Drive-In Movie Theater; do-able anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of DRIVE-IN Theaters in Texas!

Gatesville,
Granbury...

....and they built a NEW ONE near Tomball a few years ago!! NEW!!!

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
There is one 10 minutes from my door. They have a small range FM transmitter for sound. Can't remember the station they use but it is a duel screen so they have 2 stations. The sound quality is what your car has. I love it with the subwoofer kicking in while watching movies.
the one in barstow uses the same fm transmitters.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Got a couple near me that are making it. One is on a worthless lot in Barstow,Ca. Probably why its still here lol.

Seems like Barstow would be an ideal spot for a nostalgic theater.

Overall, Im not so sure sitting in your car watching a movie is any better than doing it in a theater. The optics are probably worse, and the audio is likely more difficult to get full effect. Of course, that just means don't show some movies... a drama may not have the same needs as a thriller type movie... That said, if you can get seating and viewing right, it seems like a fun way to watch.

Im sure its all about overinflated revenue targets on movies, and the ability to bolster that with food sales. Much harder to prevent sneaking food into a drive-in.

The movie theaters are barely hanging on. People have huge TVs and sound systems at home now. First run movies will soon be available at home, I predict.

I mostly watch movies on the PC , in HD on a 39" TV .

No surround sound , but I suppose I could hook it up .

Originally Posted By: Leo99
The movie theaters are barely hanging on. People have huge TVs and sound systems at home now. First run movies will soon be available at home, I predict.

Not sure the run of the mill person can afford all that. But it has been the argument forever - wait till it comes out on tape...

These "high end" theater-restaurants seem to be the rage, as well as theaters with much nicer seats, and a LOT fewer of them.

Not everyman's escape anymore, that's for sure.

Hmmmmm....

My truck kills all power (even with key in ACC) and turning the key on and off every 10 minutes would suck.

Also, the blasted interior lights come on when the key is moved.

Sounds like "new tech cars" kills the idea.

One way I could see this working is if it were more an experiment. I would work with a food truck to provide the popcorn and food. Rent a parking lot or other viable area. Unclear on anything with the movie portion. Use social media(near free) along with conventional media(cost) to target the entire spectrum of ages and see what transpires as a proof of concept.

I'd also leave an area in front for kids to conjure instead of cars to try both the drive in and outdoor theater concept.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Hmmmmm....

My truck kills all power (even with key in ACC) and turning the key on and off every 10 minutes would suck.

Also, the blasted interior lights come on when the key is moved.

Sounds like "new tech cars" kills the idea.

In that case , a portable radio probably would be better .

I often have to spend time in the work truck ( 2008 Silverado ) waiting on some one or some thing . I listen to audio books on the stereo .If the weather / temperature is OK & I do not need to run the engine , I turn the key off & on every 10 minutes .

Of course , the audio book does not advance with the key off . A movie sound track would .

Best of luck , :)

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Depends on the location(s). Ours here are really busy-sold out most weekends on popular movies.

I live just around the corner from one in Norton Shores, MI. Used to go there with my women friends years ago. Had a Chevy pick up and we would set lawn recliners up in the box. Oh, the stories I could tell! Every spring when they open for the season, I think it will be their last summer.

Our local drive in went all digital last year so they could show all the new films. It's pretty awesome to see two movies for $7.50 instead of one for $9.50.

I suppose one could make a living from a drive in in the right location, or just as easily lose everything.

But for sure, not the road to fame and fortune as I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back