Drain Filter If I Reuse It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Do you change your air filter every oci too?

Does it matter?
Just let it go.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I would think there are millions of engines out there in the world that have and will continue to last just as long or longer by changing the oil filter every OCI.

That's an interesting comment. I wonder what the stats are in the USA on how many people change a filter each OCI vs. how many people do it every other OCI. If I had to bet I think filters being changed every OCI wins in the USA. If anyone has actual data, not a guess, I'd love to see it.

Originally Posted By: djb
Originally Posted By: widman
Seals are made for single use, single compression. One time. You are risking your engine.

Metallic seals, yes. The soft metal used (aluminum) will work harden.

Elastomer seals... no. Most types eventually harden, but a few compressions hwile they are still flexible won't age them significantly.
People here will call me brainless and I have no actual 'data' to deny it so bullets are accepted. The next content may be harmful for the 3k OCI guys so only read at Your own risk. I will not take any responsibility anyone getting a heartattack.
So here You go: I reused the seals many times only for testing how long they can last. If You do not overtighten them-cause You don't have to-just enough for being fluidtight they can outlast at least 4 filters and about 70k without any leaking issue ever. It is still on the same engine which is a modern high rev and output diesel.

It's probably not a horrible risk to R&R a filter but it is a risk. As I said above, I R&Red one filter four times over 15K miles of operation with no issues. But that's what I call anecdotal information. Simply put, it's a risk. Maybe not a big one but more than starting with a new filter.

Why would you reuse a filter? Unless its an Amsoil extended OCI variety, file this one under penny smart & dollar stupid.

Ide like to chime in here. When i was 20, 1995, had a 85 isuzu i mark hatchback. had learned to do an oil change. 4 months and like 3 miles later, (think it was a fram orange can) i resued the filter. almost a month goes by, and i remember putting the old filter back on, had to turn it a bit more than when first put on, i noticed a little oil leaking on the street. Went under the car, and immediatly noticed oil leaking from the filter gasket!
I paniced, and turned it more. My father i tnk eventualy saw or knew and had it serviced at local mobil station.
So ive learned its a risk. as others stated here, run the mileage, drain the pan, not the filter, or just use a new filter.

lol i also remember from that day, when i took the filter off, before re using it, the gasket so easily came right off the fram filter, like it wanted out or something, get away from the can lol.
reuse=dran pan, not filter.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
lol i also remember from that day, when i took the filter off, before re using it, the gasket so easily came right off the fram filter, like it wanted out or something, get away from the can lol.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

One OCI, Two Filters!
smile.gif

Question, Does Amsoil equate Penny Smart and Dollar Stupid or the inverse. I have never seen a container of any Amsoil product as far as I know.

you're trusting that paper thin paper or "synthetic media" not to tear and dump a big slug of trash right into the bearings.

Pick up filters and oil when you see them on sale.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
While I've removed and replaced filters, in one instance four times, it's risky. The tiny fraction of oil left in the filter really isn't an issue weighty enough to risk the entire engine over. If you are going to run a filter two OCIs, IMO, safest to leave the filter in place.

That about covers it. That said, I too admit to removing a BD+ 3323 when I ran it two ocis in a 3.0L Accord. With it's thread end up orientation a decent amount of oil drains from the engine when the filter is removed, it seems to be much more than what is left in the filter itself. Worked out fine. But, a compromised sealing gasket is the biggest risk with removal and reinstall imo.

Best practice if you're going to do a two oci fci is leave the filter as is.

Agreed.
I run oil filters for 2 oci so a minimum of 10000 miles for tough guards/puro classic/Bosch and I don't bother draining the 1/4 quart of oil that's in the filter. I'd rather not risk breaking the seal and damaging the gasket.
For this ultra filter I've got on now I'm planning on running 20000 miles and get a used oil analysis done only to see if the filter is still working as it should.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Give it up already. Those big letters seem to be trying to compensate for something. Everyone knows your mantra so if that's all you've got to add then your doing nothing more than trolling and polluting the thread.
Add something of value,maybe some data or experience running extended intervals on filters and oil.
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I have been reading that some filter can do 15k, and get more efficient in that time. However 15k is at least twice the OCI that I want to do.

If I choose to reuse a filter, should I at least unscrew it and drain the old oil out?

