Drivers Choice 10w-30 oil @ Dollar Tree- thoughts?

Messages
1,966
Location
Muncie, Indiana
Would it at least be OK to throw in a mower, gotta say a pint size bottle is awfully convenient in that application. Also great for an oil burner, although I can get quarts of conventional from Menards for $2 here.
 
Messages
11,750
Location
USA
There is nothing wrong with it smile Dollar Tree 10w30 meets SN-RC standards, and the cute little 16 oz bottle is perfect for lawn mower/small engine use. It is probably made by Pemex
Originally Posted by blufeb95
It's made by, " LUBRICANTES DE AMERICA SA DE CV" out of Mexico, whoever that is. [Linked Image]
Most likely a Pemex subsidiary
 
Messages
10,001
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Follow the Beatles' lead. Let it be.
It is API "SN" rated - - there's nothing to fear, here......
 
Messages
5,355
Location
Paramount, California
A 10W-30 made in Mexico? It is guaranteed to be a Group I dino oil. I wouldn't buy it. Mexico is known for its Group I dino oils. Conventional Group II oil is still too expensive there. If it was a 5W-30, it would have to be Group II+, but since it is 10W-30, it is more than likely Group I, as you can satisfy the CCS/Noack with it. If you want a 10W-30, buy a US-made Group II/II+ conventional oil. Dollar stores sell brand-name US-made conventional Group II/II+ oils for $2.99.
 
Messages
654
Location
Kuala Lumpur ,Malaysia
Originally Posted by Gokhan
A 10W-30 made in Mexico? It is guaranteed to be a Group I dino oil. I wouldn't buy it. Mexico is known for its Group I dino oils. Conventional Group II oil is still too expensive there. If it was a 5W-30, it would have to be Group II+, but since it is 10W-30, it is more than likely Group I, as you can satisfy the CCS/Noack with it. If you want a 10W-30, buy a US-made Group II/II+ conventional oil. Dollar stores sell brand-name US-made conventional Group II/II+ oils for $2.99.
And here I thought only 3rd worlders are cheap.
 
Messages
13,380
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
The PQIA has some of this in their testing and it show to be OK! smirk My BIL uses it now & again in his S-10. The price is the equivalent to $2/qt. We can often find highly regarded popular oils on closeout at better prices. But in a pinch it's probably OK. IMO, it's perfect for OPE.
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,346
Location
WA
Few days ago Kirkland plus 0W20 and 5W30 box were $20 or $21 at Costco. they were $3 off regular price. That's about $2 /qt. they were displayed right by the main center aisle. Didn't see any 10W30 as you have to go deeper into the aisle and I was trying to get out of there quickly. You know the new co-owner Mr. C19 may not be very friendly shocked2 I've also read that in Mexico some fill up Evian bottled spring water with tap water ... So api sn may mean nothing over there. Maybe when it's sold in U.S. it has to be real SN but I would not risk it.
 
Messages
5,355
Location
Paramount, California
Originally Posted by Gokhan
A 10W-30 made in Mexico? It is guaranteed to be a Group I dino oil. I wouldn't buy it. Mexico is known for its Group I dino oils. Conventional Group II oil is still too expensive there. If it was a 5W-30, it would have to be Group II+, but since it is 10W-30, it is more than likely Group I, as you can satisfy the CCS/Noack with it. If you want a 10W-30, buy a US-made Group II/II+ conventional oil. Dollar stores sell brand-name US-made conventional Group II/II+ oils for $2.99.
Note that "highly refined mineral oil" on the back label means Group I dino. Therefore, the base oil would have a viscosity index (VI) around 100. Considering that the finished product has a VI = 160, it's loaded with VII. A quick A_Harman index estimate is ~ 0.76, which is about 12% VII, somewhere in the likes of a 5W-50. A quality 10W-30 has little VII. Its base-oil viscosity at 150 °C is ~ 1.7 cP, which is like the base oil of a 0W-16. Unless you think you need a Group I dino oil, you probably don't want to run it in your engine.
 
Messages
13,380
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
Originally Posted by Char Baby
The PQIA has some of this in their testing and it show to be OK! smirk My BIL uses it now & again in his S-10. The price is the equivalent to $2/qt. We can often find highly regarded popular oils on closeout at better prices. But in a pinch it's probably OK. IMO, it's perfect for OPE.
EDIT: My mistake. It was SMB from the Dollar Tree. http://pqiadata.org/SMB10W30.html
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,966
Location
Muncie, Indiana
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Few days ago Kirkland plus 0W20 and 5W30 box were $20 or $21 at Costco. they were $3 off regular price. That's about $2 /qt. they were displayed right by the main center aisle. Didn't see any 10W30 as you have to go deeper into the aisle and I was trying to get out of there quickly. You know the new co-owner Mr. C19 may not be very friendly shocked2 I've also read that in Mexico some fill up Evian bottled spring water with tap water ... So api sn may mean nothing over there. Maybe when it's sold in U.S. it has to be real SN but I would not risk it.
But that doesn't take into account that Costco memberships aren't free. A more fair comparison is Walmart Supertech synthetic for $15 per 5qts, or in these parts Menards FVP full Synthetic for $3/qt for individual quarts.
 
Messages
1,064
Location
New York
Originally Posted by Donald
I would not touch it. Probably does not meet the spec listed on the label.
PQIA seems to think it does... I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but would have no problem using it for top-off, in a beater, or power equipment...
 
Top