Drivers with dangling arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every now and then I will see a car pass by with the drivers arm dangling out the window, draped down the door. Any BITOG'ers do this?

When I was a kid we had a family friend missing his left arm. He had his arm out the window when he was side swiped and it took his arm off. My grandfather never let us hang any body part out of the windows because of this. I don't let my kids stick their arms out either.

I never dangle my arm completely out of the window, but I definitely will have my elbow out, resting on the door with the window down.

Hand surfing for the win.

I'm sure hanging your arm out the window is terribly dangerous [massive sarcasm intended]. Then again on a motorcycle your whole body is basically out the window.

Last edited:
Never do. Kinda' hard with a manual trans.
grin.gif

I'm a yes. Not hanging down the body of the car, because of lack of comfort not safety, but resting on the door panel sure.

In my pickup I usually am holding a smoke so its by the window. My work truck is a non smoking truck so I usually hold on to the huge mirror bracket which technically the box sticks out farther so my hand is protected from the side. And the wifes car is a non smoking car so my hand is on the steering wheel. But I love to have my window wide open even in the winter with my heat blasting. I like the air movement. My Boss/friend hates it, He drives with his window up all the time. I dont think it has ever been down.

Yes. And I have a stick shift! It's not like I'm handcuffed to the mirror. I don't have the confidence to do it on the interstate with traffic though. Even passing cars turning left I haul it in subconsciously.

When I'm driving the truck I do, but not in the cars, generally. I got in the habit from smoking cigarettes. While I quit smoking, I never stopped liking the window being down and my hand in the breeze.

If I do that I cant hold my beer, its just an invitation for the cops.
04.gif

Seriously what bothers me is passengers with there bare feet up on the windshield, wait till that air bag goes off.

Speaking of air bags. Don't hold items in your mouth, you may just eat them the hard way.

As for manual shifting, I thought that was what 2nd gear was for (in the days of 3 speed trannies, now it would be third gear), you just keep it in second, steer with your left knee, hold a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Speaking of air bags. Don't hold items in your mouth, you may just eat them the hard way.

As for manual shifting, I thought that was what 2nd gear was for (in the days of 3 speed trannies, now it would be third gear), you just keep it in second, steer with your left knee, hold a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

You win.

Occasionally. I drive with the windows down most of the time these days. Usually it's just elbow and arm on top of the door. Somtimes drape but not usually. Sometims gripping the upper section of door.

Ahh hand surfing I remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back