On both my vehicles, the filter mounts mouth-up, and probably has at least 1/4 quart of oil in it. I'd like to get rid of that oil if it is advisable.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Your just spamming at this point with your wasteful ideology.

Enjoy the extra wear from fresh filter pores letting stuff roam free in your engine.

I don't often agree with you but on this I do wholeheartedly. Those of us who aren't getting our oils and filters for free are interested in finding ways to stretch the dollar,and maybe save some wear in the process.
Regardless. I'll be getting a used oil analysis done when my oil filter has run 20000 miles,unless I see something strange go on with oil pressure since I watch it and oil temps very carefully. If the filter gets loaded up I'm confident something will happen with the oil pressure and alert me.
I'm paying close attention to my gauges and so on so its not like I'm just arbitrarily picking a mileage and will stick to it come heck or high water.
Once I get the oil tested I'll await the results before changing the filter.
Why pay for data then ignore it right.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
While I've removed and replaced filters, in one instance four times, it's risky. The tiny fraction of oil left in the filter really isn't an issue weighty enough to risk the entire engine over. If you are going to run a filter two OCIs, IMO, safest to leave the filter in place.

That about covers it. That said, I too admit to removing a BD+ 3323 when I ran it two ocis in a 3.0L Accord. With it's thread end up orientation a decent amount of oil drains from the engine when the filter is removed, it seems to be much more than what is left in the filter itself. Worked out fine. But, a compromised sealing gasket is the biggest risk with removal and reinstall imo.

Best practice if you're going to do a two oci fci is leave the filter as is.

Agreed.
I run oil filters for 2 oci so a minimum of 10000 miles for tough guards/puro classic/Bosch and I don't bother draining the 1/4 quart of oil that's in the filter. I'd rather not risk breaking the seal and damaging the gasket.
For this ultra filter I've got on now I'm planning on running 20000 miles and get a used oil analysis done only to see if the filter is still working as it should.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Give it up already. Those big letters seem to be trying to compensate for something. Everyone knows your mantra so if that's all you've got to add then your doing nothing more than trolling and polluting the thread.
Add something of value,maybe some data or experience running extended intervals on filters and oil.
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I have been reading that some filter can do 15k, and get more efficient in that time. However 15k is at least twice the OCI that I want to do.

If I choose to reuse a filter, should I at least unscrew it and drain the old oil out?

On both my vehicles, the filter mounts mouth-up, and probably has at least 1/4 quart of oil in it. I'd like to get rid of that oil if it is advisable.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Your just spamming at this point with your wasteful ideology.

Enjoy the extra wear from fresh filter pores letting stuff roam free in your engine.

I don't often agree with you but on this I do wholeheartedly. Those of us who aren't getting our oils and filters for free are interested in finding ways to stretch the dollar,and maybe save some wear in the process.
Regardless. I'll be getting a used oil analysis done when my oil filter has run 20000 miles,unless I see something strange go on with oil pressure since I watch it and oil temps very carefully. If the filter gets loaded up I'm confident something will happen with the oil pressure and alert me.
I'm paying close attention to my gauges and so on so its not like I'm just arbitrarily picking a mileage and will stick to it come heck or high water.
Once I get the oil tested I'll await the results before changing the filter.
Why pay for data then ignore it right.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

^ Do you have any proof that running an oil filter for more than one OCI's is bad? An opinion needs to be based on some form of fact.. not just an intuition.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
^ Do you have any proof that running an oil filter for more than one OCI's is bad? An opinion needs to be based on some form of fact.. not just an intuition.

Do you have any proof, besides an owners manual stating so, that running an oil filter for multiple OCIs is good? How about this, if you do, then continue to run one for multiple OCIs. And, I will change mine every OCI. Capeesh?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Do you have any proof, besides an owners manual stating so, that running an oil filter for multiple OCIs is good? How about this, if you do, then continue to run one for multiple OCIs. And, I will change mine every OCI. Capeesh?
smile.gif

So you don't then.. Good enough answer for me.
grin.gif

Excuse for me for actually addressing the OP's question but, yes, it would be best to drain the old filter before reusing.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Excuse for me for actually addressing the OP's question but, yes, it would be best to drain the old filter before reusing.

My thought is if you're going to remove, drain and reinstall the oil filter, you might as well just put a new filter on. Also, many here agree that R&R of the filter might increase the risk of the base gasket to leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back