Drive on flat - ruined? Replace?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Conti DWS with ~4-5/32” life remaining.

I left the work parking lot this morning, noticed a rubbing grinding noise, realized what it was, and immediately pulled into the adjacent Dunkin.

It‘s hard to discern in the pictures, but the tire sidewall looks a mess and is kind of mushy. I found a very small, almost indiscernible hole near the sidewall that may or may not be able to repaired.

I‘m looking for new tires now.

Anyway, here are two pics of the tire in question and one of the good remaining ones. Thoughts?

B9451355-B114-4455-A165-2F38AD6C0D37.jpeg
4796AEA3-5CEC-4E43-B687-DBCFFC840CF4.jpeg

^ Or just get one shaved down to match.

New England is a big area so don't know who would do that locally, but some online sellers will, for example.

Looks toasted. From the amount of tread on it it looks like you need a new set anyways (or if its just the outer tread you def need an alignment, probably both!)...

That tire is pretty done.. 4/32 in winter is sketchy unless you run winters on separate wheels?

If I get a whole new set of tires I’ve got some research to do. I haven’t looked in a while. Because my commute is only 15 min to work I’m leaving toward the DWS or a different high performance winter or summer tire; however, I drive pretty sedately 90% of the time. I don’t mind a noisy tire and gas mileage isn‘t an issue. I guess with the few miles I put on per year tread wear isn’t at the top of the list, either. The more I type and think about it the less appealing some LRR, ultra long-lasting tire seems.

^ Or just get one shaved down to match.

New England is a big area so don't know who would do that locally, but some online sellers will, for example.

I’ve thought about that, but is it worth shaving down to 4/32”? I guess I’ll have to see what the cost difference is. Thanks for the link.
It'll never be right again. Replace.

Even if it holds air it will ride like trash.
That tire is garbage.
I think you’re right. I wont plan on using it again. It does hold pressure for a few hours, so I’ll likely put it back on and drive over to get some new tire(s) put on.

Just buy one used tire.

My buddy has what he thinks is the same exact size tire, new. I don’t know any local place that would shave it down. I’m not keen on mixing different tires, either. Thoughts on that?

Looks toasted. From the amount of tread on it it looks like you need a new set anyways (or if its just the outer tread you def need an alignment, probably both!)...

Yep, 4/32” or so tread left, so not much life left. The wear is even across the tire.
I do drive only 5k miles on good roads, so that low tread depth might have gotten me pretty far, so that kind of sucks. The DWS are still great in the rain and dry and aren’t noisy at all.
That tire is pretty done.. 4/32 in winter is sketchy unless you run winters on separate wheels?

I have dedicated snow tires (WS-80s) on steelies for winter; however, it would be nice to not have issues when during freak storms or icy mornings.

Close to a grand for four new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s in the stock size!

Additional question:

The previous owner of these wheels/tires installed 245-45/R18 tires. Stock size is 225-50/R18. The larger tires will be something like $20 or so more per tire, IIRC. Not much of a difference, but I’m not sure I need the extra contact patch for a DD

Last edited:
It was probably low and heating before you got to the parking spot. Can't have been punctured while you were parked.
I left out some superfluous details.

When I left for work Wednesday night (I'm on third right now) the TPMS light came on before I left the neighborhood. The tire was at 18#. I topped it up to 35# and it held pressure while watching it for several minutes. I had the watch that night, so I didn't want to mess with swapping tires/wheels then. Besides, I had my Milwaukee air pump in the car with plans to top it off again before heading home yesterday morning.

Anyway, after a long shift I completely forgot about the tire, which is how I ended up leaving without filling it back up before driving home. I know, in hindsight I should have spent the 20 minutes swapping wheels...I get that.

Back