Drain Field Slowly Draining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

No burbling toilets since, including after washing a FULL load of clothes. I'm too skeptical to announce it "cured" however, the filter has prevented anything but water from getting to the drain field.

I've also done a few sessions with the balloon installed to force water through the field and pressurize it.

A neighbor gave me a bottle of sulfuric acid, but I decided not to use it. After reading up on the "bio-approach" and enabling existing bacteria to work, I decided to try an experiment. I bought a gallon of 3% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2, $3.52) and a gallon of Medina's soil activator ($13). The septic solution pak included an oxidizer (potassium and sodium peroxide) and a gallon of beneficial bacteria....at a much higher price (ea about $40/ga.)

Medina Inc said their product can be used to 'bio-remediate' both septic tanks and drain fields (whatever that means) and they market a similar product as such, Actinovate. Due to its low-cost, I figured what do I have to lose?

The H2O2 will release O2 down in the drain field, hopefully enabling some aerobic (vs anaerobic bacteria).

First, there's been a water pressure issue in my neighborhood. My water pressure has risen from 75 to 82 to now 100psi. The "water balloon" manufacturer warns against using water pressure over 50psi. I have two pressure regulators used for drip systems. The first limits it to 25psi, the second to 47psi. I tested both of these with my higher pressure and measured 35psi and 65 respectively. I need something in-between. I used the 25psi regulator and forced water into the field to wet everything. Flow rate at this pressure is 3-1/2ga/min according to the water meter.

I let it run for about 10min. Pulled the balloon out to add a gallon of H2O2 and then reinserted the balloon and pressured it for another 10min. Removed it, dumped in 1/2ga. MSA, reinserted the balloon and forced water in for about 30 minutes.

My goal is to get these products into the field where hopefully they can go to work and do some good. This may not be enough since I don't currently know the size of my drain field. I plan on checking up with the county health dept to see if the builder filed anything with them.

I have noticed a balloon built to withstand 100psi of water pressure (vs. my 50psi limit) at a locally owned Ace hardware store. The cost was $30 vs. the box stores price of $20.

Being able to block the drain line to the field while pressuring it with water (and air) is quite handy. Anyone with a slow line or clog would find one of these usefull and inexpensive (compared to more expensive measures).

I'd get the 100psi model if I had it to do over again. More pressure is better.

Time will tell......

I did talk to a neighbor who had a firm come out, and water-jet both of their drain fields at a cost of about $1500. This has corrected their drainage issues...for about 3 years. (They do LOTS of wash). Nothing has backed up since. This bears further research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back