Dream engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a FMC engineering test mule quite a few years back (before the 4.6 went in the mustang, I believe) where they shoehorned a 5.0L in a Ranger. I think if it had a full-time 4wd system, it shouldnt be too bad.
Another one they put together was a DOHC 4V V10 modular based on the short 4.6L deck in a mustang. With stock 4.6L stroke and bore it happens to come to exactly 351CI. The block, heads, cams and crankshaft were all one off castings. Was called internally the 'BOSS 351'. I would have liked to have seen that produced. That would be a great engine for my car. Muhahaha.

Nismo Spec VQ37VHR would probably be fun hooked to my 6-speed and AWD.

Not a big Sentra fan, but the one above makes me salivate.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Twin turbo ford small block in a 1980 Ford Fairmont. SLEEPER!

Primer gray with some rust.

I actually have a '78 Mercury Zephyr Z7 2 door (same as the Fairmont) with the factory 302. I've surprised quite a few people with this "grandma" car. Most people don't know that the Fairmont/Zephyr share the same Fox platform as the Mustang of the same era.
My plans are to drop in a 460 with a C4 tranny. Yes, it's doable without any cutting. The motor mounts for this swap are still available in the Motorsport catalog. This will be a father/son project.

I also have a '51 Henry J on blocks. Boss 429-based powerplant?? We'll see.

Last edited:
I saw a Fairmont Futura 2 door while riding the train this AM. I was thinking about the V8 version of this ride and how I'd like to have one.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Currently working on a stockish 500hp GN engine into the Opel GT. RWD, 500hp, and 2,200lbs. Still not sure of the trans choice and whether it's going to be a drag setup or road race setup.

Do road race setup for maximum enjoyment. It will be like a Ferrari Dino! Just do it. You already have a drag car.

+1

You guys are right but I went with this engine because I have enough parts laying around to build 10 of them. What I'm afraid of is the low revving narrow powerband high boost nature won't go very well with a manual. Then again, if I don't like it, it's not like I couldn't go back to an auto.

Swap #1: Cummins 4BT into a Jeep Cherokee

Swap #2: Cummins 6BT or ISB6 (basically a Dodge Ram drivetrain) into an 80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Swap #3: 5.7 Hemi into my '73 Satellite

Sadistic swap to get back at all the hot-rod builders who stick a Chevy 350 into vintage Mopars and Fords: A 1-barrel Slant-6 (or a Ford 250, complete with cast-in-head intake manifold) into a '63 Corvette. :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Sadistic swap to get back at all the hot-rod builders who stick a Chevy 350 into vintage Mopars and Fords: A 1-barrel Slant-6 (or a Ford 250, complete with cast-in-head intake manifold) into a '63 Corvette. :p

Lol. Now that's funny.

I love that one! I get bored going down the line of hot rods at the local car show every year and seeing 350 after 350 with chrome and a Fram. So I usually just look at the original classics.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I love that one! I get bored going down the line of hot rods at the local car show every year and seeing 350 after 350 with chrome and a Fram. So I usually just look at the original classics.

In a meet of the same old stuff, I came across a '30 something Ford with a turbo 2.3L, the old SVO one. Judging by the turbo and intercooler, it had the potential to make some serious power.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Agreed. There's a nice one locally with a hopped-up 302 in it, sounds way better, and is a whole lot faster than the standard box-stock 350 jobbies.

Glad to see my jab was appreciated
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
426 Hemi in a 1973 Dodge Colt...

That's certainly wretched excess.... but I think this even tops that:

WhaleHemi.jpg

I forget what the chassis is, I was so distracted by the huffed whale under the hood. It looks like setting the timing would be a "pull the dash and do it from inside" kind of job.

Last edited:
Swap #1: Cummins 4BT into a Jeep Cherokee

Swap #2: Cummins 6BT or ISB6 (basically a Dodge Ram drivetrain) into an 80s Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Swap #3: 5.7 Hemi into my '73 Satellite

Cummins 4BT into my early Bronco (there's a guy on the 'net who's done this and is getting 30+ mpg.) Great engine for off-roading (waterproof, torquey and great MPG's).

BMW 4.8L v8 into my 02 330ci. I guy I met actually dropped a corvette LS6 engine into a bmw 325 and it fit with tons of room to spare (an inline 6 is longer than a v8). He just had to make custom exhaust manifolds to clear the steering shaft.

4.6L based Modular V8 with a 3.700" bore, 3.75" stroke (325 cubic inches), dome pistons giving about 11.5:1, ported FGT heads flowing ~400 cfm, custom cams, Kooks headers with 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped primaries with race type merge collectors, all supporting mods, and a custom sheet metal race intake similar to this (with a bit less runner length):
4V_Intake1.jpg

Should be good for ~600 rwhp N/A on pump gas then hit it with a 200 shot as needed.
grin2.gif

This would go into my current Mustang, which weighs about 3050 lbs without me.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

BMW 4.8L v8 into my 02 330ci. I guy I met actually dropped a corvette LS6 engine into a bmw 325 and it fit with tons of room to spare (an inline 6 is longer than a v8). He just had to make custom exhaust manifolds to clear the steering shaft.

I've got nothing against a creative SBC swap. Heck, I *love* seeing any foreign car get any American engine ;-)

But when it comes to the usual T-buckets, Model A's, and old Dodge trucks I get REALLY tired of the same old SBC/TH350 business. I salivate when a rod pulls into a car show and I see the characteristic valve-covers of a Nailhead Buick V8 or something like that instead of SBC. And I really like it when I see some neat retro-rod hardware like the Whale hemi I posted earlier, or better yet a vintage hot-rodded 40's engine like a Plymouth flathead six with a finned Offy cylinder head, dual-1bbl manifold, and acorn head bolts. Not blistering-fast, but *definitely* a work of craftsmanship and something unique.

One of my neighbor's friends has an early datsun 510 4 door (the boxy one designed to compete with the BMW 2002 - around maybe '71).

He has an '92 mass air efi mustang gt 5.0L engine in it with the tremec T5 behind it and a bassani exhaust. He's got alloy wheels on it from a datsun 280zx and the inner round headlights missing and going into a cold air intake system. It's painted silver and lowered. It looks like a really nice restoration/track car until you hear it fire up. Then it's a sounds like a muscle car. Best of all worlds and a really cool project.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

I've got nothing against a creative SBC swap. Heck, I *love* seeing any foreign car get any American engine ;-)

But when it comes to the usual T-buckets, Model A's, and old Dodge trucks I get REALLY tired of the same old SBC/TH350 business. I salivate when a rod pulls into a car show and I see the characteristic valve-covers of a Nailhead Buick V8 or something like that instead of SBC. And I really like it when I see some neat retro-rod hardware like the Whale hemi I posted earlier, or better yet a vintage hot-rodded 40's engine like a Plymouth flathead six with a finned Offy cylinder head, dual-1bbl manifold, and acorn head bolts. Not blistering-fast, but *definitely* a work of craftsmanship and something unique.

Then you'd like this:

Shannonville004RESIZE.JPG

Shannonville006RESIZE.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back