Driven with no oil - Wife's 2000 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
What would he gain out of that? He's got a car that's served him over a reasonable lifespan. Any excess money spent on additives or even expensive oil is really flushed down the toilet.

Has any formulator here suggested using it with each oil change?

Here is one mention of it I found fairly easily by Mola.

Anything in the upper cylinder likely gets incinerated during the compression stroke (that's the very upper upper part of the cylinder where the combustion takes place), the particles in CSL fill in surface imperfections all along the cylinder wall including the lower cylinder wall not directly exposed to the extremely high combustion temps. The lower cylinder wall is shielded from combustion temps by the piston.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Not to mention, I'm not concerned about the rings. The car still has good power, doesn't smoke, and is smooth. I'm much more concerned with the main, crank, and cam bearings.

Restore's claim is that its for cylinder walls, not bearing journals.

Using Restore wouldn't hurt but if you're not having excessive blow by or sludge than Restore wouldn't likely do anything for you or any gains would be minimal at best. (ROI???)

Last edited:
How well Restore actually works is up for debate. I'm certainly not sold on the product. Even if it worked as advertised, the ROI is my concern. I'm not sure there's any compelling reason for him to use the product. When he goes to sell it or trade it, a good cleaning and wash will have far more ROI than any can of goop he can pour anywhere. A can of tire dressing would get him more money than a can of Restore.

Originally Posted by Garak
How well Restore actually works is up for debate. I'm certainly not sold on the product. Even if it worked as advertised, the ROI is my concern. I'm not sure there's any compelling reason for him to use the product. When he goes to sell it or trade it, a good cleaning and wash will have far more ROI than any can of goop he can pour anywhere. A can of tire dressing would get him more money than a can of Restore.

Yeah, I don't know that I can argue with that even though I'm a "believer" in Restore. I just don't think it has much to offer in this particular case. And besides, I think the name of the game at this stage is to spend the least amount of money on the ride - not more.

The OP indicates the vehicle was driven with little or no oil. That being the case, an inordinate amount of wear happened wherever there was a lack of full lubrication. Restore fills abrasions wherever metal to metal contact occurs. Want proof?

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I've tested this stuff on shop engines. We had one dog that was 131-145 psi. It's 194-206 psi now.

A can can costs like $6 anyways. Geeze.

The OP indicates the vehicle was driven with little or no oil. That being the case, an inordinate amount of wear happened wherever there was a lack of full lubrication. Restore fills abrasions wherever metal to metal contact occurs. Want proof?

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I've tested this stuff on shop engines. We had one dog that was 131-145 psi. It's 194-206 psi now.
A can costs like $6 anyways. Geeze.

The point I'm making is it's $6 he'll never get back. The idea of well, I have 300,000 miles on the car and it puked out all the oil and all is back in order, so I had better just spend another $6 to try to address an issue that may or may not exist is dubious.

I'll go ahead and end the Restore debate. Its not now, or ever going in this or any of my cars. With very few exceptions I don't do additives.

7/27/2019 - Update.

I like driving home after work on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The route is generally clear so its a perfect time to stress test the car a little. Several full throttle redline pulls and several miles of mid/high RPM (3500+) running.

Still nothing spectacular to report.

I will probably change the oil one more time on Monday (day off) and take a look inside the filter. I'm sure the oil will still show metal, but I have no reason to believe it will be anything greater than some fine sparkle. I've also got to pressure wash the underside. Its still dripping from places and making the car stink at stop signs.

I'm planning on sticking with the 10W30 Havoline. There might be little difference between it and the 5W30, but in my head, sightly thicker is probably the right thing to do.

Well in the video the car sounded fairly good. . A nice positive in this circumstance.

My lady had a massive and sudden failure with a oil pump leaking all the oil out in less than half a mile... A trail of oil that disappeared near a stop light near our place. Car ran for about 6 miles with no oil... Until it seized up...

In this case... Given everything.. . You all may well have gotten very lucky. And for that I am very happy for you all it did thus far.

On a personal note: It kills me every day I drive by the oil trail it left and think about how it went. Actually makes me sick to my stomach. Call it mechanical empathy or what you will, but I actually feel bad for the thing having gone through it. Dunno why, its just an inanimate car.

It would probably be better for a person to have no idea about why and how things work in this case. You could just say 'ohh well, it blew up', but my mind flashes to rapidly spinning, dry, hot bearings grinding themselves to pieces every time I see it.

On a personal note: It kills me every day I drive by the oil trail it left and think about how it went. Actually makes me sick to my stomach.

The oil trail will fade soon enough !
grin.gif

Ha, when my 95 Accord was run down on oil similarly, but over a longer period of time, I was blasting down the highway when the oil light came on. 240,000 miles. I filled it up, drove it home and chagned it. It had about 3/4-1 quart in it Lots of metal and grit in the pan... I beat the [censored] out of that car for YEARS afterward. It finally threw a rod through the block at 386,000 miles.

I'll go ahead and end the Restore debate. Its not now, or ever going in this or any of my cars.

Doesn't bother me one bit. You asked for advice here, and I tried to help you by telling you about a good, documented, proven product that I have personally used with great results. If you don't want its benefit, or $6 is too much for you, simply don't use it.

Good luck and good bye.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I'll go ahead and end the Restore debate. Its not now, or ever going in this or any of my cars.

Doesn't bother me one bit. You asked for advice here, and I tried to help you by telling you about a good, documented, proven product that I have personally used with great results. If you don't want its benefit, or $6 is too much for you, simply don't use it.

Good luck and good bye.

Never asked for advice. Was posting an experience. Never once said anything like 'what should I do', so, there's that. Someone else chose to drag it off topic with a discussion about additives.

www.rif.org

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Ha, when my 95 Accord was run down on oil similarly, but over a longer period of time, I was blasting down the highway when the oil light came on. 240,000 miles. I filled it up, drove it home and chagned it. It had about 3/4-1 quart in it Lots of metal and grit in the pan... I beat the [censored] out of that car for YEARS afterward. It finally threw a rod through the block at 386,000 miles.

One thing we have going is that the wife is a pretty easy driver. She might beat the snot out of the interiors and exteriors, but brakes and tires hold up a long time on her cars because she drives like she's 60. Lol...

Me, notsomuch..

Last edited:
engine could very well have plenty of life left in it. A compression test would give a good idea as to the health of the rings, but if it's driving well and there's not much smoke on startup, it's a great sign. Oil consumption may poison the cat sooner. The filter caught the debris. The oil pump was exposed to debris so I'd be aware it may be weakened to some small degree. She wasn't driving it that long, and she probably wasn't hooning it.

OP, why don't you try some engine restore??? JOKING.

When I put Restore in my Accord it caused an almost instant oil pressure sensor failure, but it did seem to help the engine out.

Last edited:
It's a Honda. It doesn't need oil to run.

I've seen some Honda's go through real [censored], and just shrug it off. This one will most likely be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back