are actual stories and one denial due to NOT following the manual for OCI. (Ford denied a engine due to going over the OCI in the manual)

Do NOT make it into a sales pitch for the oil you sell. No one falls for it anyway.

Does a headgasket count? it's part of the engine and under the drivetrain warranty. if so, yep, 03 Sentra 1.8L, headgasket failed twice. Cooling system was maintained.

My brother in law's 2007 Dodge ram 2500 CTD had an automatic transmission failure at around 55k miles. He had changed the fluid at 35k miles.

This truck never ever pulled a trailer or was chipped. He just drove it from one oil-well lease to another. New transmission under warranty.

I did. 1978 Chevy Nova V8. Tranny self destructed with only 8000 miles. GM fixed it with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

There are actual stories and one denial due to NOT following the manual for OCI. (Ford denied a engine due to going over the OCI in the manual)

Do NOT make it into a sales pitch for the oil you sell. No one falls for it anyway.

Bill I know you love me!
spankme2.gif

I have a lady friend with a Hemi Dodge truck post warranty that had engine failure. Using AMSOIL!
She called me broke down on the road 65 miles away, and said a local shop will look to see what it is.
Next morning she calls me again, shop claims complete engine failure, new engine needed. reason? I wrote on the coolant tank date and milage wich was year and 6 months and 30,000 miles ago since last oil change.
Amsoil of course
happy2.gif

Shop tech scolded the attractive woman for going so long with out oil change.
She talked with me and had the trucked towed to my place so I could investigate the cause.
I determined the engine was Ok but had valvetrain issue.
Towed to a close friends shop and found a broken valve spring and a bent valve. $500 later my nice lady friend drove away with a working truck 2 days later.
If I had used mineral oil following the manual for OCI, this would of never happened!
18.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I did. 1978 Chevy Nova V8. Tranny self destructed with only 8000 miles. GM fixed it with no problems.

That brings back memories. My dad had a '75 Nova with the 350 4bbl. It was pretty fast (for the time). He replaced it with '77 Caprice Classic with the 350 4bbl and a 4.10 rear end. We towed a 32' airstream trailer with it. No problems on the TH350 even with a ton of towing. It was working perfectly when he traded that one in at 130k miles.

Originally Posted By: lazaro

Bill I know you love me!
spankme2.gif

I have a lady friend with a Hemi Dodge truck post warranty that had engine failure. Using AMSOIL!
She called me broke down on the road 65 miles away, and said a local shop will look to see what it is.
Next morning she calls me again, shop claims complete engine failure, new engine needed. reason? I wrote on the coolant tank date and milage wich was year and 6 months and 30,000 miles ago since last oil change.
Amsoil of course
happy2.gif

She talked with me and had the trucked towed to my place so I could investigate the cause.
Towed to a close friends shop and found a broken valve spring and a bent valve. $500 later my nice lady friend drove away with a working truck 2 days later.
If I had used mineral oil following the manual for OCI, this would of never happened!
18.gif

I guess I'm getting old because I do not understand your point here. The valve spring broke causing a bent valve. Could have happened with any oil.

This topic should have been about the dealer not finding the problem Vs just telling her she needed a new engine. Am I missing something?

I would like to know who actually has had a drivetrain related lubrication failure during the warranty period.

It wasn't me, but my cousin had a Chevy Vega during the final years that they were being manufactured. If I remember right, Chevy upped the warranty on the engines to 50K instead of the 36K, probably to calm some fears on those problematic engines.
Anyway, the engine was smoking BAD and I believe the odometer was at 49,985 miles when my uncle decided to take it into the Chevy dealer for warranty work.
He was ready to crawl underneath he car and unhook the speedometer cable if it was going to flip 50K, but made it there with about 5 miles to spare. The dealer may have been lenient, but he wasn't taking any chances.
My cousin got her new engine under warranty.

My coworker's Ford Windstar automatic transmission has died 2 or 3 times so far. It's a common problem with it. It's simply a POS tranny. I didn't ask him for his service history but I'm sure he at least followed the maintenance requirements.

I recently had a front transfer case seal leak and repaired under warranty on my 07' Nissan X-Terra w/15,000 miles. Does that count? Naw, didn't think so.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Bill I know you love me!
spankme2.gif

Amsoil of course
happy2.gif

18.gif

I guess I'm getting old because I do not understand your point here. The valve spring broke causing a bent valve. Could have happened with any oil.

This topic should have been about the dealer not finding the problem Vs just telling her she needed a new engine. Am I missing something?

your still young! I am just a lil sarcastic sometimes, you know plenty of haters will find any reason to blame the oil on any type of failure.

Friend's dad's 2006/2007 Hemi Ram had that variable cylinder thing go out supposedly due to him having the oil changed with Pennzoil every 3 or 5K, whichever one he does. Dealership "had to" replace that sensor and the complete head assemblies.

Had an 88 full size Chevy pickup with the 305 engine. At 12,100 miles, the block cracked while on a trip. After getting it to a local Chevy dealer, they showed me a pile of about 50 blocks from the 88 trucks that they had pulled, all with cracks. They told me (and I simply repeat what they said) that in the new body style trucks, they had pulled some of the casting reinforcements from the block. This caused cracking either on #3 or #8 cylinder or both. Mine cracked on #3. Had to pay $100 as they said it was over 12,000 miles. Buit they put in a new block and crank.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Had an 88 full size Chevy pickup with the 305 engine. At 12,100 miles, the block cracked while on a trip. After getting it to a local Chevy dealer, they showed me a pile of about 50 blocks from the 88 trucks that they had pulled, all with cracks. They told me (and I simply repeat what they said) that in the new body style trucks, they had pulled some of the casting reinforcements from the block. This caused cracking either on #3 or #8 cylinder or both. Mine cracked on #3. Had to pay $100 as they said it was over 12,000 miles. Buit they put in a new block and crank.

Is that the infamous echo in mexico casting block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back